Here's to the Future

Here's to a short, recovery offseason for all people involved with SLU Basketball. I think I speak for many when I say that tonight was very tough to swallow. It's difficult to go into games expecting to lose as opposed to last year where we basically rolled through our schedule. Hopefully everyone regroups and comes back stronger than ever.

Long Live the Bills

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to drag this into another thread dumping on Coach Crews, but what are the chances he retires this offseason? 10%? Some bench re-shuffling among the assistants in addition to whomever is brought in... which frees up a spot for Justin Tatum... which... can anyone tell I'm having trouble sleeping...

I was harsh on this team and I believe that you have to be encouraging but also honest and realistic. They shouldn't be immune from criticism.

That said, I think we have some solid pieces in place. Long way to go though. Even the best players need to improve substantially and since we will have some new faces coming in, we need to replace them with guys who can make a difference. Not just guys that play because no one else is better.

Hopefully this was just a year when Crews and the staff are figuring things out just like the young guys.

Neufeld is key. If he can come in and provide a solid post presence, our team's overall effectiveness on O and D could be exponentially better. Again, that's assuming he is capable. If not, we'll be in for another long year because I just don't see our current bigs being able to provide that true post presence next season.

The thing is it wasn't just a this season problem. We are 5 and 20 in our last 25 games against conference opponents. That includes a 1-3 record against Duquesne.

And the previous 20 or so games prior to that we had 1 conference loss. Fun with statistics!

It has definitely been a rough 13 months for Billiken fans but I'm not sure that last season's year-end difficulties have any bearing whatsoever on the future track for this program.

We have some building blocks for the future. This board will go crazy speculating on transfers but what happens will happen. The freshmen played a whole lot more minutes this year then they probably expected. Did they get tired and 'hit the wall'? Likely, but they will go into next season with a much sharper idea of what a college season requires. Hit the gym, hit the track, hit the cardio machines....be in shape for next season.

The thing is it wasn't just a this season problem. We are 5 and 20 in our last 25 games against conference opponents. That includes a 1-3 record against Duquesne.

Good observation--we need to see that A10 trend line go up next year...SLU has the $, facilities, stability and administrative support to be a top tier program in the A10.

We have to wait and see where the dust settles these next 2-3 months before thinking about our future. Who, if any, leaves and who fills those open slots will shed some light on next season. But even then, we're still going to be major unknown.

We had a bad finish this year, too.

1-9 in the last 10 games.

2-13 in the last 15.

3-17 in the last 20, which started with a NYE loss to Vanderbilt. Which means SLU has won three games in 2015. I think you'd have to go back to the last 5-23 season under Grawer to find such a rough period in SLU basketball history.

We have good players. But I hope coaches, players, and fans realize that just because we get older doesn't mean we'll be better or even if we're better, it doesn't mean we'll be good enough. I keep saying it, but it will take more than average improvement year over year for us to be as good as we want to be again. It will also take better recruiting and better coaching.

We have good players. But I hope coaches, players, and fans realize that just because we get older doesn't mean we'll be better or even if we're better, it doesn't mean we'll be good enough. I keep saying it, but it will take more than average improvement year over year for us to be as good as we want to be again. It will also take better recruiting and better coaching.

Agree if the starting 5 players and not one of them ave. over 10 points as game. It doesn't matter if you have 10 years to build. I have to think there is some offence on that bench somewhere.

We have some building blocks for the future. This board will go crazy speculating on transfers but what happens will happen. The freshmen played a whole lot more minutes this year then they probably expected. Did they get tired and 'hit the wall'? Likely, but they will go into next season with a much sharper idea of what a college season requires. Hit the gym, hit the track, hit the cardio machines....be in shape for next season.

"We have some building blocks for the future" Your right with that record it can only improve. Those Freshman could be a 500 ball club in a couple years.