Conklin Smash the Sweater Vests: SLU-Dayton GDT

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have liked to seen Bartley, Roby, Milik, Gillman, and Manning on the floor together.

Thats the lineup I've been advocating for the past few weeks. Crawford, Yacoubou, and McBroom first off the bench. Yarbrough could slide to the 4. Jolly and Agbeko come in as needed inside

I think one ref T'ing him up for that would end it real quick.

I thought he was going to get one when he dismissively waved at the ref while walking to the bench after fouling out. I like his fire but he needs to control that ish

Gillmann can't guard a 5, so what makes you think he could guard a quicker 4? Without Ash, we have one rebounder in the game.

All he has to do is keep the 4 in front of him, which, granted would be tough for him to do. But at least he could pack it in and clog the lane. As you pointed out, he can't guard a 5 so what does it hurt having him defend a 4? Milik is a decent rebounder. Manning and Yarbrough would be about as good a rebounding duo as we have.

All he has to do is keep the 4 in front of him, which, granted would be tough for him to do. But at least he could pack it in and clog the lane. As you pointed out, he can't guard a 5 so what does it hurt having him defend a 4? Milik is a decent rebounder. Manning and Yarbrough would be about as good a rebounding duo as we have.

Do people really want to see Gillmann more?

Do people really want to see Gillmann more?

Yeah I don't get it either. He has good shooting and passing ability for a 6-10 guy. But he doesn't rebound and he's a revolving door in the paint. If I'm Crews, on the first day of the offseason I'm telling him to get in the gotdamn weight room and stay there.

Yeah I don't get it either. He has good shooting and passing ability for a 6-10 guy. But he doesn't rebound and he's a revolving door in the paint. If I'm Crews, on the first day of the offseason I'm telling him to get in the gotdamn weight room and stay there.

Pretty much. Make him into a power forward if it's the last thing he does.

OK, I like Gillmann, but in his last five games he has scored 0, 2, 2, 5, and 0. He can't defend, doesn't rebound, he stopped scoring, so why do you want him at the 4? I will admit he has had 7 assists in the last five games, so at least he is helping his teammates score.

Has Jolly pulled ahead of Gillmann in the rotation?

This has to be among the strangest games I have seen SLU play in years.

I agree with the above, despite the 16 point deficit, this game could have been won.

SLU shot 5-15, 33% at the free throws. That's about what my 8th Graders shot in the CYO B League.

SLU was 17-46 from the floor, 37%; 6-17 on 3's, 35.3%.

SLU was outrebounded 36-31 by a team playing only 7 players, none taller than 6'6". SLU had 15 turnovers, to UD's 12. SLU had only 9 assists, thus a poor assist-turnover ratio.

But those free throws, ... there is just no excuse for college players shooting 33% at the free throw line, none, nada.

My 6th grade girls have to run if they shoot under 40% in a game. They usually don't. Most consistently hit 5 of 10

Ash has to be starting. He isn't what we've heard or hoped he would be yet and maybe he won't get there, but there's no way he shouldn't be starting along with Roby. If I had to change something I'd have Roby at the point along with Ash and Crawford with Milik and Manning

It's not a matter of 'wanting' Gillmann in there. But look at Lancona's stat line today...I'd rather have Gillmann attempting those 3s (and Free Throws) than Lancona. I think Gillmann is decent and if used more effectively (ie- not as a center) his current potential could be maximized, especially on offense.

DR seems to handle the ball well. Granted, sometimes he gets going too fast and makes silly mistakes. It would be interesting to see a rotation of DR, MC, AY, MY, JM. I felt like we could not ever get anything going on offense...as soon as we got 2 consecutive FG, JC would switch it up. I get that he is still trying to figure these kids out and see what they can do with different combinations. But we have to start looking at what has worked in the past (last game, GW, and parts of the RI game), and sticking with it. As much as i like seeing the mixed combinations, lets stick with a rotation that produces and win some games. This is quickly going from a "rebuild" year to a mad science experiment gone awry.

OK, I like Gillmann, but in his last five games he has scored 0, 2, 2, 5, and 0. He can't defend, doesn't rebound, he stopped scoring, so why do you want him at the 4? I will admit he has had 7 assists in the last five games, so at least he is helping his teammates score.

Has Jolly pulled ahead of Gillmann in the rotation?

Building on my post above, I think it's the coach's job to put his players in situations that emphasize their strengths. Gillmann's strengths are mostly on the offensive end...hes a great passer, has a good shot, and with his quick hands he can finish inside. If we can gain that offensive prowess while hiding him on D by playing the 4, I say do it. Let him play off his man, collapse on D, clog the lane, and have the guys around him crash the boards. I'm not advocating playing him 30 minutes, but I think he can be effective for 20-25 with the right matchup.

In most of the games we have lost we had one or two significant leads. The staff seemed to think it was more important to substitute than leave the team on the floor building the lead

OK, we lost by 18 points, we had real trouble with the FTs and appeared to run out of steam in the last 10 min of the game. That said, I thought we played very well at least in the first 3/4 of the game, remember we are a D- team playing an A or A+ team, the top team in A10 no less. I was not expecting an upset, frankly I thought we would lose as we did, but was satisfied to see SLU maintaining themselves in the game until the last quarter. This despite of the multiple issues everyone has mentioned here. I think we are improving steadily, and although we still have a lot of issues to improve I think we did reasonably well considering who our opponent was. I do not think there are quick or overnight solutions for the problems our team currently has, all we can do is keep on plugging.

OK, we lost by 18 points, we had real trouble with the FTs and appeared to run out of steam in the last 10 min of the game. That said, I thought we played very well at least in the first 3/4 of the game, remember we are a D- team playing an A or A+ team, the top team in A10 no less. I was not expecting an upset, frankly I thought we would lose as we did, but was satisfied to see SLU maintaining themselves in the game until the last quarter. This despite of the multiple issues everyone has mentioned here. I think we are improving steadily, and although we still have a lot of issues to improve I think we did reasonably well considering who our opponent was. I do not think there are quick or overnight solutions for the problems our team currently has, all we can do is keep on plugging.

We had 7 field goals in the 1st half, 5 of which were 3s, it was a pretty terrible effort from start to finish. Fortunately Dayton shot the ball poorly from 3 (a lot of wide open looks) otherwise it would have been a blowout early.

We had 7 field goals in the 1st half, 5 of which were 3s, it was a pretty terrible effort from start to finish. Fortunately Dayton shot the ball poorly from 3 (a lot of wide open looks) otherwise it would have been a blowout early.

This seems needlessly pessimistic. Dayton is a top 20 RPI team who was averaging 70 points a game and we held them to 61 on their own court. Some of that was them missing open threes, but some of it was also pretty good defense.

The defense wasn't bad, but it had more to do with forcing a slower game pace on them. Dayton has played much, much more uptempo this season than what we saw yesterday. As the first half wound down, it was nearly silent in the building as we chipped away at their lead by stopping transition and forcing them to burn shot clock.

They went on a couple runs in the second half that looked more like their style this season. Points in transition, getting forwards alone under the basket.

That's kind of the problem I have with trying to control the game from a pacing standpoint. It's nearly impossible to sustain for 40 minutes.