JJ suspended from team indefinitely

DeSmetBilliken

I dont' think anyone truly believed he would ever be a factor for the Billikens. In all the discussions we've had about this year's team, the talk about PF always was about Vasshun and IO. Too bad because I gather from everyone whose observed him thought he had the talent but the desire and heart was never there. Can't fault UB for taking a flyer on him, given the situation he inherited back in 2002, he needed bodies. Wonder what he did?

i totally agree with willie and slu72. the shame is the talent this young man has which is obvious when watching him in his rare bursts of "i care". too bad. let's hope justin realizes he is probably down to his last chance and finally wakes up.

3/4 of the board was screaming to get him more playing time last year. For a team having trouble holding on to recruits, losing any player is big deal. That said, he did break the rules and I hope he can play his way back on the team. If not, then we have a shorter bench but hte rules are there for a reason.

For the record, I have no expectation that he will play himself back onto the team.

it is a good point butch that this is a serious happening. and the fact it comes at what i consider our weakest or at least most unproven position, power forward, speaks volumes for what he apparently did.

>It kind of looks like Coach Soderberg's patience with this

>young man is running out. It's up to Johnson to toe the

>mark or he won't be a Billiken anymore.

I would guess that Schasz has the right take on the situation. Coach is running out of patience on JJ and he needs to straighten up / fly straight or his days as a Billiken are done. I've been pulling for my namesake to contribute. We don't exactly have spare athletic 6'8" players just hanging around.

Tough case. JJ is not the first promising Billiken to flameout and won't be the last.

I doubt if this is a serious offense. Any alcohol or drug thing would be news for the local scribes and would result in JJ being thrown out of school. This does not appear to be the case. Same with any type of law breaking. Most likely skipping class or some sort of repeated team rule breaking.

I'm surprised, u would think JJ would already know he's skating on thin ice. But u live and learn, at least he can work is way back into the playing rotation.

But it's time for Coach to put his foot down, u can't be soft in College Basketball. So many players take their opportunity for granted. He needs to remind his players that it's a hundred other kids prepared to take their place if they can't play hard, stay out of trouble, achieve acadmeically and respect the program. I can tell u from Nova, the coaches had NO problem sitting people down, or suspending them. Even if u were a senior, the star on the team, if your performance was poor, or your attitude was nasty, or your work ethic was one of failure, u didn't play. Truth be told that's why Reg racked up so much time in his Freshman year, the guys were taking their position for granted. When they started seeing Reg get their time, they slowly began to shape up, but eventually riding that bench more than they wanted to, because of their issues.

Hopefully JJ and all the guys for that matter get it together. I'm not sure all the players put their all into the game.

both of those reasons would make sense with the report that he will have the opportunity to work his way back onto the team. buying those reasons, he now has to work out by himself and demonstrate a top attitude to get back on the team.

i was never a college level athlete, but i played a lot of sports in my day. i would have given about anything to have the physical skills and chance that justin has and it boggles my mind that he doesnt get it. too bad for the young man.

brehms, i for one really appreciate your input. i hope you never leave the board, even after reggie graduates. you are just a great poster that always has a point that is well worthy of continued discussion. thanks! here's hoping you are now a lifetime billiken!

I concur Roy, Brehms is a great contributor. Wasn't there a rumor also that TF was out of shape as well? One would think these older guys would know what it takes to compete at the D-1 level by now. Are the coaches allowed to monitor a player in the off season by that I mean, checking on visits to the weight room, giving them a practice routine and following up on it, etc. for the life of me I can't figure out JJ. Here he's got almost a clear road to the starting PF and he chucks it aside. If this report is true you'd have to conclude he just doesn't have the desire for college hoops.

Well the guys that stayed for the summer, did work out and were supposed to be in the weight rooms etc. I know Reg did his weights, even when he came home, he would sit with our father during the day and in the evenings he would hit the weights.....So the opportunity was there for the guys to take advantage.

I asked Reg last night what was up, of course he doesn't know anything for sure, coach told them same thing he told the news, so all they know is he still has a chance to get back into mix. I asked Reg, since he was his roommate last year, had he ever talked to JJ about Basketball etc.......how things work....he says all the time. But he can only talk, JJ is a grown man and makes his own decisions, plus he said some of the players are young and they'll learn as they grow.

Tom had individual workouts (away from the team) but has started back with the team this week.

i have heard that huggins is a demon in practices for the bearcats. as mean as it gets. however i concur on scum calipari. his whole success seems to be about loading the roster. and he is as good of a recruiter as there is.

pitino is the coach to study. i was lucky enough to have seats 2 rows back at the conference tourney two seasons ago and got to watch pitino up close. he was never the bad guy. each assistant coach had charge of part of the roster. if a player screwed up in the game, pitino went over and chewed out that assistant coach. during a timeout, you would see each assistant run out to greet "his players" and give the necessary negative feedback. in the huddle, pitino was all about motivation and instruction. i can only believe the practices are the same way. while i am not a fan of "slick rick" that doesnt mean i dont respect the hell out of his results. you sure cant argue with what he has accomplished.

first off he has only been there 3 years. and he didnt inherit a powerhouse as crum had let things fall off pretty badly if you consider the louisville history.

telfair would never have fit any system anyway. too selfish. imo his not coming was not as big a setback as it appears. i love garcia. imo he is the pippen of college basketball. while he isnt the point guard per se, you will see him involved all the time and the offense will always run through him. right now, i think he is a great candidate to be poy.

as to what louisville has or has not accomplished, pitino got them back to the ncaa tourney and has consistently had them in the upper echelon's of the rated teams. a lot of programs would consider any of the last three seasons of the louisville team a high mark in their history.