Ackerman/Big East Today

Taj79

Clock, if you're right SLU would have to pay the following:

1. A half a million for the A-10 exit fee

2. Estimated half a mil for loss of NCAA credits

3. Pay unknown initiation fee for membership in the exclusive Club Beast

4. Get a lesser amount of the TV revenues.

The pleasure of beating Seton Hall, Providence, DePaul, and Saint Johns- Priceless?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The pleasure of beating Seton Hall, Providence, DePaul, and Saint Johns- Priceless?

I think the A-10 exit fee is 2M within a year.

I wonder if McGlade tries the grant of rights move that some of the other leagues have.

Way off on the NCAA credits. We earn roughly $1,000,000 each year for the next 4 years, $500,000 for the fifth year, assuming we were paid a million this year. Plus additional if we make the tournament next year. It's my understanding, if we leave, we lose them all.

I agree that uneven revenue streams from TV will only make the conf weaker no matter who they add so that makes no sense to me. I would think the new BE would have to counter the lose of NCAA credits some how - maybe by giving the full TV share which would in the end net more money. I wonder if the A10 has already told SLU and maybe Dayton if they are the other target that stay with us for a couple of years so we can get our house in order and we will only charge you the 1/2 million exit fee or something else. Who knows what is happening for sure but I find the reaction from the schools not getting invited rather low key - I know you can say what choice do they have or why would they want to complain and upset the new BE in the future - but when the original BE formed and we were left out there was much howling and gnashing of teeth taking place over how Marq and DePaul did us dirty - remember Louisville and Cincy - they were going berserk.

I agree that uneven revenue streams from TV will only make the conf weaker no matter who they add so that makes no sense to me. I would think the new BE would have to counter the lose of NCAA credits some how - maybe by giving the full TV share which would in the end net more money. I wonder if the A10 has already told SLU and maybe Dayton if they are the other target that stay with us for a couple of years so we can get our house in order and we will only charge you the 1/2 million exit fee or something else. Who knows what is happening for sure but I find the reaction from the schools not getting invited rather low key - I know you can say what choice do they have or why would they want to complain and upset the new BE in the future - but when the original BE formed and we were left out there was much howling and gnashing of teeth taking place over how Marq and DePaul did us dirty - remember Louisville and Cincy - they were going berserk.

I think the "low key" part of it is more that nobody wants to crap where they sleep. If SLU comes out and publicly pines for the Big East, the A-10 has every reason to screw them. If you're involved in the process, you also have to be wary of the disaster scenario (staying in the A-10). If SLU/Dayton/whoever would say we are not interested in remaining a member of the A-10 and the Big East invite never comes, it becomes a hostile environment.

SLU has the worst travel situation in the A-10 as of now. I don't think our leadership wants to make it worse.

When asked about expansion, new Big East Commissioner Ackerman said, "Right now we love 10. Ten is a great number and we have no immediate plans to go beyond. We have so much on our plate that expansion isn't even on our radar right now. We're satisfied with 10 and that's where we'll be for the foreseeable future."

I think that clearly sums it up. They have 10. They have so much to do and figure out that they will sit tight and garner some stability. Then, in time, if it seems to be lucrative and in the conference's best interest, they will entertain the idea of expansion.
All we have to do is win. If we just win, they will want to capitalize on our success. Just win, boys.

When asked about expansion, new Big East Commissioner Ackerman said, "Right now we love 10. Ten is a great number and we have no immediate plans to go beyond. We have so much on our plate that expansion isn't even on our radar right now. We're satisfied with 10 and that's where we'll be for the foreseeable future."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/revamped-big-east-brings-new-commissioner-article-1.1383461#ixzz2XcyyjJ00

I think that clearly sums it up. They have 10. They have so much to do and figure out that they will sit tight and garner some stability. Then, in time, if it seems to be lucrative and in the conference's best interest, they will entertain the idea of expansion.

All we have to do is win. If we just win, they will want to capitalize on our success. Just win, boys.

Agreed.

Article on te big east and how creighton got added.

http://m.omaha.com/om/pm_27428/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=BANjmIXD

Pretty obvious that this was a decision made by the presidents and creightons out worked ours.

I also found this part interesting which concurs with my belief that about a week before the official invites went out we also thought we had a good shot at an invite because we were in legal discussions with them.

Then on Feb. 27, during an annual Washington breakfast on Capitol Hill hosted by Jesuit universities, DeGioia pulled Lannon aside. Joe Lecesse, an attorney who's working with us, is going to call you, DeGioia said.

The call later that day was one of the most unusual Lannon had ever received.

"I want to be very clear with you about this conversation," Lannon recalled Lecesse saying. "It's not a conversation about you being invited to join the Big East." But if Lannon would sign a confidentiality agreement, Lecesse said, there were some things they could talk about.

Lannon signed the agreement the next day, and Lecesse called again. He then explained to Lannon the legal structure of the new league and its financial arrangements.

Lecesse said he would send Lannon a copy of the league's terms, again making it clear this was not a formal invitation. In fact, schools that ultimately weren't invited were having the same conversation with Lecesse.

Pretty obvious that this was a decision made by the presidents and creightons out worked ours.

I also found this part interesting which concurs with my belief that about a week before the official invites went out we also thought we had a good shot at an invite because we were in legal discussions with them.

Then on Feb. 27, during an annual Washington breakfast on Capitol Hill hosted by Jesuit universities, DeGioia pulled Lannon aside. Joe Lecesse, an attorney who's working with us, is going to call you, DeGioia said.

The call later that day was one of the most unusual Lannon had ever received.

"I want to be very clear with you about this conversation," Lannon recalled Lecesse saying. "It's not a conversation about you being invited to join the Big East." But if Lannon would sign a confidentiality agreement, Lecesse said, there were some things they could talk about.

Lannon signed the agreement the next day, and Lecesse called again. He then explained to Lannon the legal structure of the new league and its financial arrangements.

Lecesse said he would send Lannon a copy of the league's terms, again making it clear this was not a formal invitation. In fact, schools that ultimately weren't invited were having the same conversation with Lecesse.

Lannon did a great job for CU. Biondi screwed up. I guess my question is if the last sentence is true.

Lannon did a great job for CU. Biondi screwed up. I guess my question is if the last sentence is true.

I am no Biondi fan but and I am sure he could have done more (I think he understands the importance of sports but sees it for its business purposes rather than having a passion for sports), but let's be honest, Lannon being on Marquette's Board of Directors surely didn't hurt. Not sure if there is anyway to sell the program when they clearly had the inside track on that one.

I think it almost certainly is true and we were one of the schools. Seems like you agreed with me a couple months ago on this too.

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24265&page=2 (posts 30 and 31)

I think it almost certainly is true and we were one of the schools. Seems like you agreed with me a couple months ago on this too.

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24265&page=2 (posts 30 and 31)

If that's true, it makes all the uninvited schools look even worse.

Oh well, win what's put in front of you.

If that's true, it makes all the uninvited schools look even worse..

How so? Besides an incredibly small group of fans I doubt many have even figured it out.

To me, being on the list of schools that saw the contract details but didn't get the invite is a good sign. It means you are a very serious candidate and when they expand to 12 you are likely going to be one of the invites.

I'd be much more concerned if I heard there were other schools that saw the contract and didn't think that SLU was one of them.

How so? Besides an incredibly small group of fans I doubt many have even figured it out.

To me, being on the list of schools that saw the contract details but didn't get the invite is a good sign. It means you are a very serious candidate and when they expand to 12 you are likely going to be one of the invites.

I'd be much more concerned if I heard there were other schools that saw the contract and didn't think that SLU was one of them.

Bad PR to be in the "losers" bracket, but other than that, I think you may be reasonably on to something.

Your second scenario would be far worse.

I guess I just thought rejection was worse than non-consideration....so I fit my narrative to that (that SLU wasn't considered).

The one thing we now know for sure is that being in the A10 didn't help or hurt. SLU could have been in the MVC, A10, or Horizon and had the same odds.

This kind of timeline would make sense with the reports about awkward meetings in Brooklyn and UD and SLU being excluded from the tournament. Biondi and May apparently weren't very good closers. I sure hope those Asians were worth it.

The one thing we now know for sure is that being in the A10 didn't help or hurt. SLU could have been in the MVC, A10, or Horizon and had the same odds.

This kind of timeline would make sense with the reports about awkward meetings in Brooklyn and UD and SLU being excluded from the tournament. Biondi and May apparently weren't very good closers. I sure hope those Asians were worth it.

Your obsession with blaming May for this is odd. Did he run over your dog or something?

Almost everything in that article suggested it was the creighton president doing the lobbying and negotiating. The only thing the AD seemed to do was lie to Elgin about their chances of moving.

Here is the full story (rather than the mobile version), including a timeline:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130630/NEWS/706309914/1001#big-east-how-creighton-made-it-to-the-big-time

Following are some quotes I thought are significant.

And they needed to find at least three other schools to join them to provide enough games to feed the network.

That gives me hope that the new Ackerman's talk about finding 10 teams to be ideal is just as much of a smokescreen as other things earlier in the secret process.

Lannon and Rasmussen also discussed how Creighton should lobby for a position, eventually deciding on a low-key approach. Lannon made a round of calls to the Catholic 7 presidents just to make sure they were aware of Creighton's interest.

Considering how "low-key" worked, how can we really blame Fr. Biondi? Will we ever know what he did or didn't do?

Lannon was less familiar with other presidents. In fact, he was a little embarrassed to discover that the president of Seton Hall had a daughter who was a first-year medical student at Creighton. Shame on us for not knowing that, Lannon said. He checked to make sure she was doing OK.

Another example of how perfection wasn't necessary.