SLU v. Duquense GDT

SluSignGuy

Are you Jollys dad? Uncle? Lover?

I'll say it again... if Jolly didn't look like a clean cut suburban kid, people of MB's ilk would be calling him a punk or a thug. They want to believe he is "gym rat" or a "coach on the floor", but the whining at the refs, talking trash, playing dirty, and moping suggest otherwise. He may handle himself well off the court, but on it, he does not.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our three young 5's are not strong enough to compete with maulers like Moe Alie Cox.. could he get in SLU? Could he make it one semester?

He was a partial qualifier (which SLU accepts), but he made the A10 All-Academic Team in 2014-15. I think he'd do just fine at SLU.

He made the A10 All-Academic Team in 2014-15. I think he'd do just fine at SLU.

But he is a big black man with dreads....

Mo Alie-Cox is only a redshirt sophomore, but it can be said with some certainty that the best comeback of his VCU career won’t come on the basketball court. No, the rally he’s led in the classroom has been much better.

Once ruled a partial qualifier by the NCAA, Alie-Cox was forced to sit out his entire freshman year. This summer, he’ll earn his bachelor’s degree from VCU in just 3 ½ years. Alie-Cox, who has quickly become a shot-blocking maven and fan favorite, also has two years of athletic eligibility remaining, and he’s exploring the possibility of using that time two earn not one, but two master’s degrees, one in criminal justice and the other potentially in coaching. It’s a remarkable success story for a student-athlete whose VCU career was marked by an early false start.

A conversation with Alie-Cox will reveal many things and sharply dismiss a number of misconceptions. A chiseled, 6-foot-6 giant with long, floppy dreadlocks, Alie-Cox is an imposing, physical presence on the basketball court. Off the floor, he is affable and unassuming. Unfailingly polite and matter-of-fact about his business, he’s as low-maintenance as they come. Despite his early academic misstep, it’s abundantly clear that he’s bright and articulate

Mo Alie Cox is my new favorite player.

Alie-Cox’s gentle demeanor and good old fashioned pragmatism are a breath of fresh air. In an era in which it has become commonplace for collegiate athletes to leave basketball after a year or two–long before their degree requirements are fulfilled–Alie-Cox is earning not one but two degrees on a full scholarship.

It is also a remarkable comeback for a VCU student-athlete whose career was marked by a false start.

During his freshman year, Alie-Cox was ruled a partial qualifier by the NCAA and was forced to sit out the 2012-2013 season. The ruling meant that Alie-Cox wasn’t permitted to travel or play with the team. He wasn’t even permitted to attend their practices.

The sanction could have proved devastating. Instead, Alie-Cox did off the court what he does so well on it: he re-bounded decisively and relentlessly.

“While I was definitely sad,” said Alie-Cox, “I tried to use that opportunity to grow and to control what I could control–my performance in the classroom.”

Alie-Cox availed himself of every academic support. Whenever his teammates were busy practicing on the court, Alie-Cox was busy in the Siegel Center’s Advising Wing.

And he didn’t just show up to class, he flourished. During his 2012-2013 redshirt season, Alie-Cox earned straight As and was nominated by the Criminal Justice Program for “A Black History in the Making Award.” He said it was the first time in his life that he had earned a 4.0 and a particularly proud moment for his mom, Saudatu, an emigre from Sierra Leone who supported her own journey through nursing school while working full-time.

When he wasn’t in class or studying, Alie-Cox said he trained as much as possible. By the end of his season of solitude, he had trimmed three minutes of his mile run and could squat nearly 500 pounds.

These gifs show Jolly's otherworldly ability to hit every square inch of the backboard except where the rim is located.

The gif of the 3 point miss is just incredible, I can't stop watching it. He actually thought that was going in?!?!? Reminiscent of baseball players pimping balls that end up being long pop flies.

The gif of the 3 point miss is just incredible, I can't stop watching it. He actually thought that was going in?!?!? Reminiscent of baseball players pimping balls that end up being long pop flies.

That's a perfect analogy.

From his angle, that shot could not have looked good. It was like 18 inches to the right of his target. Which can only mean that he planned the quick step-back routine before shooting it.

He really is Justin Johnson v2.0.

From his angle, that shot could not have looked good. It was like 18 inches to the right of his target. Which can only mean that he planned the quick step-back routine before shooting it.

He really is Justin Johnson v2.0.

That is the amazing part. As soon as he released it he would have known it had no chance of going in (unless he has some vision problems), so he clearly was more concerned with the post shot routine than the actual shot. Such an epic clip.

That is perfect, he really is Justin Johnson v2.0. Just a complete clown, but like JJ I doubt he realizes everyone is laughing at him.

He was a partial qualifier (which SLU accepts), but he made the A10 All-Academic Team in 2014-15. I think he'd do just fine at SLU.

I didn't know that. Curious. Provide names of partial qualifier basketball players SLU accepted in the last 10 years. Thank you.