Transition Year, But Is Crews Long-Term Answer?

aj_arete

Or maybe you are Ostrich.... This was the worst conference loss in the ATLANTIC 10 ERA! And one of many poundings this year for a once proud team.

Yeah, because only scoring 20 points in a game was not a bad loss....

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

TL and RA are not averaging 21minutes a game. If they did maybe they would average 6 points a game. RA is already a better rebounder than Conklin was as a sophomore. RA's high school coach said he was a very good player. Evidently he saw something in him. Conklin was the player of the year in Oregon and it took him two years to develop.

Per slubillikens.com they are avg 22.1 mpg

Do you feel confident saying that the sophomores will be "turds" for their entire careers or are you saying that they have been "turds" to this point?

I ask because I believe that it is too early to judge them, especially given A) very limited playing time last year and B) limited playing time this year due to the large rotation as the coaching staff (continues) to evaluate players.

BTW - a large rotation has worked for teams in the past (e.g. Dayton last year).

When do you evaluate them? End of sophomore year? Junior year? Senior year?

Do you ever have the talk with them that they are not good enough to play at this level?

Per slubillikens.com they are avg 22.1 mpg

That is combined, correct? They did not get a lot of time at all last year and are not getting much time this year. Hence, it is reasonable to conclude that their development is not where it would be compared to a single individual averaging 20+ minutes over two seasons. I think that is the point.

Reggie had 17 attempted shots his freshman year; Brian had 134. Reggie played in 17 games his freshman year; Brian played in 32. Brian turned out to be a star, but even in HIS first couple of years, people complained about his ability. BTW, Tanner's stats are not too different than Reggie's.

So far I am not convinced about Crews. Crews plan may yield us 7-9 players for the next 2-3 years but it is brutal to watch a team not performing what we considered to be SLU givens- defense, steals, low turnover.

We have all watched "Hoosiers" and Crews will only win the Gene Hackman award if he wins the A-10 tournament.

We are watching a lot of bad basketball and a lot of it is because of the coaching.

We have no inbound play. Crews said the one that worked Crawford thought of in 2 minutes. We usually prefer to throw to Gilman 25 feet inside the opponents side of the half court line.

Majerus started this no men on the line on free throws because we were playing only 5-6 players and this helped them recover. Crews keeps doing it in spite of a rotation that seems all important-taking out a five that is stretching a lead so they are rested at the end of regulation. How we got players like Ash in foul trouble

with 14 minutes of playing time really sucks.

Crews seems to have taken the will to shoot out of Manning, Crawford, even Mc Broom and I never thought that would happen.

When we had Majerus I was hoping we would go after Stallings as he was local even if he was of a Collinsville-Illinois heritage.

I think Manning is better this year and I really like AG.

I think TL is one of the steadier hands at crunch time-why is he so often buried at the end of the bench.

I think Reynolds is the fastest guy on the team-why doesn't he get taught the junkyard dog style that Spoon used against Grawer so successfully?

I see a lot of good things but for only five minutes in each half. The other five minutes in each half we are playing a different line (like hockey) that gives it all back.

I think Crews has to learn to substitute when needed rather than wholesale changes at 4 minutes Crawford and 5 minutes whoever is elevated from the doghouse that game.

I think Crews should not write down his plan. Once he buys into what he has written he is willing to die with it rather than adjust. Majerus made really good adjustments during the game and for second half. If our current plan is not working we fold.

People, please stop feeding the troll by responding to aj's obvious attempt to stir up sh!t. He has a long track of this. He is not a SLU fan, he is a Mizzou troll. I'm sure he's laughing that this thread has grown to 5 pages. This is a gem he delivered in March of 2011: "I've watched Mizzou a lot and thought this was the one team that underperformed under Anderson. Hence, he's fallen from great to good in my eyes. I'll be a fan of Mizzou's program, regardless of whether I like the hire or not. I don't think Majerus is the answer (for SLU)." He also let it slip that he doesn't "follow the (SLU) program much."

So in this thread aj praises Majerus in an effort to cut down Crews. This is the same aj who questioned whether Majerus was the answer for SLU a few years ago and suggested that it was time to perhaps "blow up the roster.
http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=20393&hl= This was right before SLU went on the 3-year Tourney run. Great insight aj :lol: And while SLU was winning conference championships, NCAA Tourney games and getting ranked nationally - aj was nowhere to be found on this board. Little surprise that he has crawled back from under his rock after a terrible SLU performance. That's what he does.

Do not feed the SPUMAC troll. Let this thread die.

People, please stop feeding the troll by responding to aj's obvious attempt to stir up ****. He has a long track of this. He is not a SLU fan, he is a Mizzou troll. I'm sure he's laughing that this thread has grown to 5 pages. This is a gem he delivered in March of 2011: "I've watched Mizzou a lot and thought this was the one team that underperformed under Anderson. Hence, he's fallen from great to good in my eyes. I'll be a fan of Mizzou's program, regardless of whether I like the hire or not. I don't think Majerus is the answer (for SLU)." He also let it slip that he doesn't "follow the (SLU) program much."

So in this thread aj praises Majerus in an effort to cut down Crews. This is the same aj who questioned whether Majerus was the answer for SLU a few years ago and suggested that it was time to perhaps "blow up the roster.

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=20393&hl= This was right before SLU went on the 3-year Tourney run. Great insight aj :lol: And while SLU was winning conference championships, NCAA Tourney games and getting ranked nationally - aj was nowhere to be found on this board. Little surprise that he has crawled back from under his rock after a terrible SLU performance. That's what he does.

I have not posted for a long time but I still read the board. When I first read some of these posts I knew the poster who started this and many others had already demonstrated they are not Bills fans at all yet people seem to react like they are true long time fans of the Bills. For anyone who wants to know the true facts go look at the details of Jim Crews time at Evansville. That conference was excellent at the time and it was harder to get into the big dance. He was the conference coach of the year multiple times and he was highly regarded nationally as he is now. No one likes to lose less than I do. No one likes to lose big less than I do. But I do see some very good things. AY and DR have really improved since the season started. AG has a terrific basketball IQ as does MB. MR still is a tough hard nosed player but he needs seasoning. BJ has shown a lot in some practices but he can't yet get it all together in the games. I also see some bad things and I am hopeful they can be worked out. In any event, most schools would be incredibly happy to have had three years like we had with three third round appearances in the NCAA (one of ten teams in the country to do that during that time). This years frosh seem to be every bit as good as last years seniors when they were frosh. People have such short memories. Jordair could not throw it in the ocean from outside in his freshman year. MM was not good on defense but he improved dramatically. DE got his shot blocked under the basket often just like Conklin did for the first three years. I go to every game and live and die every play. We will get better but I do share the concern that we will not emerge from the bad place we are in before the end of this year. But I was realistic before the year started and thought we would have a losing record. It is still painful to watch but everyone needs to understand that this is a process and we will not really know how good this team can be until this group of freshman are juniors--at least that is my opinion. In any event, the real fans need to take a valium and watch the frosh develop. The non fans would be better off on another board.

I have not posted for a long time but I still read the board. When I first read some of these posts I knew the poster who started this and many others had already demonstrated they are not Bills fans at all yet people seem to react like they are true long time fans of the Bills. For anyone who wants to know the true facts go look at the details of Jim Crews time at Evansville. That conference was excellent at the time and it was harder to get into the big dance. He was the conference coach of the year multiple times and he was highly regarded nationally as he is now. No one likes to lose less than I do. No one likes to lose big less than I do. But I do see some very good things. AY and DR have really improved since the season started. AG has a terrific basketball IQ as does MB. MR still is a tough hard nosed player but he needs seasoning. BJ has shown a lot in some practices but he can't yet get it all together in the games. I also see some bad things and I am hopeful they can be worked out. In any event, most schools would be incredibly happy to have had three years like we had with three third round appearances in the NCAA (one of ten teams in the country to do that during that time). This years frosh seem to be every bit as good as last years seniors when they were frosh. People have such short memories. Jordair courl not throw it in the ocean from outside in his freshman year. MM was not good on defense but he improved dramatically. DE got his shot blocked under the basket often just like Conklin did for the first three years. I go to every game and live and die every play. We will get better but I do share the concern that we will not emerge from the bad place we are in before the end of this year. But I was realistic before the year started and thought we would have a losing record. It is still painful to watch but everyone needs to understand that this is a process and we will not really know how good this team can be until this group of freshman are juniors--at least that is my opinion. In any event, the real fans need to take a valium and watch the frosh develop. The non fans would be better off on another board.

By what metric?

The four freshman in 10-11 had more points combined per game, more assists combined per game, and more rebounds per game combined, while playing at a slower pace than the six freshman combined on this team.

By what metric?

The four freshman in 10-11 had more points combined per game, more assists combined per game, and more rebounds per game combined, while playing at a slower pace than the six freshman combined on this team.

Five of the six freshmen on this squad are shooting under 38%. None of the 10-11 freshmen shot under 38%.

From my personal view of them in the games and in practice. Might I suggest that you are looking at full season stats and it is clear that MY and DR have really improved since the season started and their stats have only started to really improve in the last few games. Let's look at the year end and do the comparisons--although you well know that stats are not the only way to evaluate a player's ability or long term potential.

Do you remember the criticism of an underclassman named Brian Conklin...? Kid couldn't make a layup to save his life. I think he turned out alright as a Billiken.

I sure do, but I don't think that is a good comparison. Objectively, the numbers say they aren't a good match. Subjectively, I saw a basketball player in Brian Conklin while Reggie seems far from that. RA looks like he needs to be taught the rules and is so incredibly awkward out there, it scares me how far he would have to come to be effective on even a marginal team.

People keep mentioning Conklin and his "summer" in mythical terms like everybody on our roster can all of the sudden morph into a completely different player over the course of a few months. Conklin was special in that he had some ability already, decent fundamentals, good basketball acumen and most of all clearly had a will and desire to get better and put the effort in on his own when nobody was standing there watching him. How many players would and could make that kind of transformation? 1 out of 50? 1 out of 100? He's an outlier. Manning has had the chance for a Conklin summer three years in a row and never cashed in. RA looks like he puts in the effort and has the raw ability, but isn't anywhere near comfortable enough on the basketball court to make a contribution and I don't think he'll get there. TL looks like he'd need a Conklin decade just to get in shape.

The bottom line is, for most Division I NCAA basketball players, when you are 1.5 years into your college career and you are ineffective and show no signs of improvement, past precedence overwhelmingly suggests that you will not develop into much of a player.

People, please stop feeding the troll by responding to aj's obvious attempt to stir up ****. He has a long track of this. He is not a SLU fan, he is a Mizzou troll. I'm sure he's laughing that this thread has grown to 5 pages. This is a gem he delivered in March of 2011: "I've watched Mizzou a lot and thought this was the one team that underperformed under Anderson. Hence, he's fallen from great to good in my eyes. I'll be a fan of Mizzou's program, regardless of whether I like the hire or not. I don't think Majerus is the answer (for SLU)." He also let it slip that he doesn't "follow the (SLU) program much."

ACE once again layeth the smack down on the trolls

From my personal view of them in the games and in practice. Might I suggest that you are looking at full season stats and it is clear that MY and DR have really improved since the season started and their stats have only started to really improve in the last few games. Let's look at the year end and do the comparisons--although you well know that stats are not the only way to evaluate a player's ability or long term potential.

Do you attend practices frequently?

I wish there was a way for posters to have "Troll" listed below their screen names, a la "Listener of the Streets" and "I Have Reached Billiken Roy Levels of Posting."