New SLU Basketball Podcast

Pistol

Podcast is up, yet to listen myself: http://hankssportsblog.com/fcp-091213/

Listened to the first & part of the second segment. It is pretty rough. The introduction of each of the commentators is brutal. Lots of repetitiveness and very choppy. These kids obviously don't have much experience, but there is some interesting info if you can stomach a lot of rambling. I'm expecting it to get better as they become more comfortable speaking on Podcasts and work out the kinks.

Notes:

-They said VCU game at Chaifetz will be 1st time ESPN broadcasts from Chaifetz. Should make for an awesome atmosphere.

-Their discussion of the Jared Drew situation is rambling and incoherent. Hanchen seems to be trying to get Ben W to blame SLU, but he won't bite.

-I would probably recommend skipping the 1st segment unless you have 26 mins to kill and don't care about wasting them.

-Jake Barnett sounds better / more fluid speaking than any of them.

-Jake has high expectations for the season. Seniors are all "leaders".

-Didn't realize that Jake is already 24. Jake, Grandy, Jordair, & Reggie all went to prep school, so the team is "old".

-I liked that Jake said his role on the team will be "helping the team win".

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe Brian got through a whole podcast without mentioning Mizzery

Nope. At the beginning of segment 2, he mentions that the intro they are using is from a Mizzou Podcast he used to do, but they are going to get a new intro and then he says the name of the Podcast "Full Court Press" is the old name from the Mizzou Podcast because it was when Anderson was coach.

Nope. At the beginning of segment 2, he mentions that the intro they are using is from a Mizzou Podcast he used to do, but they are going to get a new intro and then he says the name of the Podcast "Full Court Press" is the old name from the Mizzou Podcast because it was when Anderson was coach.

I have no idea who this guy is, and yet I hate him.

Overall a nice job for a first podcast. Jake is a well spoken young man who is a fine representative of Billiken basketball. He really has life in perspective and I can see where the younger guys like RA, TL, and MC will benefit from his presence this season.

Listened to the first & part of the second segment. It is pretty rough. The introduction of each of the commentators is brutal. Lots of repetitiveness and very choppy. These kids obviously don't have much experience, but there is some interesting info if you can stomach a lot of rambling. I'm expecting it to get better as they become more comfortable speaking on Podcasts and work out the kinks.

Notes:

-They said VCU game at Chaifetz will be 1st time ESPN broadcasts from Chaifetz. Should make for an awesome atmosphere.

-Their discussion of the Jared Drew situation is rambling and incoherent. Hanchen seems to be trying to get Ben W to blame SLU, but he won't bite.

-I would probably recommend skipping the 1st segment unless you have 26 mins to kill and don't care about wasting them.

-Jake Barnett sounds better / more fluid speaking than any of them.

-Jake has high expectations for the season. Seniors are all "leaders".

-Didn't realize that Jake is already 24. Jake, Grandy, Jordair, & Reggie all went to prep school, so the team is "old".

-I liked that Jake said his role on the team will be "helping the team win".

When the Drew thing first happened, I wasn't sure what to make of it, but I think the fact that his scholarship went unused is a pretty good indication that he was NOT shown the door to go get another player.

Jake is awesome. If only he were from Washington, Mo. or St. Charles, he'd be a more beloved figure. Great team guy and will play a bigge role this season. Does a lot off the court. Excellent ambassador for the program.

ESPN already released that schedule. We're not on it. I just assume they had incorrect information on the podcast or they meant regular ESPN/ESPN2

Or SLU72 made a misleading post. I haven't heard the podcast yet but I'd be shocked if they said SLU was hosting a gameday or even suggested anything along those lines.

Did they mean College BB Today pregame show? If so, our students better get their crazies on.

They DIDN'T mean College BB Today pregame show. It wasn't clear if they were talking about the first "ESPN/ESPN2" game at Chaifetz or simply forgot about the ESPNU Dayton game. The comment did sound like it was off the top of their heads and not researched.

Either way 1st game on ESPN/ESPN2 is a big deal because everyone has those stations while not many get ESPNU.

I finally made it through the 2nd 1/2 of segment 2 and segment 3.

A few more notes:

-Ugh. They ended it by playing a clip of Party in the USA by Miley Cyrus

-I would really recommend listening to the interview with Jake Barnett (segment 2). It is the best part of the podcast by far.

-The interview with Bob Ramsey (segment 3) is also good, but gets cut short because of technical issues.

-They noted towards the end that there will be a fan event in October closer to when the season starts. They said it would not be a scrimmage like last year, but didn't have any details.

-Hanchen also clarifies that he meant it will be the 1st time regular ESPN "the mothership" is at Chaifetz.

I listened to all three segments this morning. General thoughts:

-Better than expectations, based on what I had initially upon finding out it existed and setting the bar low for undergrads, and after reading people's misgivings about Haenchen.

-There were some technical issues, like losing Rammer, but it sounds like they will have more help from a technical standpoint in the near future.

-I thought Haenchen had a good voice and good delivery; my problem with him is that he seems to be too heavily influenced by the overly aggressive sports radio personalities that are unfortunately typical of the style. Did he really need to take a shot at Timmerman ("typical beat around the bush question")? There were a few other spots where I rolled my eyes at his jock talk crap, but otherwise found him the most solid of the three.

-He also acknowledged that this was going to be a Mizzou basketball podcast but relaunched it for SLU. Otherwise, his Mizzou love didn't creep in, and he even acknowledged that this audience wouldn't be pleased with Mizzou talk. So he seems aware of what it needs to be.

-Alex Kozich is shaky. Doesn't seem particularly knowledgeable, either; maybe he is, but he doesn't show the ability to convey it.

-Haenchen mentioned the possibility of going to more of a live format so that they could interact with fans. This would be a mistake. They don't have much of an audience to speak of yet so it's probably too soon to consider. But way more importantly is that the advantage of podcasts is that they can be edited. There's no need to take live calls and open yourself to the possibility (probability) of having to deal with morons live. I would publicize a voicemail inbox (and Twitter handle and general email address) that people can call, and then people can ask something or make a comment that they can prepare for, play, and respond to on the show. That way it's all good questions/comments with tight answers and no awkward exchanges with idiots.

• 4 weeks later...

notes:

-earl talked about billiken madness and how you can't tell much

-said to look for Grandy to be more productive and that he lost 30 lbs this offseason

-also mentioned JM eating up more minutes, doesn't seem to expect a breakout season from him. called him a solid backup to Rob

-mentioned Mike Crawford as a possible redshirt. Seemed to think that Lancona and Agbeko would get time here and there

-Mentioned Mcbroom as a nice fit to the rest of the guards mentioned that his defense will be biggest key

-I started listening to the interview with Norlander (the cbs guy) but mine cut out as he was starting to talk about the team makeup. He was apparently going to talk about the beast and new college rules. Probably didn't miss much

It will be interesting to see if our defense is affected by the supposed crackdown by the refs on physical play this year. How much will VCU have to adjust ? Will the more famous/ more vocal coaches intimidate the refs into backing off on these new interpretations ? Interesting.