"Basketball Mafia" does not want hockey at SLU

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

I may be wrong, but i believe saint louis university lease chaifetz to an outside promoter.   in turn the promoter brings in acts and shows to use the facility, including slu events.  i would be shocked if slu doesnt get first dibs on any and all days at a set price that is a "deal" for slu.   

my guess is that the promoter would consider anything and  all things assuming they arent losing money.   i.e. who's paying for making it possible to have ice and prepare the ice each time?  therefore even if the dates could be secured saint louis university would still be faced with the task of putting in ice in all likelihood.   as someone above mentioned, the BoT isnt going for this and dont be asking the good doctor to pony up again.   as Taj suggested, go find another doc chaifetz who loves hockey to make it happen.  they not only would be faced with the ice issue, but the additional costs of adding another sport including the title IX issues.   point is, this isnt going to happen. 

You are right unless it has changed,and I don’t believe it has.  Chaifetz  is run by an outside promoter. Same thing with food service and their 10 dollar beer. I can’t see any way the U would start a hockey program. I believe when Chaifets was designed they correctly made the decision to preclude hockey in their dimensions.

• 5 months later...

Mafia went legit- doesn’t everyone know that?

also Chicago and Kansas City had real mafia not Saint Louis.

you must not remember when players MBB players complained when we played with ice under the wood floor.

why couldn’t SLU play where Blues play?  Why did city tear down the Arena- it was built to last?

3 minutes ago, GOSLU68 said:

Mafia went legit- doesn’t everyone know that?

also Chicago and Kansas City had real mafia not Saint Louis.

you must not remember when players MBB players complained when we played with ice under the wood floor.

why couldn’t SLU play where Blues play?  Why did city tear down the Arena- it was built to last?

are you the booster that is going to buck up for the cost of the sport?    our BoT is on the cheap and hates the cost of billiken sports now but you think they are going to create 2 new sports (title IX) means they will have to add a womans sport with equal scholarships and facilities.   good luck.   

AGB91 likes this

41 minutes ago, slu72 said:

The majority of our resources should be BB centered. Both men’s and women’s. I’m hopeful the women’s team can generate some real excitement as well and pull in good crowds. Stone appears to have them headed in the right direction. 

actually i doubt any sport is in the black except men's basketball.  i'm not privy to the books though.   as far as we know one of the sports has a sugar momma that pays the freight.   i have no problem with such and if true let them have all that funder gives em.  

On 3/19/2020 at 10:06 PM, White Pelican said:

I seem to remember hockey at Chaifetz coming up on here before. Anyway, a hockey rink is 200 ft by 85 ft. A basketball floor is 94 ft by 50 ft. Can you begin to see the problem here?

Ain't gonna fit. And to make it fit? Build another arena.

or have the games played at Enterprise. 

13 hours ago, Brighton said:

or have the games played at Enterprise. 

Then you are right back where you were with BB - sharing an arena with a pro team who also rents it out for other events leaves you with very few choice dates.  When we had a hockey team the Checker Dome was given to us for free - I doubt Enterprise Center would be free to us.

billiken_roy and AGB91 like this