A Good Laugh: CBS Sports Conference Predictions

Littlebill

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/23932001/college-basketball-preview-conference-predictions

Parrish, Borzello, Gottlieb and Palm have us 2nd, behind VCU.

Rothstein has us 3rd, behind LaSalle and VCU.

Matt Norlander has us........6th, as he picked UMass to win the league (No, seriously).

Relevant tweet:

@jeffborzello @GaryParrishCBS Was @MattNorlander drunk when he did this?

I'm always amused at true blue fans who feel slighted when their team does not get the preseason respect they believe it deserves.

Preseason predictions are just so tiresome, and many fall victim to caring about them way too much. Just a bunch of know-nothing blabbermouths trying to makes sense out of -- what, exactly?? And then, if somehow their predictions do come true, they can for once say, see I told ya! blowtorch 'em all.

I have some bracing news for everyone: till we win some games and see what we got this year, who knows? Maybe we do finish 6th. Or 1st. Or ?? Part of the fun, for me, is just rooting for the home team, come what may, and actually watching the story of a season unfold. Honestly, I'm still not quite sure how this team will look this year, or play on the road, or whatever. Actually losing to UMass, or Richmond, on the road, will probably happen at some point...

I used to care about such "predictions" a lot more, when I was younger; but I'm very very tired of getting burned by exaggerated expectations. Look at the Rams this year, just to give the most obvious example. If you are a Rams fans you keep getting jerked around by unreasonable and deeply disappointing prognosticators, and the blood pressure keeps elevating. I even admit I had some optimism for Jeff fisher and company. Lots of Rams fans were foaming at the mouth at how little respect their Rams were getting, etc. Now look at them. To hell with all that: burned again...

My argument: it is more healthy to have LOW expectations. Then enjoy the ride, when and if it comes. Sports is a fickle lover, do not let her too deeply into your hearts, my friends ... signing off.

Doctor B, agree with your "blabbermouth" comment. The practical side of news writing and particularly early sports predictions is to give your perceived audience what they want to hear and make it sound reasonably solid. If all of these "early predictions" show anything at all what they really show is the fact that SLU is still not in the public's radar, at least not as a known and confirmed winner.

• 4 months later...

I am looking at Norlander's predictions at other conferences, he way off on most of them. He's clueless.

Norlander probably just makes wild predictions to stand out from the crowd. If he picks chalk and then it is correct no one notices, but if he makes some crazy picks and they turn out he can point back and say he was smarter than everyone else.

Norlander probably just makes wild predictions to stand out from the crowd. If he picks chalk and then it is correct no one notices, but if he makes some crazy picks and they turn out he can point back and say he was smarter than everyone else.

Norlander = MB73