Will Bills ever use a Zone?

This board is so much fun I can't stand it. You guys eat yourselves and your team at the same time. VCU guts one out. Takes the Ticks twice this year. Will you have anyone left to play in your quarter final game? Best to just rest JJ against UMASS. You got your berth. will it be 8,9 or 10? We might be the guys with the 5.

That game is really pathetic. A couple of hack streetball teams with no fundamentals in any of the 10 players on the court.

Yet somehow your great "fundamental" team barely survived home, couldn't do on our floor, then got burned by Duquesne and Dayton.

Only thing pathetic is how incredibly in denial you are about the ability of your own team.

Well, I see we have more VCWho Trolls interloping, unable to stay away.

Man, those folks have an inherent need to be noticed. But they root for Gimmick, which itself is there to get noticed.

That must be what happens when your team plays such a lousy brand of ugly basketball.

But it's way past your bedtimes back in the Old Dominion and up the Eastern Seaboard. Now go get a good night's sleep and don't even dream about those A10 #1 seeded Billikens. We'll still be there in the morning.

No. Zones are for teams who can't play defense.

I disagree. 3 cases in point stand out off the top of my head:

1. Michigan State under Coach Jud Heathcote, with a point guard named Magic Johnson, won the NCAA playing a matchup zone.

2. Temple under Coach John Cheney.

3. Syracuse, then and now, has always played that East Coast Zone, and has won the NCAA Tournament playing zone.

I have said for years that SLU should have a zone defense in its defensive arsenal, not as the base defense, but as an alternative. A zone, played properly, can be especially effective against a team like VCU, and it can help when the team's players are tired.

I have said for years that SLU should have a zone defense in its defensive arsenal, not as the base defense, but as an alternative. A zone, played properly, can be especially effective against a team like VCU, and it can help when the team's players are tired.

Bingo!

We are 30 games into the season. We won't be adding a zone and it would be foolish to try to add one now. Our defense isn't a problem.

We are who we are at this point.

I just don't agree with this, sorry.

Coach Majerus, when he was at Utah, installed a triangle and two defense during the key NCAA Tournament game for then #1 ranked Arizona. It worked. Utah won that big NCAA game. And Majerus, obviously, was a man to man defense coach.

Zones are not that hard to install or play. I'm not saying play zone as the base defense; I'm saying have a zone in the defensive arsenal.

Other teams are throwing zones at SLU. GW played a 1-3-1 at times, and Duquesne threw the 1-2-2 at SLU in the second half.

Saying we should go to a zone so our players can rest is one of the more idiotic things I have read on here. If you don't work hard while playing zone you will get shredded just like any other defense. Also, if you think we are having issues rebounding the ball just wait till we try this zone that some people want. We aren't going to implement a zone on the 30th game of the year especially considering all 5 of the seniors have played zone for 0 seconds their entire career, nor should we.

I just don't get why anyone thinks playing a zone is going to fix anything. The defense we play isn't the problem.

For example, this thread started because it was noted that Richmond's zone was having success against VCU. Well in our loss to VCU we held them to 38.7% shooting from the floor and 18.8% from 3. Would a zone have helped against the Dukes? Don't see how. They beat us because they shot 53.3% from 3 while we shot 40.4% from the floor and 17.4% from the 3. Dayton shot 37.5% from the 3 while we shot 42.6% from the floor and 27.3% from the 3. Playing a zone isn't going to help the 3 defense or help the offense. It is going to lead to more open 3 point looks. Our perimeter defense has been compromised recently by the injuries impacting the our ability to keep with players on the perimeter. Going to a zone isn't going to fix that. In fact, it will make our 3 defense worse because we don't have the length on the perimeter needed to effectively harass a team on the perimeter while playing zone.

The defense we run isn't the problem. The offense has been a problem all year and our two best players are now dealing with injury issues. Playing a zone isn't going to fix either of those problems and it isn't going to make us a more effective team.

The only thing that is going to fix the problems is to get healthier. If we don't get healthier nothing is going to improve no matter what gimmick you put in.

We are 30 games into the season. We won't be adding a zone and it would be foolish to try to add one now. Our defense isn't a problem.

This attitude is precisely our problem. We seem unwilling to change anything. I'm not saying we need to completely change our defense or make any type of drastic changes, but we cant just keep doing the same things we've done all season. Teams are figuring us out. We have to start making more adjustments.

I think the defense is part of the problem. 72 points to Dayton? That's an issue.

It's not the biggest problem, but it isn't right either.

This attitude is precisely our problem. We seem unwilling to change anything. I'm not saying we need to completely change our defense or make any type of drastic changes, but we cant just keep doing the same things we've done all season. Teams are figuring us out. We have to start making more adjustments.

What exactly have teams figured out and adjusted to?

Our offense has sucked all year. Nobody has adjusted to make our offense worse. Our two best players are hurt. That has been the biggest change.

Now on offense I would have liked to seen the team do some things differently this year. I would have liked to play at a much slower tempo. I wish they would have stuck much closer to the Majerus offense. I think it much better fits the talent currently on the roster.

That said...............

This isn't Majerus's team anymore. Crews wanted to start inserting his offense for the types of players he wants to recruit. It, also, takes a ton of practice time to properly run Majerus's system. Could it have even been run properly without Majerus's great eye for detail? Would our defense have been as effective with much more time devoted to offensive prep every game? Hell, we probably don't have enough effective outside shooters on the roster for it to have made that big of difference.

I think the defense is part of the problem. 72 points to Dayton? That's an issue.

It's not the biggest problem, but it isn't right either.

I think we have some problems on D that can trace back to the fact that we are playing two hurt guys. I don't think the defense we are running or a lack of defensive adjustments are the problem. Also, Dayton is a pretty damn good offensive team. 25th best in the country according to Pomeroy.