Athletic Scholarships Are A Privilege

I've come full circle on this, but I do have a disclaimer. If the SLU coaching staff doesn't make it clear to their recruits that their scholarships are just one-year commitments, then I would have a problem with it. Otherwise, I have no problem with not renewing Jared Drew's scholarship. I think this will be a learning experience for him about the competitive world that we live in. Academic scholarships are not four-year commitments as students must meet certain requirements to retain it. While not positive about this, I doubt that the Julliard, a highly selective school of the arts, would not rescind their scholarship to a dancer or musician that didn't meet the skill level required, even if they had all As in their classes.

We need to rid ourselves of this 'entitlement' attitude and realize that sometimes we can fall short of our goals, even if we work work hard, but don't quite have the talent to meet the needs of an organization. This is a good lesson for Jared Drew to learn when he gets out in the real world. Having said that, I'm hoping he lands on his feet and that he can have a very successful basketball career elsewhere.

Admittedly, I was critical of Majerus when he did this in the past and was critical of ex-Mizzou coach, Mike Anderson, when he also ran off a couple of players. However, that is no longer the case.

I doubt if any coaching staff makes it clear to recruits their scholarship is just a one year commitment. "We would like you to come here, but we are not so sure if you will be able to cut it. If you don't we will not renew your scholarship" is not much of a sales pitch. However, I think the recruits know they will be shown the door if it doesn't work out. By the time they get here they have been in around competitive sports enough to have seen some of their buddies cast aside when they could no longer keep up.

Played baseball for SLU and was on an athletic scholarship. I had no idea and probably neither did my parents that the scholarships were only for 1 year at a time. If the coaching staff could have found someone with a pulse who actually wanted to play for the team I am sure i would have been shown the door after my horrible sophmore season. Good thing they didn't, I would probably not be a message board moron today if that was the case.

I doubt if any coaching staff makes it clear to recruits their scholarship is just a one year commitment. "We would like you to come here, but we are not so sure if you will be able to cut it. If you don't we will not renew your scholarship" is not much of a sales pitch. However, I think the recruits know they will be shown the door if it doesn't work out. By the time they get here they have been in around competitive sports enough to have seen some of their buddies cast aside when they could no longer keep up.

In my hazy remembrance of 'Hoop Dreams', the high school coach had to remind Kevin O'Neill (then head coach of Marquette, I think) that it was not a four year scholarship, but 'renewable'. I have no idea how SLU communicates this fact, in the fine print of the of scholarship, or man to man, face to face.

Played baseball for SLU and was on an athletic scholarship. I had no idea and probably neither did my parents that the scholarships were only for 1 year at a time. If the coaching staff could have found someone with a pulse who actually wanted to play for the team I am sure i would have been shown the door after my horrible sophmore season. Good thing they didn't, I would probably not be a message board moron today if that was the case.

Neither you or your parents thought it would be a good idea to read what your were agreeing to?

I've never seen an athletic scholarship, but I'd bet it is clearly defined and not written in very small print on page 11

Neither you or your parents thought it would be a good idea to read what your were agreeing to?

I've never seen an athletic scholarship, but I'd bet it is clearly defined and not written in very small print on page 11

Nope. Just signed and sent it back.

In my opinion, you would have been a message board moron no matter what, some people are just destined to star at something.

Boom, winner. I suck at reading and writing.

It is my understanding that DirtyRican dictates his message board postings to Backhand since he is illiterate. He also has Backhand read each post on this board out loud to him.

I've come full circle on this, but I do have a disclaimer. If the SLU coaching staff doesn't make it clear to their recruits that their scholarships are just one-year commitments, then I would have a problem with it. Otherwise, I have no problem with not renewing Jared Drew's scholarship. I think this will be a learning experience for him about the competitive world that we live in. Academic scholarships are not four-year commitments as students must meet certain requirements to retain it. While not positive about this, I doubt that the Julliard, a highly selective school of the arts, would not rescind their scholarship to a dancer or musician that didn't meet the skill level required, even if they had all As in their classes.

This is an interesting way to look at it, though the "metric" for academics really doesn't change, while the dynamics of a team can affect whether or not a student athlete is desired from year-to-year.

Anyone who signs an athletic scholarship should know the terms. Janet and the rest of the compliance team do a good job. I had a partial athletic scholarship at SLU and it was clear that it was an annual deal. Doesn't make the Drew situation right or wrong, but if anyone has an athletic scholarship, they should know.

It is my understanding that DirtyRican dictates his message board postings to Backhand since he is illiterate. He also has Backhand read each post on this board out loud to him.

Sort of like the blind leading the blind. Is there such a thing as the 2 stooges?

It's kind of like if someone who couldn't see was showing the way to someone else who couldn't see.

Good for you. Bad for the baseball team.

Many of you over rate the value of athletic scholarships.

Some scholarship athletes regret their 4 year commitment, the time they spent working out, at practice, traveling, and playing in actual games.

It takes away from the whole college experience, social life, but more important it takes focus away from studies.

A lot of "athletes" that graduate did not give it their best in class, majored in the wrong subject, got so-so grades despite capability to excel and get "A"'s across the board in a meaningful major with future potential.

So they graduated at age 22, then work for 43 goddam years; some wish they had understood that college was for academics and for a 43 year career, being on the "team" for 4 years as your only focus was not worth it. Yes, I mean for those without money, too... get a student loan. I get the finance. Again, over 43 yrs, the scholie is not as important.

This is not absolute, not applicable to all, I am not saying that... sure you can recover, move up, make up for lost time... get a masters.... and basketball is a glorious sport to revel in... but still not always worth it. And most of the other sports are not in that category at all at SLU.

Here's why you don't rescind scholarships. The potential recruits and their friends/parents/coaches are watching very carefully how these situations workout.

Homer Drew would actually find a better situation for the student/athlete (obligatory Valpo comment) which he did because he cared. Will Crews find Jared Drew a better situation? We shall see.

Some scholarship athletes regret their 4 year commitment, the time they spent working out, at practice, traveling, and playing in actual games.

It takes away from the whole college experience, social life, but more important it takes focus away from studies.

A lot of "athletes" that graduate did not give it their best in class, majored in the wrong subject, got so-so grades despite capability to excel and get "A"'s across the board in a meaningful major with future potential.

So they graduated at age 22, then work for 43 goddam years; some wish they had understood that college was for academics and for a 43 year career, being on the "team" for 4 years as your only focus was not worth it. Yes, I mean for those without money, too... get a student loan. I get the finance. Again, over 43 yrs, the scholie is not as important.

This is not absolute, not applicable to all, I am not saying that... sure you can recover, move up, make up for lost time... get a masters.... and basketball is a glorious sport to revel in... but still not always worth it. And most of the other sports are not in that category at all at SLU.

They can always just say no.

Here's why you don't rescind scholarships. The potential recruits and their friends/parents/coaches are watching very carefully how these situations workout.

Homer Drew would actually find a better situation for the student/athlete (obligatory Valpo comment) which he did because he cared. Will Crews find Jared Drew a better situation? We shall see.

Yeah well Homer Drew is one of the most genuine, nicest individuals there is. I've been to probably 10 Valpo games over the years(brother went there)...there situation is different from SLU. Crappier league, terrible facilities(seriously, the ARC is bad), disgusting colors, and terrible weather. SLU has more to offer.

And after 4 years they still have Zero Debt. And they are 22. The world is their oyster.

Well that isn't hard for Drew. Every situation is a better situation than Valpo. If Drew really cared about the kids, he would have never let any of them sign with Valpo.

Yeah well Homer Drew is one of the most genuine, nicest individuals there is. I've been to probably 10 Valpo games over the years(brother went there)...there situation is different from SLU. Crappier league, terrible facilities(seriously, the ARC is bad), disgusting colors, and terrible weather. SLU has more to offer.

So SLU has the ability to out recruit their competition and throw away guys like Jared Drew. Congrats, SLU has reached the Calipari, Pitino scum status. If that is the way you want to achieve your goals then have at it. Not even Stevens at Butler has achieved that way.