Jump to content
Billikens.com Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
ARon

2020 Thanksgiving Tournament

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Thinking generally about 2020 (and beyond) scheduling.  We really should try to get Kentucky and/or UNC on the schedule.  Maybe they want to get Cameron Fletcher / Caleb Love hometown games.  We know that Roy Williams does this because he did it with Tyler Hansbrough.  I’m not sure if Calipari does it (they never came to STL when Harrelson was there).  Try to turn a negative of losing out on top STL recruits into a positive of getting a home and home vs an elite program.

I’m not sure if those guys are 1 and done qualify players which would hurt our chances.

We should also be trying the same w Texas / Ramey and Ohio State / EJ Liddell.

The "play a game in your hometown city" thing is basically for upperclassmen only. The one-and-done factories can't do it with all the roster turnover they have otherwise they'd be playing 6-8 non-conference road games every year. Looking back at previous seasons, schools like Duke and Kentucky never play on the road, but UNC does have a couple of head scratchers so maybe those were travel games for their upperclassmen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kshoe said:

 but UNC does have a couple of head scratchers so maybe those were travel games for their upperclassmen.

Roy always schedules some low major local schools away. This year it's UNC Wilmington. In the past he's played Elon, UNC Greensboro, Wofford, UNC Asheville, etc.. Maybe to keep the UNC  alums in those cities happy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Roy always schedules some low major local schools away. This year it's UNC Wilmington. In the past he's played Elon, UNC Greensboro, Wofford, UNC Asheville, etc.. Maybe to keep the UNC  alums in those cities happy. 

I would think it's the latter, ie the alums. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Roy always schedules some low major local schools away. This year it's UNC Wilmington. In the past he's played Elon, UNC Greensboro, Wofford, UNC Asheville, etc.. Maybe to keep the UNC  alums in those cities happy. 

Was tuning in to the ACC network before the BC game. Roy said he tries to travel to upperclassmen's hometown's and also tries to play former assistants to give them a quality game on their schedule. example: UNCW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife is on board with this trip.  We might have to take the kids to Disney while we're down there, but that's just the price you gotta pay with something like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would think Travis with his UK connections could get us a game at Rupp. Of course after the E'ville fiasco, Calipari's gonna be extra careful what mids he puts on his schedule. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Box and Won said:

My wife is on board with this trip.  We might have to take the kids to Disney while we're down there, but that's just the price you gotta pay with something like this.

Go for it Box, something for you and your wife plus something for the kids. Wonderful plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2019 at 8:45 AM, RUBillsFan said:

Thinking generally about 2020 (and beyond) scheduling.  We really should try to get Kentucky and/or UNC on the schedule.  Maybe they want to get Cameron Fletcher / Caleb Love hometown games.  We know that Roy Williams does this because he did it with Tyler Hansbrough.  I’m not sure if Calipari does it (they never came to STL when Harrelson was there).  Try to turn a negative of losing out on top STL recruits into a positive of getting a home and home vs an elite program.

I’m not sure if those guys are 1 and done qualify players which would hurt our chances.

We should also be trying the same w Texas / Ramey and Ohio State / EJ Liddell.

Wouldn't mind brining Louisiana / Jalen Johnson here to fill one of our lower-level buy games next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UNC played is here to give Tyler Hansborough  “home” game. That turned into a home and home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2019 at 2:30 PM, kshoe said:

This tournament is very exciting and certainly a great field. The reality of it is that we HAVE to win the first game to get a truly great experience from it.

We know we won't play Auburn because we already will have a regular season game with them. I suspect they'll seed to some extent and Michigan St and Gonzaga will be the two top seeds.

We don't play Auburn here until 2021-2022.  We go to Auburn 2022-2023.  I thought it was strange when it was announced last summer that 2020 would be skipped, but likely this tourney was already in the works and now that makes sense.

Top four seeds are obvious, MSU, Gonzaga, Xavier and Auburn.  SLU, Belmont, Boise State and Siena will be lined up against one of those four. We could be playing Auburn four years in a row.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/slu-basketball-has-three-game-deal-with-auburn-starting-this/article_b2d618f4-8fae-5f37-8730-8609e3abb770.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...