Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

8 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Good chance Tilmon goes after next season. Which means they wouldnt play together.  So, gotta hope Tilmon improves?

a lot of people say that but that confuses me.  tilmon needs to show some consistent excellence if you ask me.   no doubt he has potential. but the only thing he is fairly consistent on is fouling.   not sure if going to play for all talk martin was the best thing for him.   if you think about it, he hasnt had a good setting to grow up in and learn in likely in his entire life.   i hope he does well, but.............

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Yeah i was just focused on the locals (should have added Thatch I guess) but yes, French will be an even bigger beast in 2 years. 

i love french.   he has so much potential beyond what we are already getting from him.   and gordon is loaded as well.   imo liddell is better than both right now.   he can step outside and shoot, he is the best free throw shooter on his team.  when they get full court pressure often he is the one bringing the ball down the floor.   and that all gets added to his nearly triple double (pts, rebs, and blocks) every game. 

my understanding is the beagles may try him on the wing this summer.   if he succeeds there, next winter the belleville west games will be a who's who of college coaches imo.    right now the blue bloods are probably being cautious because he is only 6'7" tall.   but if he becomes a 6'7" wing, ........... oh boy.  

3 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

I was just kidding, but I appreciate the insight, Roy. Hopefully he’s friends with Goodwin and/or Thatch as well.

i dont remember but thinking goodwin didnt play aau last summer.   liddell didnt play with the beagles top group the summer of 16.   so not sure how close they are.   i know nothing about relationships with thatch and gordon.   

10 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i love french.   he has so much potential beyond what we are already getting from him.   and gordon is loaded as well.   imo liddell is better than both right now.   he can step outside and shoot, he is the best free throw shooter on his team.  when they get full court pressure often he is the one bringing the ball down the floor.   and that all gets added to his nearly triple double (pts, rebs, and blocks) every game. 

my understanding is the beagles may try him on the wing this summer.   if he succeeds there, next winter the belleville west games will be a who's who of college coaches imo.    right now the blue bloods are probably being cautious because he is only 6'7" tall.   but if he becomes a 6'7" wing, ........... oh boy.  

You definitely have me sold. Is Hargrove just a notch below? 

2 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

You definitely have me sold. Is Hargrove just a notch below? 

ive only seen hargrove maybe 5x, once this year.   he is a nice player.   but i dont know if he is a show stopper potential like goodwin, french, gordon and liddell.    dont get me wrong, i would love hargrove to be a billiken.   but i dont have the passion for that dream like i do for gordon and liddell to join french and goodwin. 

17 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

a lot of people say that but that confuses me.  tilmon needs to show some consistent excellence if you ask me.   no doubt he has potential. but the only thing he is fairly consistent on is fouling.   not sure if going to play for all talk martin was the best thing for him.   if you think about it, he hasnt had a good setting to grow up in and learn in likely in his entire life.   i hope he does well, but.............

I would disagree with your take on Martin since most people have said Tilmon has actually done better than expected this season.  I get the Mizzou hate here but I feel he has progressed well this season.  Also not trying to start a pissing match about Martin and Mizzou.  Just that Tilmon I think has done well this season.

1 minute ago, Slubills23 said:

I would disagree with your take on Martin since most people have said Tilmon has actually done better than expected this season.  I get the Mizzou hate here but I feel he has progressed well this season.  Also not trying to start a pissing match about Martin and Mizzou.  Just that Tilmon I think has done well this season.

but nba well?   i say no. a lot of players improve and play well.  but how many are truly nba good?   i say tillmon isnt there yet and his showing of "potential" isnt say jason tatum like enough to go on that alone.   

but you are right on one thing.   i hate mi$$ouri.   and they deserve all the hate we can throw their way.   i would love for them to get in as say a 6 or 7 seed and get beat by some 10 or 11 seed first game.   

2 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Roy mentioning the gym being packed next year got me wondering, has Liddell stated any timeline on committing?  Does he plan on signing in the fall or will he wait until the spring? 

i have heard from people that have talked to his father that he has not mentioned any favorite or any timeline.   i think he just likes playing basketball and being a kid right now.   btw, supposedly he is an excellent student.   and to be fair i have heard the same about hargrove's academics.  

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

but nba well?   i say no. a lot of players improve and play well.  but how many are truly nba good?   i say tillmon isnt there yet and his showing of "potential" isnt say jason tatum like enough to go on that alone.   

but you are right on one thing.   i hate mi$$ouri.   and they deserve all the hate we can throw their way.   i would love for them to get in as say a 6 or 7 seed and get beat by some 10 or 11 seed first game.   

Oh absolutely agree the NBA talk right now is very premature for him.  I really hope he continues to perform well and progress and is able to get to the league but I think next year is a possibility but again it would be a big jump for him.  Sorry didn't full understand your point my fault.  I know the hate for Mizzou runs strong here.  But I do appreciate your insight thanks. 

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i have heard from people that have talked to his father that he has not mentioned any favorite or any timeline.   i think he just likes playing basketball and being a kid right now.   btw, supposedly he is an excellent student.   and to be fair i have heard the same about hargrove's academics.  

Good stuff.  Thanks for the info.  It'll be interesting to watch where Ford is this summer because when he wants a kid and thinks he can get the kid, he seems to go to basically everything for them to show them how high of a priority they are.  

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 11:24 AM, RiseAndGrind said:

I hope we get something Unexpected but I’m thinking 2019 is going to be blah recruiting year.

It's really hard to say until we see 2018 close out. We still don't even know how many scholarships we're giving out this spring - at least publicly - let alone who the remaining ones will go to. Ford has also expressed that he might carry a scholarship or two over, so we might have more in 2019 to give than expected.

Still, even if we only had 2 scholarships to give (from Bess and Foreman), the potential is there to make a big statement with those spots. When you look at the 2019 offer list, there are only a few guys I'm lukewarm on, and I'd be happy to land any of the rest. When you look at local kids we've offered, I'd take any of them.

Liddell is a truly special player. He's risen more rapidly in the recruiting rankings than just about anyone else in 2019, and even now that he's cracked the top 50, he might still be somewhat undervalued. His work ethic, instincts, and basketball IQ set him apart. Good kid, good student, parents are involved. He's everything you'd want in a recruit. Problem is, Mizzou is making him their top 2019 priority and a few other programs are all over him, as well. I think this summer will see him go to the next level, though, and start really drawing the bluebloods out.

49 minutes ago, Slubills23 said:

Respectfully disagree with this, here are the numbers.

FG% .576, Ft% .477, RB avg 4.1, assists 14, turnovers 62, PF 107 in 30 games, scoring avg 8.1.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

I agree with this.  Clear upside, but he's got some work to do.  

I'd actually rather have French right now, though I recognize Tillmons got a few inches on him so the ceiling may be a little higher.

25 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

Hopefully we are utilizing Justin Love in Liddell's recruitment.

unfortunately (for us not justin) justin got the varsity coaching job at mascoutah high school this year so he isnt around ej everyday any longer.   so not sure how much contact justin has with ej any longer.  when ej came to the billiken game a couple of weeks ago, that was alumni day and after justin was introduced with the other alumni that day at halftime he did go over and have some time with ej.   

Matty Light likes this

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

I think the best position for EJ in college is the wing.  If he is going to play in the NBA that is where it will be for EJ.  Ford should be pointing out to EJ we are stocked at the 4 and the 5 so there is no chance he would have to play the 4 out of necessity.  He can come to SLU, play the wing from day one and shine for the NBA scouts.

Zink likes this

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think the best position for EJ in college is the wing.  If he is going to play in the NBA that is where it will be for EJ.  Ford should be pointing out to EJ we are stocked at the 4 and the 5 so there is no chance he would have to play the 4 out of necessity.  He can come to SLU, play the wing from day one and shine for the NBA scouts.

i think the wing position (if he can successfully play it) gives ej the most potential after college.   if slu would promise him that, then i agree it would be a bigtime recruiting advantage.   soderberg did the same thing with liddell promising him the point guard spot and ford did the same thing with goodwin promising him the point guard spot.   i believe both of those situations swung their thinking to the billikens.   

2 hours ago, CBFan said:

Respectfully disagree with this, here are the numbers.

FG% .576, Ft% .477, RB avg 4.1, assists 14, turnovers 62, PF 107 in 30 games, scoring avg 8.1.

As a freshman big who has had trouble with fouls early and not so much lately I would say those are good stats.  Are they amazing no but he is also only averaging 19 minutes a game.  Just saying they are good numbers and if SLU had that would be a big help no?  I mean French has very similar numbers and I feel he has had a good season or done well.  Especially according to most here.

32 minutes ago, Slubills23 said:

As a freshman big who has had trouble with fouls early and not so much lately I would say those are good stats.  Are they amazing no but he is also only averaging 19 minutes a game.  Just saying they are good numbers and if SLU had that would be a big help no?  I mean French has very similar numbers and I feel he has had a good season or done well.  Especially according to most here.

A week ago he fouled out against UK and only played 13 minutes.