The Bills and Dayton even

The Wiz

Well this should be an interesting game.

SLU remains at C+....Dayton comes in at B-.   I ran this game a few ways.....In addition to the basic run ...I did a trending run (last 7 games)....using that ...we win by 2....Then I ran an OT run ...we lose by 2.  So why will this be an interesting game other than it will be close?  Well let's look at the report card to get some clues ...i have added a couple of new stats for this game to help.....

....................SLU...............OFF.............Day.....................................SLU....................DEF..................Day

PPG..............F.......................................D+ ........................................A-.............................................C

FG%.............D-......................................A- .......................................B-................................................D

2P%.............D......................................A+ (4th in nation)....................B................................................D+

3P%.............F........................................C-........................................C................................................D-

FT%.............F+.....................................B..................................................................................................

Reb............C-.......................................F-........................................B+..................................................B+

Top performers in the nation

Steals... Goodwin....35st

Blks.......French........54th

2p%.......Cunningham.....4th...with a whopping 74.5%

FG%....Cunningham...........9th (67.7%)

Reb....Cunningham..........53rd

FT%....D. Davis....97th (87.1%)

Mr Dayton is Cunningham. One of the best shooters inside the arc in the nation as well as a great rebounder....Stop him and we win.. The Achilles heel for Dayton is their D....Of course , this means we have to shoot well. Another weak spot for the Flyers is OFF Reb grading out at F-....Part of this is brcause they shoot great from inside (nothing to rebound) and part they don't try to rebound on OFF ...maybe they drop back quickly because they figure they will make the shots.

Bottom line....another nail biter.  Stop Cunningham....13 pts & 7 reb... TOs... no more than 12...we have been pretty good this year about taking care of the ball but the VCU game with 18 was terrible.....we should be able to out rebound them with the difference being offensive rebounding. They are a pretty good FT shooting team ...could be the difference in a close game....don't foul D Davis...especially down the stretch.  Finally make some 3s and FTs and we win.....45 /35 /72.....Remember...they have poor defense but we still have to make some shots.

8 minutes ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

The Dayton site went into Beast Mode on the Arch-Baron Cup...this is actually pretty damn funny:

http://www.blackburnreview.com/an-abridged-history-of-the-arch-baron-cup/

Impressive work. I particularly liked this part...

I don’t want Saint Louis to be primarily known as the school to go to for sexual assault. Sure, that’s become our thing, but I’d like success in the Arch Baron Cup to define what it means to be a Billiken. Not the sex stuff.

–Kevin Lisch, St. Louis (2005-2009)

majerus mojo likes this

Fact Check:  The 1981 Game, a glorious 78-66 SLU victory under Coach Ron Ekker, was played at The Checkerdome (The St. Louis Arena), not at Kiel Auditorium, although the doors at Kiel may well have been closed with no audience there, and to paraphrase Marty Brennaman, thousands of loyal fans were disguised as empty Blue and Yellow Checkerdome seats.  In those days Billiken Basketball “Burns Them.”

The budding Dayton rivalry had such potential back then. It was a stealth rivalry.  We didn’t even know it existed, nor what it was to become.

This is the 1st I heard of the Arch-Baron Cup. Loved the part about the UD fan stabbed by a Billiken fan. Like Blackburn's sense of humor.

Good to know we have rival even though we have not lived up to our part of the deal the last few years.

Lets get them on Saturday.

Let's start off with a quote from the VCU by 1  thread ...post game analysis....At the end of that post I said....."young and inexperienced teams lose games like these and learn and win next time".  This is exactly what happened....we lost a heart breaker last time after having a 13 pt lead in the 2nd half.  This time we had a 13 pt lead  in the 2nd half and we won.  We learned and we won. Let's look at the good ...the not so good...and the excellent.

The good.....

FG%....44.2%...almost right on target...Stop Cunningham ...I had said 13 pts and 7 reb....he had 16 pts and 5 reb and just as important...28 min...he usually plays 35 min when not in foul trouble.

Don't foul D Davis....we didn't....while he shot his usually great numbers (100%) he only had 2 FT shots.

Not so good ....

They out rebounded us...not by much though 32-28...we should have beat them on Off reb too....again close...9-9

The excellent....

TOs....5....this is actually beyond excellent....8 or 9 is excellent....this was the game changer...and tied to this stat was TO differential.....13-5=8 which lead to us outscoring them on TOs 24-5 =19pts...put that in your pipe and smoke it.  And this coming off the VCU game where we had 18 TOs...learn and win...we did

50% from 3pt range...Remember this is a team that has an F from the arc...and we didn't just take a few shots....we took 18...A+ shooting....great going

80% from the FT line....Again our grade from the charity stripe is an F+..... This is A+ shooting....and also not just a few shots but 25 attempts.

Most amazing play.....FT bank shots back to back by French at a crucial moment in the game.

And finally let's end with another quote from the bottom line of my original post on this thread........"let's make some 3s and FTs and  we win"

Learn and win.