Question for true SLU fans.

SLUShocker

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a fan of both.  My father was a big Mizzou fan and I have lived in Missouri my whole life.  I went to SLU, am a season ticket holder for about 10 years, and have been to a road game each of the last 6 years.  I cheer for both, but bleed Billiken blue.

58 minutes ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Only time Mizzery concerned me was when we played them in the late 90's early 2000s.

Some great games with tremendous crowds. It's shame they won't play us.

We meaning SLU not NC? Anyone else see NC/SPUMAC at the Checkerdome '82 I think? My only time seeing Jordan.

The not playing us thing sucks just like it sucks so many NCAA games are buys, mismatches etc. Who really cares that we can beat Morehead St. and remember how much fun it was to lose. I wish more sports used handicaps.

15 hours ago, almaman said:

We meaning SLU not NC? Anyone else see NC/SPUMAC at the Checkerdome '82 I think? My only time seeing Jordan.

Not really a UNC fan, I only put that down because I live in NC.

I did pull for them in the national championship games, especially when they played Nova. Don't really hate Nova just the Big East. That's because the Big East never admitted us.

BTW, loved to have seen that game with Jordan, Sam Perkins and James Worthy. What a team.

20 hours ago, SLUShocker said:

Now I am a true Shocker fan, and I see some WSU-Kansas fan hatred/rivalry. Does the same thing happen here?

I mentioned in another thread last week that I had a terrific experience in Wichita a few years ago when SLU played there. The fanbase treated us tremendously. No hatred from this guy!

4 hours ago, tarheelbilliken said:

I did pull for them in the national championship games, especially when they played Nova. Don't really hate Nova just the Big East. That's because the Big East never admitted us.

BTW, loved to have seen that game with Jordan, Sam Perkins and James Worthy. What a team.

I was going to say and MU folks but besides Norm can't quickly say who was on Tigers team. :)

5 hours ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Matt Daugherty the old coach was on that team, too, I believe. 

43 minutes ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Your right Bobby. So was Buzz Peterson. Buzz coached the Vols when I lived in Tennessee. I believe Buzz is now associated with the Hornets Front Office. .

Stacked team! Also, Mitch Kupchek (spelling might be off) of the Lakers? Might not have been that era but UNC has matriculated its fare share of front office execs just as well as NBA hardwood stars. 

8 hours ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Your right Bobby. So was Buzz Peterson. Buzz coached the Vols when I lived in Tennessee. I believe Buzz is now associated with the Hornets Front Office. .

10 hours ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

Matt Daugherty the old coach was on that team, too, I believe. 

Matt Doherty

On 1/27/2018 at 2:35 AM, prebilliken said:

Not to start anything here, because I really don't know why this upsets everyone so much, I would say it breaks down into four descending categories in order of SLU fans in terms of relationship with SLU and Mizzou. 

1) The Largest Group- The vast majority of SLU fans, does not like Mizzou. We rue that they don't play us, we hate that they brush off not playing us so easily, and we see them as a direct roadblock to SLU's own success. There are varying levels within this group itself about whether or not we should play Mizzou, or whether or not that is important in hating them. I am a member of this group, yet I passionately want to play Mizzou.  I think the game would be good for the game across the state. This group ranges from levels of rationality to irrationality, though believe it or not, I do believe Mizzou represents a "Natural" rival for SLU. 

2) Perhaps about a third to a quarter of the group- This group is in different and unconcerned about Mizzou, about the series. Though the do not outwardly support Mizzou at all. 

3) A rarity- Fans of both programs, or maybe fans of Mizzou football and SLU basketball. These people have their reasons to varying degrees. And though I am a member of group 1, they do not bother me all that much. 

4) Perhaps non-existent- People that went to SLU but pull for Mizzou. If I knew such people existed, I'd shame them personally.  

Ashamed to say my brother is in category #4. And he represented SLU athletically!

I love the Billikens and bleed alma mater blue.

I color the blue a little and root for Penn State football.

I root for the Eagles and follow the Phillies and Flyers.  I casually observe from afar the Sixers.  (I'll take states of origin for $1,000, Alex).

Pro sports are mercenary; no thanks.  Being somewhat removed from the local breeding, I always found it interesting that some Slu-ers despised you if you liked anything Mizzou but were less hateful if you rooted for the Illini.  I found it interesting in 1979 when Louisville played then #1 Mizzou with Stipo at the Checkerdome.   Was there in the bird's nest yellow seats in an end zone.   Believe i rooted for Mizzou that game but as a casual observer.

The two teams that have my heart, and always will, are the Billikens and the Baseball Cardinals.  And I am less than enamored currently with the powers that be in both cases.

Every NFL team I've rooted for has moved:  Football Cardinals (I was every bit as big of a Big Red fan as a Baseball Cardinal fan), 49ers (yes, we consider the 38 mile, 2 Area Code, 2 County move to Santa Clara to be a move), Rams, and now the RAIDERS.  I have had Oakland Raiders Season Tickets since the team returned to Oakland from LA in 1995.  I have had much more interest in the RAIDERS the last 3 years, and declared to my son, also a true RAIDER, in '16 that I'm "all in" with the Silver & Black.  We are happy to have Coach Jon Gruden back with the RAIDERS, while aware of the dark cloud of the team moving away in 2 years.  We don't even know where the RAIDERS will be playing in 2019, as their lease at the Oakland Coliseum is up after the 2018 season. 

Hockey:  Blues, but Hockey really only starts in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.  The Blues' quest for the illusive Stanley Cup is approaching chicago cub level and/or the Search for the Holy Grail.  Sharks?  No; Real Men don't wear Teal.

NBA:  Our Hometown Golden State Warriors are a fun team to watch, Steph Curry, who just last night hung 49 points on the Boston Celtics, Kevin Durant, Klay Thompson, Draymont Green (from Michigan State and Rick Majerus' last game).  But their great success has priced out the Plebeians and made the Dubs the Domain of the Elite.

Missouri is irrelevant bc we dont play them,,, i see our biggest rivals as dayton and butler, wish xavier didnt leave the a-10,, that was definitely a rivalry

but in all honesty ,, the year we beat butler three times definitely made butler fans bitter towards us to the point they played us in our non-conf this year but the fact we lost so bad this year may not see a rematch,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,