Next in line for the A-10

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We're going to be so good the next few years that we won't have to be worring about a few places in the RPI rankings. Besides we will be in the NBE in 2014. With the quality of recruits Crews et al are signing/in on for next year already, I wonder if they don't already know and hint to recruits that the NBE is in the immediate future.

Considering the conference they have been playing in Davidson for the most part actually has pretty good RPI numbers:

2013 - 61

2012 - 64

2011 - 182

2010 - 179

2009 - 69

2008 - 23

2007- 49

2006 - 95

2005 - 51

2004 - 120

I still think the additions of George Mason and Davidson is a sign the A10 doesn't expect us to stick around much longer.

Davidson is actually not a bad addition.

Davidson previous 7 years of kenpom rankings: Mean of 90

2013: 60

2012: 67

2011:147

2010: 194

2009: 67

2008: 20

2007: 74

For comparison (Since I know tons of people will argue that 90 is bad)

SLU previous 7 years of kenpom rankings: Mean of 95

2013: 18

2012: 14

2011:122

2010: 94

2009: 144

2008: 144

2007: 129

Considering the conference they have been playing in Davidson for the most part actually has pretty good RPI numbers:

2013 - 61

2012 - 64

2011 - 182

2010 - 179

2009 - 69

2008 - 23

2007- 49

2006 - 95

2005 - 51

2004 - 120

I still think the additions of George Mason and Davidson is a sign the A10 doesn't expect us to stick around much longer.

Very much agree in regards to your last point. If the A-10 was at all concerned about keeping SLU happy they would have looked to the midwest to expand. By adding two more East Coast schools the conference is admitting that SLU is as good as gone in my opinion

2013 - 61

2012 - 64

2011 - 182

2010 - 179

2009 - 69

2008 - 23

2007- 49

2006 - 95

2005 - 51

2004 - 120

I like the way you think ;)

Very much agree in regards to your last point. If the A-10 was at all concerned about keeping SLU happy they would have looked to the midwest to expand. By adding two more East Coast schools the conference is admitting that SLU is as good as gone in my opinion

To add to that, I think it shows that the A-10 figures both SLU and Dayton are gone to the NBE.

Davidson was about the best option for the A-10. I'm not a fan of George Mason at all, but hopefully, that's somebody else's problem.

The biggest problem with GM is that the coach that made it happen for them is now at Miami (replacing Haith-quite a step up for Miami).

Davidson was a good pickup. They basically replace Charlotte and bring a much stronger academic profile than the Niners. I would think by not looking in the Midwest, eg Valpo, Detroit, Loyola, etc, the A-10 is signaling UD and SLU are bye bye. I would expect an announcement in the month of July, so then the A-10 can eliminate us from the conference tourney. Feel bad our seniors won't get to compete in the NBE.

Where are schools like St Bona, St Joe's, LaSalle, etc.. going to go? Even with UD & SLU leaving its still far better then the NEC or MAAC. The only one's I can also see leaving are Umass & VCU and that's because of football.

Let's not start knocking the A10 till we are out the door. I think its been a pretty good conference and up to now served us well.

Davidson was a good pickup. They basically replace Charlotte and bring a much stronger academic profile than the Niners. I would think by not looking in the Midwest, eg Valpo, Detroit, Loyola, etc, the A-10 is signaling UD and SLU are bye bye. I would expect an announcement in the month of July, so then the A-10 can eliminate us from the conference tourney. Feel bad our seniors won't get to compete in the NBE.

I really don't think the A-10 is going to pull a Colonial. They had a shot with Temple/Charlotte last year and let them keep playing. You're right, it has served the Billikens purpose. Seniors have a big fish to fry this year. 3 straight tournaments is great for reversing the perception that SLU doesn't bring enough to a new league.

Larry, Davidson kind reminds me of College of Charleston. When Kresse coached CofC, they were the darlings of the lower mid-majors. Get in the tourney and knock off a big boy. McKillop, the coach Davidson, is similar. This year's tourney he only lost to Marquette by 1. Problem, like Kresse, he been coaching at the same place a long time, what happens when he leaves?

Also, personally they are very similar. Both are from Long Island and both like that less pressured Carolina lifestyle over the headaches of a BCS school which both have been offered many times.

I really don't think the A-10 is going to pull a Colonial. They had a shot with Temple/Charlotte last year and let them keep playing. You're right, it has served the Billikens purpose. Seniors have a big fish to fry this year. 3 straight tournaments is great for reversing the perception that SLU doesn't bring enough to a new league.

If SLU is ranked, they are going want them in the Barclay Ctr, Projecting a SLU vs VCU final, that would be a marquee game both for both attendance and TV ratings. Also, if UD can get half way decent, they have a pretty good road following for the tourney.

If SLU is ranked, they are going want them in the Barclay Ctr, Projecting a SLU vs VCU final, that would be a marquee game both for both attendance and TV ratings. Also, if UD can get half way decent, they have a pretty good road following for the tourney.

Yeah, the UMass rumor of tournament bans I think has been more or less shot down by now. I don't know the history, but the Temple/Charlotte argument suggests that any team that starts the year at the A-10 will have a chance to play for the title.

I think SLU has been and may still be on the bubble with the NBE, but all of the recent developments (since Dec 31) are lining up very favorably including the recent resolution around Biondi (I just hope and pray that the war drums are now silent and no one takes the opportunity to stir up more trouble - that would absolutely not help our chances).

The A10 is almost definitely going to lose at least one or two teams to the NBE - they HAVE to do something. Plus, they know that Temple and Charlotte are gone. So, while the addition of GM and Davidson certainly don't suggest we are not going to the NBE, I don't think that it definitely mean we are going either.

All that said, if I was betting, I would still bet on SLU being in the NBE by 2014, and, as has been pointed out, there is at LEAST a 50/50 chance we get into the NBE anyway...

I think SLU has been and may still be on the bubble with the NBE, but all of the recent developments (since Dec 31) are lining up very favorably including the recent resolution around Biondi (I just hope and pray that the war drums are now silent and no one takes the opportunity to stir up more trouble - that would absolutely not help our chances).

The A10 is almost definitely going to lose at least one or two teams to the NBE - they HAVE to do something. Plus, they know that Temple and Charlotte are gone. So, while the addition of GM and Davidson certainly don't suggest we are not going to the NBE, I don't think that it definitely mean we are going either.

All that said, if I was betting, I would still bet on SLU being in the NBE by 2014, and, as has been pointed out, there is at LEAST a 50/50 chance we get into the NBE anyway...

I'll be stunned if we're not one of the next two chosen. While I hate the phrase "no brainer", we seem to be the school that just makes the most sense given the NBE's current makeup. Geography, TV market, recent success, facilities, academics, etc. UD's proximity to X is almost like bringing in St. Joes to share the market w/ Nova. The same thing might be said about GU and Richmond. Both UD and Richmond have small TV markets. I'm also guessing VCU doesn't fit the private school profile, so they're out. We've been all over this many times, so the point of this post is it will be a complete mystery if SLU doesn't make the final cut.

The thing that scares me about the NBE are the recent comments. "We're going to 12 teams, just a matter of when." Good! "We're open to the idea of going coast-to-coast." Bad!

I don't want the likes of Gonzaga getting in the mix. If it's us, Dayton, Richmond, maybe a couple others in the pool right now, I feel a lot better. If they make it nationwide, we could be screwed.

The thing that scares me about the NBE are the recent comments. "We're going to 12 teams, just a matter of when." Good! "We're open to the idea of going coast-to-coast." Bad!

I don't want the likes of Gonzaga getting in the mix. If it's us, Dayton, Richmond, maybe a couple others in the pool right now, I feel a lot better. If they make it nationwide, we could be screwed.

If they go coast to coast, they will go to 18, with six teams out west, and 3 divisions. Can't go coast to coast with less than 6 teams out west. The travel would be too expensive otherwise for all sports including basketball. I actually think the talk of going coast to coast helps our cause. It makes it clear that TV markets are driving the bus. The coast to coast talk should scare the hell out of Dayton.

If it's coast to coast I think we should breathe a whole lot easier. Why would you leave out the biigest market right in the middle of the country? Plus, you just can't add Zaga and St.Mary's. The travel costs for the non revenues would be staggering. Thhink about the costs of taking baseball and softball teams out for a west coast swing. You ain't going to Wash by bus if your X, DePaul, or MU. The only way I'd see them going coast to coast would be by adding 6 WC teams.