Top 25?

moytoy12

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Wichita State can climb as high as 5 with their pathetic schedule, there's no reason we can't continue to climb and even challenge last season's year-end ranking.

People always talk about how we have "no good wins" besides Dayton and Indiana St, but Wichita st really doesn't have any besides beating slu

People always talk about how we have "no good wins" besides Dayton and Indiana St, but Wichita st really doesn't have any besides beating slu

People need to chill out about the "no good wins" stuff. We also have no bad losses... at this time last year, we had lost to Santa Clara plus a mediocre Washington team and we were about ready to lose at the Fetz to a bad URI team. Just keep winning, while the teams ranked in front of us lose and we will be just fine. There are only a handful of unbeaten teams and our losses are against two of them. If we just play better in the last three minutes of the WSU game, we'd probably be ranked 15-20 range and people would be giddy about this team. There will be plenty of opportunities to get "good wins" ... VCU twice, Dayton again, UMass and GW (currently a top 30 rpi).

People need to chill out about the "no good wins" stuff. We also have no bad losses... at this time last year, we had lost to Santa Clara plus a mediocre Washington team and we were about ready to lose at the Fetz to a bad URI team. Just keep winning, while the teams ranked in front of us lose and we will be just fine. There are only a handful of unbeaten teams and our losses are against two of them. If we just play better in the last three minutes of the WSU game, we'd probably be ranked 15-20 range and people would be giddy about this team. There will be plenty of opportunities to get "good wins" ... VCU twice, Dayton again, UMass and GW (currently a top 30 rpi).

It's worth commenting on because our relatively weak schedule will hurt us come Selection Sunday unless we do very well in conference (so far, so good). If we were to end the season at 22-8 (not including Rockhurt) and our only notable non-conference win is against Indiana State, with no top 50 wins in conference, we might be in a little bit of trouble. Fortunately, I don't think that will be the case and we'll likely end up with 2 or 3 more top 50 wins and a better record. Like it or not, the committee and the "experts" judge you in part by how many good teams you've beat.

After beating Dayton on the road, losing four conference games would disappoint me a lot. I think we can do better. Four conference losses with the schedule we've got would definitely put a cap on how decent of a seed we could get in the tourney. Hopefully we can beat Dayton, GW and VCU at home and avoid any banana peels against weaker teams. Of course, doing all that plus also winning one of the VCU and UMass road games would be awesome.

Those teams are nowhere close to being ranked. I can't remember any team ever being in the top 5 with such a lack of elite opponents. We are the best of the lot.

Neither is Dayton or Indiana State. I'm just looking for quality wins and each team I listed is a top 100 team right now, while Tennessee and BYU are both top 50s. Until Saturday, we didn't have any top 50s. And yes, we are likely the best of that bunch, but that is also why Wichita State is getting a ton of credit. They came into our house and beat us, which is clearly not an easy feat. ,

If Wichita State can climb as high as 5 with their pathetic schedule, there's no reason we can't continue to climb and even challenge last season's year-end ranking.

WSU's expected non-conference SOS is 47. SLU's is 129. Their non-conference slate may not have been full of world beaters, but it was definitely tougher than SLU's and filled with teams that will finish with sub-150 RPIs. The won three true road games and two neutral site ones. Also, they only scheduled one 200+ RPI non-conference game (Tennessee St.)

It's worth commenting on because our relatively weak schedule will hurt us come Selection Sunday unless we do very well in conference (so far, so good). If we were to end the season at 22-8 (not including Rockhurt) and our only notable non-conference win is against Indiana State, with no top 50 wins in conference, we might be in a little bit of trouble. Fortunately, I don't think that will be the case and we'll likely end up with 2 or 3 more top 50 wins and a better record. Like it or not, the committee and the "experts" judge you in part by how many good teams you've beat.

Unortunately, the Wichita State opportunity is gone, but we will get several nice wins. Dayton is currently a Top 50 win. Getting that one on the road was impressive. There are still other good opportunities. We won't have as many good wins on our resume this year like last year (NM, Butler 3 x and VCU 2x), but we also figure not to have as many bad losses - SCU, URI and Washington.

WSU's expected non-conference SOS is 47. SLU's is 129. Their non-conference slate may not have been full of world beaters, but it was definitely tougher than SLU's and filled with teams that will finish with sub-150 RPIs. The won three true road games and two neutral site ones. Also, they only scheduled one 200+ RPI non-conference game (Tennessee St.)

Yeah, and we barely cracked the top 25. Wichita State is top 5. That's why I'm ragging on their schedule. Nobody would call SLU anything close to a top 5 team with their resume, so I'm not sure why you think comparing them to us suggests I'm being unfair.

Wichita State hasn't played anybody comparable to themselves or Wisconsin (or particularly close) to lose to. Our recent win at Dayton is probably better than any of theirs except the one at Chaifetz.

After beating Dayton on the road, losing four conference games would disappoint me a lot. I think we can do better. Four conference losses with the schedule we've got would definitely put a cap on how decent of a seed we could get in the tourney. Hopefully we can beat Dayton, GW and VCU at home and avoid any banana peels against weaker teams. Of course, doing all that plus also winning one of the VCU and UMass road games would be awesome.

Agreed. Personally, I put the over-under for losses at 3.5 (more MB's method than the Wiz's). Beating Dayton on the road was huge, as I figured it for a loss.

Unortunately, the Wichita State opportunity is gone, but we will get several nice wins. Dayton is currently a Top 50 win. Getting that one on the road was impressive. There are still other good opportunities. We won't have as many good wins on our resume this year like last year (NM, Butler 3 x and VCU 2x), but we also figure not to have as many bad losses - SCU, URI and Washington.

Hoping that SLU holds serve at home, there are only two road games that offer 'bad loss' opportunities the rest of the way: Duquesne and George Mason. Per RPIForecast, Duquesne is expected to finish with an RPI around 212 while George Mason should finish around 140. George Mason would be a semi-bad loss while Duquesne would definitely be a bad loss. The rest of the road games all offer opportunities to pick up very good, resume-building wins.

Agreed. Plenty of opportunities ahead and I think we'll win enough of them. My point is that when projecting brackets in January, one can only look at the schedule to this point. If the tourney committee had made its selections before Saturday, I would've been a little uncomfortable. I don't think that will be the case in March.

Yeah, and we barely cracked the top 25. Wichita State is top 5. That's why I'm ragging on their schedule. Nobody would call SLU anything close to a top 5 team with their resume, so I'm not sure why you think comparing them to us suggests I'm being unfair.

Wichita State hasn't played anybody comparable to themselves or Wisconsin (or particularly close) to lose to. Our recent win at Dayton is probably better than any of theirs except the one at Chaifetz.

I was taking umbrage at you stating it is a 'pathetic' schedule. From what I can tell, having a non-conference slate with a SOS below 50 is pretty competitive. They also scheduled three true road games and competed in a pre-season tournament. You also said there is no reason why SLU can't climb and challenge last year's ranking, which was 13, in comparison to WSU's schedule. I am merely pointing out that Wichita State's schedule is not that bad and their non-conference schedule is much better than SLU's.

Last year we were 6-1 or 5-1 against top 25 teams. This year we might be 2-2 against top 25 teams AT BEST and could be 0-3 or just 0-2. Last year's wins over Butler and VCU were unbelievable. Unfortunately, we will not get that same chance this year.

I'll help some of you guys solve the great mystery:

9 months ago, pretty much the same guys whipped Creighton, Pitt, Gonzaga, La Salle, Ohio State, then got beat by 4 to eventual champs Louisville. That was their final 6 games.

All due respect to the shock about the Shockers at #5; but c'mon man! This is where some of you whine, yeah but who did they beat this year? Well I think voters, obviously, take that tournament run somewhat into account, don't you?? (Meanwhile, we wilted on the big stage to a so-so Oregon team that had a great shooting night (we were never in it either)...

ps: they also knocked off the Billikens @ Chaifetz, and it may turn out they are the only team that does that in this year! I hope so, anyway...