UMass by 2 1/2 over Bills

Manning put together another solid game. The dude has been pretty solid on the defensive end this year. If he has a Conklin summer, watch out.

I know manning catches some on here, but I'm happy with him giving us a solid 20-25 minutes next year where he could give us 10 and 7.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Manning just needs to work on getting better position and cutting down on his fouls. He shows a nice touch around the rim when he gets the ball in deep.

He just needs to work on..."basketball"...

Seriously, i'd put him in a big man camp, get him a couple of post moves and some confidence. He could be a defensive center and contribute a little bit offensively and we'd be okay with it. I wish we were talking about a freshman instead of a junior though, because it makes me question what the aptitude for improvement really is.

Last year some people talked about a "Conklin Summer" for JM and GG - GG lost weight and we all had high hopes but it did not translate into real improved play for him. JM - not sure what he did last summer but it did not make much difference in his overall play this year - decent one game and then back to disappearing. Will he be able to provide what he did today the rest of the season - who knows but his history says probably not. My point is placing to high of expectations on him may leave you disappointed. One thing I have cosistently seen from him is that he is out of position for rebounding most of the time - he is usually behind his man. Another thing he does routinely is leave his man and is not able to get back quick enough or can not find him again until after they guy scores. As Jimmy says he has to work on his basketball skills rather than bulking up - he has a lot to refine.

Bet you're happy to be wrong on this. As I said in the GDT, Manning was a breath of fresh air for the Bills today.

I sure was happy to be on the wrong side of this one. The "here's what we need to do to win..." section becomes very important when the spreads are close. Fortunately, we had enough check marks (especially on D) to win. I wish we could fix our 3 pt shot. We don't need to be gunners...just get to 30%. Other than that, I think we are in pretty good shape going into the tourney.

He just needs to work on..."basketball"...

Seriously, i'd put him in a big man camp, get him a couple of post moves and some confidence. He could be a defensive center and contribute a little bit offensively and we'd be okay with it. I wish we were talking about a freshman instead of a junior though, because it makes me question what the aptitude for improvement really is.

I really think this would help Manning. If he improves his footwork he could have a really solid season next year.

Hope Gimmick enjoys not winning the conference again when they were favorites. Must be a blow to their confidence. Been quiet since they clinched the silver.

Oh, on the contrary, yesterday was the perfect outcome for us gimmick (LOL) folks. We get the two then we get you.. Bunch of really tough teams on your side of the draw. You get a mega hot Dayton and Langston Galloway. I'll take GW and/or UMASS on a neutral floor anytime over those two based on the matchups for us. .

Sure hope both of our teams get to the final. It will be epic and both of us will be 4/5 seeds no matter what happens. We're in the top 25 and we're very happy to have earned our way back in. Let's rock the house at Barclay's! I'll be there. Will you?

Oh, on the contrary, yesterday was the perfect outcome for us gimmick (LOL) folks. We get the two then we get you.. Bunch of really tough teams on your side of the draw. You get a mega hot Dayton and Langston Galloway. I'll take GW and/or UMASS on a neutral floor anytime over those two based on the matchups for us. .

Sure hope both of our teams get to the final. It will be epic and both of us will be 4/5 seeds no matter what happens. We're in the top 25 and we're very happy to have earned our way back in. Let's rock the house at Barclay's! I'll be there. Will you?

Dayton is playing really well. St. Joe is the best matchup for us on this side of the bracket because their depth is suspect, and Galloway has struggled against McCall.

I think VCU has the tougher matchups in the Lower Bracket. VCU lost at UMass, split with GW, barely survived last week at Richmond. VCU beat Richmond twice, and although UR is depleted, it is still tough to beat a team 3 times. (Of course, SLU 3-peated over new NBE bottom feeder Butler last season. Oh stop, BAB!)

Knock on wood, but SLU has had Martelli and St. Joe's number for some time. St. Joe's lacks a point guard, and does not have dribble drive guards. SLU can beat Dayton too. I think SLU exorcised some recent demons yesterday at UMass.

I'm as concerned about LaSalle/St. Bona in the quarters as I am about the semis.

First let's take of some business: BigMouthBilliken, you need to grow a set. :wub:

Now to reply as respects having to face St Joes. You do match up well with them, but Langston Galloway is the equal of any player in the A10 and can take a game all by himself. Oh and BTW, Langston is their PG. He's as good as anyone a team will ever face as a G anywhere. He's not a take it to the hole guy? He can score from everywhere including a 27 footer if you give him a bit of room.

As respects GW, on a neutral court VCU matches up very well with them and VCU is playing their best ball of the year. Fur???? Really??? UMASS is Chaz. VCU did quite well against them in a tough place to play. Neutral court again this weekend. Actually, it's not quite neutral. Based on how VCU travels and the Peppas, they should just paint our logo on the floor...

I would not want LaSalle in a quarter-game.

We don't want the Bonnies. Fur is toast anywhere but their home floor. The Bonnies are a tough deep team.

Overall, either side of the bracket is tough as is the A10 overall. Few gimmes. Tough game most every night. I like our side a lot more though considering the depth of bench playing on the 2nd day against 2 teams that don't go real deep. This is a 3 day deal. That wears guys out. I'll take a 10 deep bench over anyone, even if it is a "gimmick."

VCU has eight guys with 300+ minutes on the season, plus two more at 281 and 211. SLU also has eight guys with 300+ minutes on the season, plus two more at 180 and 133. VCU's top five combined have only played 228 fewer minutes than ours has. Spread out among five guys over 31 games, that's not all that much.

I have been in the camp that would've liked to have seen more of Crawford and Lancona down the stretch, but I also think this "depth" horse is being beaten way too hard.

VCU has eight guys with 300+ minutes on the season, plus two more at 281 and 211. SLU also has eight guys with 300+ minutes on the season, plus two more at 180 and 133. VCU's top five combined have only played 228 fewer minutes than ours has. Spread out among five guys over 31 games, that's not all that much.

I have been in the camp that would've liked to have seen more of Crawford and Lancona down the stretch, but I also think this "depth" horse is being beaten way too hard.

Good post this time, smith.

The thing is, so many keep saying we have been "tired".

No.

That is way, way overstated.

The issues with our 3 game slide:

1) We hit that letdown period like so many other teams in the top 25

2) DE was banged up for several games, JJ for one.

If they both are OK, on national TV the refs will be prone to call fouls and not let the VCU defensive backs pound us with their press and we will out smart, out play, and be more physical and beat VCU on Sunday.

Good post this time, smith.

The thing is, so many keep saying we have been "tired".

No.

That is way, way overstated.

The issues with our 3 game slide:

1) We hit that letdown period like so many other teams in the top 25

2) DE was banged up for several games, JJ for one.

If they both are OK, on national TV the refs will be prone to call fouls and not let the VCU defensive backs pound us with their press and we will out smart, out play, and be more physical and beat VCU on Sunday.

The refs will let the teams play in the tourney just like they do in the Dance. Imagine you're playing Wisconsin in the dance and think about how the refs will call it. It will be no holds barred.

You're guys off the bench are really not factors in the games. Yes, our guys will pound your guys (if you get there) and it will end up a W. Tired, yes. We can run in players like Brooks who is one of the best on-ball defenders I've seen as a F and he's the 9th off the bench. MO is a manster if you haven't been watching. He's getting more PT and impact every game. Our guys love to pound opponents. That's our game and this is the time of the year that everyone has to deal with it.

Expecting a good one Sunday. Please get there. S Joes is no picnic.

Good thing we hit our letdown period in November.

Last thing. I took the cash. UMASS covered. I was thinking it would be easier, but at the 10 sec mark I knew my money was safe.

The refs will let the teams play in the tourney just like they do in the Dance. Imagine you're playing Wisconsin in the dance and think about how the refs will call it. It will be no holds barred.

You're guys off the bench are really not factors in the games. Yes, our guys will pound your guys (if you get there) and it will end up a W. Tired, yes. We can run in players like Brooks who is one of the best on-ball defenders I've seen as a F and he's the 9th off the bench. MO is a manster if you haven't been watching. He's getting more PT and impact every game. Our guys love to pound opponents. That's our game and this is the time of the year that everyone has to deal with it.

Last thing. I took the cash. UMASS covered. I was thinking it would be easier, but at the 10 sec mark I knew my money was safe.

Umass was favored by 3.5 so I'm guessing you're just spouting bs as usual

Nobody here is suggesting that any of the A-10 tourney games will be picnics, except for the VCU fans acting like GW and UMass (both of whom have already beaten you!) will be picnics. It's actually pretty funny. I would love the RPI bump from beating you guys again, but all the unwarranted arrogance almost makes me hope one of them knocks you off before the final.

Hmm......

You took the cash??...How?? ...with a gun and mask.

And now a sports bulletin.........SLU beats UMass.

I am so sorry to be the bearer of bad news but UMass didn't cover. They were favored.

You were breathing easier at the 10 sec mark??? How ?? You must have had a tank of Oxygen. I am showing that at the 10 sec mark SLU had the ball and the score was tied...UMass needed a 4 point shot and they didn't have the ball

Bottomline....your money isn't safe ....it is gone.

Dude, you have no credibility left. You need to go back to your own board. Even if they won't overlook your errors at least you will have something in common with them.

Btw...if you need to get your cash back ....next time bet on the Bills.

Last thing. I took the cash. U. MASS covered. I was thinking it would be easier, but at the 10 sec mark I knew my money was safe.

You are just like The Rainman, except you are not good at math.

There is no way you can explain this... you were bullsh*tting. U. Mass was -3 and they lost by 2.

Go ahead: explain the sentence above, bolded and underlined. I anxiously await your response. Or, just scram.

PussyKat, would you be so kind as to give me your bookies cell #? UMass was favored, so how did they cover? Is it a VA thing that you get paid when you lose and vice versa when you win?

PussyKat, would you be so kind as to give me your bookies cell #? UMass was favored, so how did they cover? Is it a VA thing that you get paid when you lose and vice versa when you win?

Please send me your bookie's cell#. I like betting w/ idiots. By the way will VCU's honorary doctoral degree guy be there? That would be Spike Lee, or will he be busy doing home repairs this weekend?

You are just like The Rainman, except you are not good at math.

There is no way you can explain this... you were bullsh*tting. U. Mass was -3 and they lost by 2.

Go ahead: explain the sentence above, bolded and underlined. I anxiously await your response. Or, just scram.

Haha! Trolling Mudkat caught in another lie.

Sorry folks,

Yep, that's what I get for tipping a few before posting. Pretty stupid post in the extreme. Problem with this board is you can't delete a post after posting stupidity.

Now it's time for the greatest show on Earth!!!! May the best team win. Hope it's VCU/SLU in the final. It's only fitting that the best in the conference duke it out. If we both get there and have a great game, those 3,4,5 seeds that are still empty on Sunday will be filled with both of our teams.

Best of luck. Can't wait for Friday and watching the Peppas at Barclays. I'll buy blue and white beers. I'm not a bad guy, seriously. I love to meet people.

Enjoy all!!!!