Another Reason to HATE VCU

slu72

I just read ESPN's write up on the A10 that came out on 9/30. Believe it or not, only VCU and HAVOC were mentioned, save for Butler but only in the context of how havoc destroyed them last year. So, in addition to Spike being their biggest band wagon jumper, VCU is now considered the only team in the A10 worthy of attention from ESPN. I guess the fact that SLU unleashed Hell on Havoc twice last season must have been a fluke and undeserving of any recognition. I now hate VCU more than Mizzery.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gents, relax yourself. It is good that all the big names are on the Shaka/VCU bandwagon. It will make our wins that much sweeter. I hope they get some big wins before we face them to raise their RPI but more than likely their big time schedule vs 4 ACC schools/1 Big Ten school will be a factor. If they can win a majority of those game it will boost the A10 standings and mean a big win for SLU to get them.

VCU is the latest "IT" team. We've seen it before. Relative unknown bursts on the college scene. Has all the pundits fall in love with it. Maintains a run of consistency. Becomes a household word. Duke. Marquette. Memphis. Gonzaga. Georgetown. UNLV. Xavier. Butler. Now VCU.

We've also seen teams make the splash but fail to hold the pike position: Mason. Indiana State. Bradley.

I see another slobbering on the cusp, Creighton. Of course, can they maintain it after McDermott leaves? i say no.

I think we are faced with a large opportunity this year. Beat VCU at home and at VCU and again in the A10 tourney, and we have our biggest potential push ever. Six wins over Cinderella in two years and that's more national street cred then you can buy anywhere. Beating them at Siegel will be tough but the teams I saw handle them last year were teams that ran four heady ballhandlers at them. Or a Trey Burke. They key is then McBroom. We already have three/four in Jett,McCall and Evans/Barnett.

We have a huge opportunity right in our own conference slate. We don't have to beg for that in trying to get an OOC opportunity over a few years of scheduling. Let them ride high and seize the day.

I agree, Taj Mahal 79, w/ a caveat; If Shaka continues to remain there. He's been successful and he's getting strong recruits. He's the coach Du Jour and the sports media loves him as much as the liberal media adores Obamarama. He's turned down some pretty lush jobs the last two years, so he seems pretty content at VCU. Could it be he sees their new home as the Beast and figures that's as good as being in a BCS conference?

Sorta like how the republican/tea party media adores Bush you mean? What in the world does that have to do with VCU and Shaka. This is sports, keep your political affiliation off this board.

Sorta like how the republican/tea party media adores Bush you mean? What in the world does that have to do with VCU and Shaka. This is sports, keep your political affiliation off this board.

Let me get this straight, you're now a moderator in training? It was an analogy nothing more. Obviously it was spot on though, since it got under your skin.

Let me get this straight, you're now a moderator in training? It was an analogy nothing more. Obviously it was spot on though, since it got under your skin.

Yeah, it was an analogy, but this moderator would prefer that everyone refrain from utilizing such analogies. Thank you for your cooperation.

Maybe a simple apology that you got carried away in your analogy would be prudent. If you cannot get yourself to that point then so be it. Moderator, I am not but it does not take one to point out something that obvious. I cannot fault you for being closed-minded but knowing the various types of fans of SLU that are on this board I am sure your statement hit from leftfield. It might just be who you are but you do not represent me or the consensus of posters on here. It was just a weird statement to make to say the least and had nothing to do with the topic of VCU/Shaka or our beloved BILLIKENS.. Worst of all you have taken away from a good discussion on VCU you started.

Maybe a simple apology that you got carried away in your analogy would be prudent. If you cannot get yourself to that point then so be it. Moderator, I am not but it does not take one to point out something that obvious. I cannot fault you for being closed-minded but knowing the various types of fans of SLU that are on this board I am sure your statement hit from leftfield. It might just be who you are but you do not represent me or the consensus of posters on here. It was just a weird statement to make to say the least and had nothing to do with the topic of VCU/Shaka or our beloved BILLIKENS.. Worst of all you have taken away from a good discussion on VCU you started.

:blink::blink::blink::unsure:

I am critical of him too as we should be as citizens. I just like our board clean for supporting our Billikens who I am sure like us all represent various ethnicities and beliefs. The political stuff is a hot potato. Thanks for seeing that.

You are right on it that the sports media is crowning VCU prematurely and I look forward to the battle in the "Arena." Same with Wichita State...we will enter each game with a chip on our shoulders and have much to prove to the country. I have a feeling VCU knows what is coming their way even with all the fluff publicity.

I give up....

@larry72 --- I think you should also give up your unholy fixation on the Big East stuff. We didn't make the first cut. So be it. We move on. We attack where we are and hope the next big thing includes us. We ain't nobody. Yet. Please see my note above that talks about maintaining a run of consistency. We have NEVER done that. The mid-80's with Douglas, Gray and Bonner. Two years with Claggs and Hmark. One year aberrations with the Legend and the Miracle in Memphis. Our current run would have likely been longer if not for the Situation but all we have in the bank of current cachet are two good years. This should be three. At that point, the Majerus era is over sans the unproven Glaze and Manning. That's when it gets real interesting in my book.

I wouldn't worry too too much about VCU wandering into the Big East domain. I might worry more about Uconn, Umass, Richmond, Siena and Temple. Not that I have any insight and yes Uconn and Temple play (barely) FBS football but those schools fit the east coast mode and I am still concerned about the division of things if we really are #11 and Dayton stays at #12 in the Big East. I don't think the powers that be are going to want two teams west of the Appalachians to be the next two. But, as we all know,geography doesn't really matter much anymore.

But why lose sleep over it?

Taj Mahal 79, it just makes sense they go west of the Appachians, which they've already done. I don't see CT as a threat since the BCS'ers are probably not done w/ expansion. Why would the Beast invite them when they know they'd jump at the first offer to join a BCS conference, be it the Big 10 or the ACC? As for the other schools you mention, one has to think the 5 Midwest schools would argue the logic of adding another east coast school for the non revenue sports, ie travel expenses. One has to wonder how wise was it for CU to join the new Beast if they've got to be schlepping their soccer, baseball, softball team, etc halfway across the country to compete with 5 schools that boder the Atlantic Ocean. Yes, it should be a major concern to SLU if we're not added as the 11th or 12th team. I could see a UMass and Richmond, both have FB programs, jumping to a CUSA/MAC/or America Conf. And if that happens, where does that leave the A10? All of a sudden the MVC would look like an attractive option for us.