Guard for final scholie

Didn't want to spoil the marathon recruiting post, but there does seem to be a plethora of guards left on the board. I know we all want RO, the kid from Nova, Santili, of Straw's kid. But that transfer list seems to keep growing. Based on what the staff's done to date, I expect we'll get a pleasant surprise here. Question is, do we need one this year (RO, JS, Santilii), or would you rather see one of those talented transfers get it?

I think a quality transfer guard would make a lot of sense. The Nova transfer is the highest rated playe we are going after. Coming out of high school he was the New York Player of the Year and was offered by a bunch of Big East schools. And now, his other offers are Pitt and GaTech. Adding a big guard like him to pair up with McBroom for two years would seem to work well. He would be in McBroom's class, where we currently only have one player. Plus, are only juniors and seniors after this year would be GG, JM & AB, so adding another experienced player would be helpful for 2014-15. I would be fine with Randy, but I think the Nova transfer is a more highly regarded player. If not the Nova transfer then I would continue to explore the transfer market. Bottom line, Randy would be my plan B.

I think a quality transfer guard would make a lot of sense. The Nova transfer is the highest rated playe we are going after. Coming out of high school he was the New York Player of the Year and was offered by a bunch of Big East schools. And now, his other offers are Pitt and GaTech. Adding a big guard like him to pair up with McBroom for two years would seem to work well. He would be in McBroom's class, where we currently only have one player. Plus, are only juniors and seniors after this year would be GG, JM & AB, so adding another experienced player would be helpful for 2014-15. I would be fine with Randy, but I think the Nova transfer is a more highly regarded player. If not the Nova transfer then I would continue to explore the transfer market. Bottom line, Randy would be my plan B.

+1. Let's get Achraf.

I think people may underestimate Paul Jesperson from UVA. Living in Virginia, I saw many of his games and he is a good player. Yes he didn't score much, but UVA never scored much and he always played opposite of Joe Harris who took 15-20 shots a game. He's 6'6" and defends really well. I would look at him. The comparison to Salecich was ridiculous. The only Bill who shot 37% from three was McCall. We need lengthy guards to play opposite of 5'9" McBroom who can defend and shoot.

Skip, brings back the old grab your nuts move. On Jepperson, don't we have that covered w/MC?

What comparison do you see between Crawford and jesperson, other than that they are both white? Crawford is known as a big time scorer, mostly from slashing and mid range shots. Jesperson didn't score much but was a nice 3 point shooter.

I saw that yacoubou was down to 3 schools and we were the only one he had visited. It seems GT may be the team to beat with us in 2nd and Pitt is out of it. May be a toss up though on us and GT, would love to see us win this one.

I think people may underestimate Paul Jesperson from UVA. Living in Virginia, I saw many of his games and he is a good player. Yes he didn't score much, but UVA never scored much and he always played opposite of Joe Harris who took 15-20 shots a game. He's 6'6" and defends really well. I would look at him. The comparison to Salecich was ridiculous. The only Bill who shot 37% from three was McCall. We need lengthy guards to play opposite of 5'9" McBroom who can defend and shoot.

The comparison was not ridiculous. I was comparing shooting percentages and both their percentages were too low.

+1. Let's get Achraf.

I saw Nova a few times last season, but I wanted to take a look at their roster stats and see why this kid may have gotten lost in the shuffle. They had the freshman sharpshooter come in and start. They also started two other guards, a sophomore and junior. Plus, they added a 4th guard, a transfer from Wake Forest who got some minutes off the bench. BTW, that kid from Wake is also transferring, after just one year at Nova, so minutes were apparently very hard to come by for good guards. Also, Wright played his five starters a LOT, so there were not a lot of minutes for the bench.

Looking at Yacoubou's game line, he was getting good minutes in the middle of the season. He had some nice games including a good one against St. Joe's and Syracuse. He hit a big three-pointer in a win over Louisville. Late in the season, his minutes really got cut as it appears Wright shortened the bench even further.

This looks like a talented kid who got caught in a numbers game and just needs a fresh start. He would bring a lot of experience playing against good competition. He has a good 3-point shooting percentage and his rebounding numbers are tremendous in limited minutes. Go get Yacoubou!

Salecich shot 27% and 24% his two years. Jesperson shot 37% last year in the ACC....that would be second on this year's team behind McCall. Yacoubou shot 39%.

I just think we need lenghty, athletic guards and Jesperson fits that mold. I'd take a transfer with experience.

What comparison do you see between Crawford and jesperson, other than that they are both white? Crawford is known as a big time scorer, mostly from slashing and mid range shots. Jesperson didn't score much but was a nice 3 point shooter.

Well, Kshoe, first I asked a question. I didn't say they were the same deal. What I was looking for was some of the experts, which I consider you to be, if they weren't the same type of player. I based that on their size, the fact that I thought MC had a good 3 point shot, but never considered race a part of the comparison.

My real point was, I'd rather see us land a PG than another 2 or a 3 at this point, which I figure Jesperson is. In fact, I'd see us w/ 4 similar players if we signed him, ie DE, MC, JD, and Jesperson. Do we need that many 2s and 3s when you consider we don't have a PG on the roster other than MM and possibly McBroom or JJ?

Well, Kshoe, first I asked a question. I didn't say they were the same deal. What I was looking for was some of the experts, which I consider you to be, if they weren't the same type of player. I based that on their size, the fact that I thought MC had a good 3 point shot, but never considered race a part of the comparison.

My real point was, I'd rather see us land a PG than another 2 or a 3 at this point, which I figure Jesperson is. In fact, I'd see us w/ 4 similar players if we signed him, ie DE, MC, JD, and Jesperson. Do we need that many 2s and 3s when you consider we don't have a PG on the roster other than MM and possibly McBroom or JJ?

JJ "possibly" being a PG is an insult. his only possible deficiencies as a PG are his ball-handling and his three point shot. he was the best passer on the team last year. and we all know he can get to the rack and defend. he's more of a PG than MM, honestly. that's no knock on MM either. i'm completely comfortable with either of them at PG for us. JJ against VCU's HAVOCKZXZK can be an issue, but that's the case for damn near everyone.

JJ "possibly" being a PG is an insult. his only possible deficiencies as a PG are his ball-handling and his three point shot. he was the best passer on the team last year. and we all know he can get to the rack and defend. he's more of a PG than MM, honestly. that's no knock on MM either. i'm completely comfortable with either of them at PG for us. JJ against VCU's HAVOCKZXZK can be an issue, but that's the case for damn near everyone.

+1 jett has won me over bigtime over his billiken career. imo he is at the very least our second best player, and if you get extra points for defense hustle and athleticism, jett wins. his ball handling is acceptable and i dont care if he ever makes a three (however he has the 1963 jerry west set shot done for the long three). so dont leave him open. i say his really only glaring weakness is shooting free throws. as a guard, he needs to be at or at least very near 80% and that surely isnt the case.

at the point guard spot, we are good with mccall and jett for next year. now past that, yes that is a need.

JJ is the best passer on the team. Great court vision and his ballhandling is a lot better than it used to be. I actually think it was better than KM's for much of the season. Sometimes he gets into trouble trying to do too much driving to the lane, but that is a small price to pay for all of the spectacular drives and finishes he is able to pull off. MM, JJ and AM can all play point guard, and as with most of RM's guards, they are all interchangeable between the 1 and 2.

To be honest, whenever JJ and MM play on the floor at the same time, JJ is usually the one running the point and MM is the 2 guard. JJ also led the team in assists per game last season despite playing less minutes per game than MM or Kwamain. No doubt, JJ is a true PG.

To be honest, whenever JJ and MM play on the floor at the same time, JJ is usually the one running the point and MM is the 2 guard. JJ also led the team in assists per game last season despite playing less minutes per game than MM or Kwamain. No doubt, JJ is a true PG.

+1

If Jordair Jett isn't a point guard, that position just got real restrictive.

Gregory will see the Billiken and fold.

That Brian Gregory offense is awesome. It basically consists of dribbling from side to side with no purpose and then running the shot clock down before chucking up a bad shot.

JJ is a 4, just ask skip.

Come on now. You know that the rules of skip say if you aren't 6'8" tall you must be quick enough to play the 3. If you're 6'7" and 250 or bigger with less than 10% body fat you're also ok at the 4. 6'6" and you better get with the agility drills. Undersized is a word that needs to go away.

I called JJ a pg 2 years ago noting he had the best vision and the right mentality. MM tends to lose his offensive agression when he plays the point. JJ makes his agression work for the point.