Sorta-kinda OT: Cold, Fresh Beer, Billiken Style

prebilliken

52NxC9V.jpg

Saw this on reddit this morning. Actually on /r/billikens. Yes, there is a sub-reddit for the Billikens.

A current student took an old SLU Football graphic and threw it up on a kegerator that he refurbished. Tile and graphics are all custom.

That is a true fan right there. Party on young man, party on.

This is off of the topic, but I've wondered for a while but never asked: What was SLU's mascot/nickname before the "Bender's Billikens" moniker took hold about 100 years ago? Anyone know? Bonwich?

I believe, as it was common with most teams, that SLU was referred to by their school colors, or the "Blue and White." Perhaps "White and Blue." This was common with most teams before monikers, the Arkansas Razorbacks were the "Cardinal" the Packers were known as the "Big Bay Blues." So on and so forth.

I believe, as it was common with most teams, that SLU was referred to by their school colors, or the "Blue and White." Perhaps "White and Blue." This was common with most teams before monikers, the Arkansas Razorbacks were the "Cardinal" the Packers were known as the "Big Bay Blues." So on and so forth.

I believe you are a bit off on the Pack. Because their colors were originally blue and gold (then green and gold, then back to blue and gold) they were sometimes referred to as The Big Bay Blues, but their nickname has always been the Packers, so they've always had a moniker. It would be more like the Cardinals are the Cardinals but sometimes referred to as the redbirds

This is off of the topic, but I've wondered for a while but never asked: What was SLU's mascot/nickname before the "Bender's Billikens" moniker took hold about 100 years ago? Anyone know? Bonwich?

I heard a couple years ago someone say it used to be the Dukes, but I have never found a drop of info to back that up. That was also my High School mascot so I found that neat and am going to choose to believe it.

I believe you are a bit off on the Pack. Because their colors were originally blue and gold (then green and gold, then back to blue and gold) they were sometimes referred to as The Big Bay Blues, but their nickname has always been the Packers, so they've always had a moniker. It would be more like the Cardinals are the Cardinals but sometimes referred to as the redbirds

please ban prebilliken for labeling this awesomeness sorta-kind OT.

this is very much on-topic.

tanks.

thumb2-dfa183c7120f8998ccdf594a4304cee8.

Jimbo, I would never offend. My bad.

You're spot on with the Pack. I was generalizing and looking for examples. My parents are from Wisconsin and I would never confuse the fact that Green Bay were originally dubbed the "Acme Packers." I was just looking for more references.

And you realize that the "G" on their helmets does not stand for "Green Bay."