my take on Louisville, FWIW

DoctorB

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So how about you friggin' tell me what happened instead of making a statement with no reasoning..

Barnett slapped/punched at Hancock after the whistle. Hancock turned abruptly but didn't do anything to warrant a T. Correct call

Regarding Loe's call it seemed to me it could have been judge a normal basketball move and not been a foul at all, but it is judgement call.

Given that the rule it overly harsh. A player gets fouled and in response he move intentionally protecting the ball and because he unintentionally make contact with the face of the player who fouled him and in doing so was too close, the fouling team gets two shots and the ball. That is messed up.

Regarding Loe's call it seemed to me it could have been judge a normal basketball move and not been a foul at all, but it is judgement call.

Given that the rule it overly harsh. A player gets fouled and in response he move intentionally protecting the ball and because he unintentionally make contact with the face of the player who fouled him and in doing so was too close, the fouling team gets two shots and the ball. That is messed up.

I really don't like that rule. It rewards the guy who commits the foul. If the NCAA wants to avoid elbows to the face, they should actually call the reaches and bear hugs some of these pressing teams try and get away with. Rob made a basketball move to better see the court and find a pass and by the letter of the law, it was a foul. It is a bad rule.

Blaming the refs for this game is absolutely ridiculous.I didn't see all of the play involving Hancock and JB...did he shove him before/say something to him? Regardless, we showed a general lack of confidence on offense combined with poor outside shooting. That's what lost us this game. We took the lead in the second half and decided to stop playing after that.

Blaming the refs for this game is absolutely ridiculous.I didn't see all of the play involving Hancock and JB...did he shove him before/say something to him? Regardless, we showed a general lack of confidence on offense combined with poor outside shooting. That's what lost us this game. We took the lead in the second half and decided to stop playing after that.

How can you say they "decided to stop playing" after that? Stupid statement.

Refs were bad. 0-15 from 3 was worse. The refs took Loe out of the game in the first half but we let Louisville go on a run in the second half. Free throw shooting sucked again. Turnovers hurt. Somehow it seems every year in the round of 32 we shoot like . Looked it up. In our games against Michigan State, Oregon, and Louisville we shot 10-61 (16%) from 3.

I really don't like that rule. It rewards the guy who commits the foul. If the NCAA wants to avoid elbows to the face, they should actually call the reaches and bear hugs some of these pressing teams try and get away with. Rob made a basketball move to better see the court and find a pass and by the letter of the law, it was a foul. It is a bad rule.

I agree but the letter of the law allowed for a different call too, they chose to make it a flagrant 1 call.

"The committee tweaked the rules regarding elbow contact above the shoulders.

A minimum of a flagrant 1 foul is no longer required when an official is responding to illegal elbow contact above the shoulders of an opponent. Now, officials also can call a common foul on any illegal elbow contact, which may result in no free throws and simply a throw-in to the offended team.

This rule change is a stark contrast to the former minimum flagrant 1 foul rule that has been in effect for three years, which awarded the offended player two free throws and the ball. Coaches felt that, sometimes, elbow contact did not merit such a harsh penalty. However, officials who deem elbow contact to be excessive, unnecessary, severe or extreme are encouraged to call a flagrant 1 or flagrant 2 foul.

In a flagrant 1 situation, the player who was struck is awarded two free throws and his team gets possession of the ball. In a flagrant 2 foul situation, the penalty is the same, but the player who threw the elbow is ejected from the game.

Committee members felt the mandatory flagrant 1 penalty of the elbow rule was too harsh for all elbow situations. While the intent of the elbow rule has always been to protect players, they said, some legitimate basketball moves result in contact that is not excessive and do not deserve the harsher penalty.

"

I agree but the letter of the law allowed for a different call too, they chose to make it a flagrant 1 call.

"The committee tweaked the rules regarding elbow contact above the shoulders.

A minimum of a flagrant 1 foul is no longer required when an official is responding to illegal elbow contact above the shoulders of an opponent. Now, officials also can call a common foul on any illegal elbow contact, which may result in no free throws and simply a throw-in to the offended team.

This rule change is a stark contrast to the former minimum flagrant 1 foul rule that has been in effect for three years, which awarded the offended player two free throws and the ball. Coaches felt that, sometimes, elbow contact did not merit such a harsh penalty. However, officials who deem elbow contact to be excessive, unnecessary, severe or extreme are encouraged to call a flagrant 1 or flagrant 2 foul.

In a flagrant 1 situation, the player who was struck is awarded two free throws and his team gets possession of the ball. In a flagrant 2 foul situation, the penalty is the same, but the player who threw the elbow is ejected from the game.

Committee members felt the mandatory flagrant 1 penalty of the elbow rule was too harsh for all elbow situations. While the intent of the elbow rule has always been to protect players, they said, some legitimate basketball moves result in contact that is not excessive and do not deserve the harsher penalty.

"

Huh, I was unaware of the change. I would have clearly placed Rob's play under the "legitimate basketball move" umbrella, but I am biased. It looked like he was turning to face the court and all of a sudden he was getting a hug from Hancock. Not much Rob can do to avoid contact there.

Don't like using the refs were against us as a reason but there were some really upsetting plays where I thought UL could have been tagged with a foul but ignored. That said, the TOs and going 0-15 from beyond the arc sealed our fate. Make 4 of them and it's a ball game. Also, they were good looks not heaves or under much pressure. A lot like the Oregon game last year. I am praying we have a couple of consistent snipers next year.