Always next year? No BE expansion?

Well, until we're offered or not, it doesn't change the goal of continuing the winning ways of the past 3 seasons and hoping the A10 builds upon it's strengths. A case could be made that last year our top 10 teams were better than the 10 Beast teams. If the A10 can remain that superiority maybe we can negotiate a better TV deal. Our markets are similar to their's, so it's up to the individual schools to get fully behind their BB programs. Fordham for starters. Be nice to see them be viewed as a better program than St. John's.

One would think Fox Sports would be pushing them for more markets. Evidently they're not using their $ influence. So, all that matters is the coaches are happy with the current round robin setup. Gettingthat Big 10 matchup in November is big, ie makes them look like majors. We should have leveraged the ACC into something like this when we gave them the Barclay deal. I know we got some committed games, but you can bet they'll be VT, WF, GT, etc. Anyone know what their outlook is for tourney teams in 14-15 vs the A10. My guess is we'll be down and they'll be up w/ GU, Nova, and X appearing to be locks. Butler's lost a lot of their team, CU loses McDermott, St.John's lost some players, don't know anything about PC or SH. MU lost their coach and then there's RuePaul. Wouldn't exactly call that a loaded conference.

I do not think that is the way Fox looks at the Big East deal. Fox knows this venue may take some time to take off and probably has provided adequately for this eventuality. My guess is that they have a series of benchmarks that grow in a few years up to the level Fox thinks this investment will consistently yield. As long as Fox's benchmarks are met (or even if they are not met fully but only partially) they will be happy to take a passive approach with the deal and let the Big East take care of itself. The Big East league is, on the other hand, very much aware of their need to maintain Fox's support, so they are engaging in novel deals like the one just announced with Big 10, which is likely to provide multiple benefits to the networks, and the leagues. As long as the Big East does things like this and maintain themselves within Fox's benchmarks, I would expect Fox may well let Big East handle its own affairs anyway they see fit.

Well, until we're offered or not, it doesn't change the goal of continuing the winning ways of the past 3 seasons and hoping the A10 builds upon it's strengths. A case could be made that last year our top 10 teams were better than the 10 Beast teams. If the A10 can remain that superiority maybe we can negotiate a better TV deal. Our markets are similar to their's, so it's up to the individual schools to get fully behind their BB programs. Fordham for starters. Be nice to see them be viewed as a better program than St. John's.

The NYC market is pointless for college sports. People here just don't care unless it was the old big east tournament.

The NYC market is pointless for college sports. People here just don't care unless it was the old big east tournament.

NYC likes all sports because of the diversification and size of their population. Good college basketball games will draw fans, plain and simple. Hell, a professional curling franchise in NYC would draw good crowds. And the Garden's still considered the Mecca of college hoops.

NYC likes all sports because of the diversification and size of their population. Good college basketball games will draw fans, plain and simple. Hell, a professional curling franchise in NYC would draw good crowds. And the Garden's still considered the Mecca of college hoops.

That's just not super accurate. I live here and it's really not like that at all. The Garden was awesome for the Big East tournament but even that is lacking.

That's just not super accurate. I live here and it's really not like that at all. The Garden was awesome for the Big East tournament but even that is lacking.

I'd be willing to bet some beer and NYC pizza that if Duke played UCLA in the garden they'd draw well. Or, if St.John's or Fordham were ever again to be ranked and played another ranked/name team the place would be hopping. You do realize there are many fans out there that rank college hoops as their favorite sport, and NY's sports fans interests are many and varied, who would pay simply to see a good college game? Heck back in the Beast's early days w/ primarily the 7 schools that are still there, a lot of those Garden games w/ St. Johns were sold out, and I'll bet they weren't all St.Johns fans.

For what it's worth, Duke did play UCLA in the Garden just last season. Attendance was listed at 15,410.

In other words, well short of a sellout. Does this qualify me for beer and a slice? The slice'll be anywhere from $1.00-$2.75 but the beer is more expensive here.

I'd be willing to bet some beer and NYC pizza that if Duke played UCLA in the garden they'd draw well. Or, if St.John's or Fordham were ever again to be ranked and played another ranked/name team the place would be hopping. You do realize there are many fans out there that rank college hoops as their favorite sport, and NY's sports fans interests are many and varied, who would pay simply to see a good college game? Heck back in the Beast's early days w/ primarily the 7 schools that are still there, a lot of those Garden games w/ St. Johns were sold out, and I'll bet they weren't all St.Johns fans.

I'm just saying it's not a college town, and moreso it's not a town that one college really can consider "its market." There are probably more Syracuse and UCONN fans than any other school but even then it's not a significant portion of the population.

Sure, sports interests are many and varied but until you've spent an entire college football and basketball season here you don't truly understand how little college sports register on the radar for most people.

all you have to do is watch a St. John's home game and you can see that it is off target. looks like pretty easy ticket.

College basketball is huge in the NYC area. More games played there than anywhere else. The NIT, Preseason NIT, the A10 tourney, Big East tourney, Brooklyn Hoops thing at Barclays, multiple games at MSG featuring no teams from the area, Fordham, St John's, Seton Hall, Manhattan, LIU, Columbia, Hofstra, Iona, etc.

all you have to do is watch a St. John's home game and you can see that it is off target. looks like pretty easy ticket.

? St. John's is struggling to hit 50% capacity:

2011 average attendance: 8,431

2012: 8,428

2013: 6,375

After talking to a lot of people, especially at the golf tournament, I am becoming more and more convinced that the A10 is as good as, if not better, in terms of a fit for SLU.

After talking to a lot of people, especially at the golf tournament, I am becoming more and more convinced that the A10 is as good as, if not better, in terms of a fit for SLU.

Is that a case of "well we screwed up on getting the invite so let's spin it that the A10is better"?

I just can't see a scenario where the A10 is better than the Big East. Do tell.

I live here. It's not off target at all. College sports barely register at all. No one talks about them. Attendance isn't necessarily what matters when you're talking about markets.

Is that a case of "well we screwed up on getting the invite so let's spin it that the A10is better"?

I just can't see a scenario where the A10 is better than the Big East. Do tell.

Agreed. It's definitely spin. There is certainly nothing wrong with talking about the positives of the a-10 but it's hard to see how those positives can outweigh the geography, program recognition, tv dollars, etc of the big east.

Agreed. It's definitely spin. There is certainly nothing wrong with talking about the positives of the a-10 but it's hard to see how those positives can outweigh the geography, program recognition, tv dollars, etc of the big east.

I think there is a discussion about it. The Big East certainly isn't the same thing it was.