Bracketology 1/16

Taj79

How's it looking this morning, Mr. Lunardi?

Saint Louis up to a 7 seed against New Mexico in Orlando. With a win to face #2 Florida. Nice.

Dayton a 12 seed in what appears to be a play-in game against Arkansas heading towards San Antonio.

GeeDub a 10 seed against Gonzaga in St. Louis.

VCU drops to an 11 seed in Raleigh against Lousiville.

And Umass a four agianst Belmont in Spokane. Yikes. Can you get from Amherst to Spokane?

Last four byes: VCU. WOW!

Last four in: Dayton. That's tough for the last ten-time preseasn national champs.

All I'll say is with Tyrek Duren back, don't sleep onLa Salle. They are looking good.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How's it looking this morning, Mr. Lunardi?

Saint Louis up to a 7 seed against New Mexico in Orlando. With a win to face #2 Florida. Nice.

Dayton a 12 seed in what appears to be a play-in game against Arkansas heading towards San Antonio.

GeeDub a 10 seed against Gonzaga in St. Louis.

VCU drops to an 11 seed in Raleigh against Lousiville.

And Umass a four agianst Belmont in Spokane. Yikes. Can you get from Amherst to Spokane?

Last four byes: VCU. WOW!

Last four in: Dayton. That's tough for the last ten-time preseasn national champs.

All I'll say is with Tyrek Duren back, don't sleep onLa Salle. They are looking good.

Given that the play-in games are held at UD Arena, what happens if Dayton is one of those play-in teams?

They get a home game. I saw a write up on this from the Dayton beat writer before our game with them.

I wonder if the committee would do its best not to allow that to happen. If they're considered one of the final 4 teams in the tourney, would they just bump them up (or down?) a notch in order to avoid the "controversy?"

Would be a ridiculous atmosphere though.

What do we have to do in order to get a couple of games at ScottTrade? Why do I have the feeling that we'll be traveling to Spokane?

If we are a top 16 overall team in the field than we would have to be higher that Kansas and Wichita State, because they would be placed into St. Louis first. After that it is luck, I don't see them keeping us home since we are 1.7 miles from Scottrade. But they kept Cal in the Bay Area last year as a #12 seed.

According to the bracketology site St. Louis gets the 7-10 and 2-15 match-ups. Is that set in stone? Or is that just speculation? We'd need to go 32-2 to get that #2 seed. I suppose a #7 is possible, but would hope to do better than that.

According to the bracketology site St. Louis gets the 7-10 and 2-15 match-ups. Is that set in stone? Or is that just speculation? We'd need to go 32-2 to get that #2 seed. I suppose a #7 is possible, but would hope to do better than that.

Not set in stone

I'm guessing our range of potential seeds will narrow as we move through January/February and closer to Brooklyn. Right now, obviously, we could end up anywhere from a 2 through not in the tournament.

In order to get up to the 4-5 seed range, I project that we can only lose two more games before the A-10 tournament. Losing 3-4 games would put us in the 6-9 range. We as fans have every right to expect this team to be sitting at 20-2 in a few weeks, and if we make it to that point, we will be sitting pretty good for a high seed.

Lastly, we want Indiana St and Dayton to keep winning so that we can have a couple of top 50 wins.

I'm guessing our range of potential seeds will narrow as we move through January/February and closer to Brooklyn. Right now, obviously, we could end up anywhere from a 2 through not in the tournament.

In order to get up to the 4-5 seed range, I project that we can only lose two more games before the A-10 tournament. Losing 3-4 games would put us in the 6-9 range. We as fans have every right to expect this team to be sitting at 20-2 in a few weeks, and if we make it to that point, we will be sitting pretty good for a high seed.

Lastly, we want Indiana St and Dayton to keep winning so that we can have a couple of top 50 wins.

That seems pretty accurate. According to the RPI projection site, at 26-4 we'll have an RPI of ~16. At 25-5 we drop to ~20 which puts us as the last 5 seed (if they went purely by RPI). http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Saint%20Louis.html

To iggy's question; the seeds at a given region can be anything. The bigger concern is that while technically they could place us in STL as a 5 seed or higher, it seems unlikely they'd want to give us such a big advantage in a second round game (despite the Cal 12 seed last year). Additionally, as Fromdaeastside pointed out, KU and Wichita St. will likely have dibs on the top seeds in STL. So to summarize it all up, chances are very low we'll be playing at the Scottrade.

Any talk about bracketology at this time is pure projection and guess work. The closer the conference play gets to the end the more realistic these projections will become. At this time, it does look like we will be going to the NCAA tournament. The actual bracket we get is far from being certain at this time.

That seems pretty accurate. According to the RPI projection site, at 26-4 we'll have an RPI of ~16. At 25-5 we drop to ~20 which puts us as the last 5 seed (if they went purely by RPI). http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Saint%20Louis.html

To iggy's question; the seeds at a given region can be anything. The bigger concern is that while technically they could place us in STL as a 5 seed or higher, it seems unlikely they'd want to give us such a big advantage in a second round game (despite the Cal 12 seed last year). Additionally, as Fromdaeastside pointed out, KU and Wichita St. will likely have dibs on the top seeds in STL. So to summarize it all up, chances are very low we'll be playing at the Scottrade.

There's one large difference between Cal's situation and our situation. Namely, we are "SLU" and they are "CAL" Committee won't go out of their way to help us out location-wise, as we saw when they sent us from Brooklyn to San Jose. Literally the worst location we could've drawn. The best we could look for I think for the first weekend is Milwaukee. Only a 6/6.5 hour drive. Not to get ahead of ourselves, but the nice thing is that both Indy and Memphis are very close!

There's one large difference between Cal's situation and our situation. Namely, we are "SLU" and they are "CAL" Committee won't go out of their way to help us out location-wise, as we saw when they sent us from Brooklyn to San Jose. Literally the worst location we could've drawn. The best we could look for I think for the first weekend is Milwaukee. Only a 6/6.5 hour drive. Not to get ahead of ourselves, but the nice thing is that both Indy and Memphis are very close!

Last year, we were the 15th Overall Seeded team in the tourney with Syracuse (16.) They had already slotted Gonzaga and New Mexico to Salt Lake City and with no other west coast teams in the top 16, San Jose was the only spot left without any teams. We were the lucky ones for that cross country flight. Luckily the PAC12 is better this year with San Jose and Spokane being 2nd/3rd round sites.

If you look at Lunardi's Braketology he has UMass going to Spokane and Creighton going to San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's ******. Those two teams are mostly likely those 15/16 teams right now.

Let's go to San Diego! San Diego is a fine city.

Spokane is not that easy to access, but of course, doable from here.

Last year SLU was the highest seed in San Jose, as we SLU fans were given the seats right behind the SLU Bench, and the SLU Pep Band played the National Anthem before each session.

The NCAA let Cal bus down the I-880 Freeway and put an admittedly underseeded Oregon team (much to SLU's detriment) in San Jose to fill seats. SLU found itself seeded into the de facto Pac-12 Invitational.

That (filling of seats) is a factor, no question.

Given that SLU has been seeded into the West Regional the last 2 years, I doubt SLU will be in the West this year.

The difference the last 2 years was that in '12, SLU (a 9 seed) was in the West Regional but seeded into a pod in Columbus, Ohio. In '13, SLU was the 4 seed and sent to San Jose.

Other than last season, the only other year in the modern era that SLU was even sent westward from St. Louis was in 1994 when SLU was a 7 seed in the Midwest Regional and sent to Wichita.

In the modern era, going forward from '94, SLU has been in the Midwest Regional twice, the West Regional twice, and the East and South only once each.

So my best guess is SLU will be in the East or South Regional this year. However, since the NCAA started that Pod System, it is more difficult to predict anything. But I did have a hunch that SLU was coming to San Jose last year.

Given that SLU has been seeded into the West Regional the last 2 years, I doubt SLU will be in the West this year.

The difference the last 2 years was that in '12, SLU (a 9 seed) was in the West Regional but seeded into a pod in Columbus, Ohio. In '13, SLU was the 4 seed and sent to San Jose.

Other than last season, the only other year in the modern era that SLU was even sent westward from St. Louis was in 1994 when SLU was a 7 seed in the Midwest Regional and sent to Wichita.

In the modern era, going forward from '94, SLU has been in the Midwest Regional twice, the West Regional twice, and the East and South only once each.

So my best guess is SLU will be in the East or South Regional this year. However, since the NCAA started that Pod System, it is more difficult to predict anything. But I did have a hunch that SLU was coming to San Jose last year.

We were in the Midwest last year. We would've gone to Indy if we beat Oregon

Big deal! Many of us have been going for decades at home and followed them on the road. The students have been much better and the stands were full last night.

but have you ever cheered at any of those games? the fact that you have to commend the students for showing up to their on-campus arena to watch their nationally ranked team is PATHETIC

Go back to Edwardsville and continue to call yourself a St. Louisan, NextYearBill

SLU grad, sorry for caring. enjoy the fair weather

but have you ever cheered at any of those games? the fact that you have to commend the students for showing up to their on-campus arena to watch their nationally ranked team is PATHETIC

SLU grad, sorry for caring. enjoy the fair weather

I make more noise and lead more cheers than anyone within 100 feet of me. No one started this by commending the students. You started it by dissing the students and we wanted to set the record straight. There was a very nice crowd of students last night.