Crews Control - I'm on Board

ACE

Now that the needless PR debacle is over, time to look ahead. I first heard RM talk up Jim Crews during a radio interview, saying that he was one of the best basketball minds he knew. He even mentioned if he had an opening on his staff, he would offer him a spot. Sure enough, a short time later, Moser bolted. Reportedly RM offered Crews the job at that time and he turned it down. It wound up going to Whitesell. Then, after Jensen leaves, RM tries again and lands him. Remember at the time, quite a few people didn't even want him as an assistant? Wow, they look silly now.

I thought Crews was an ideal candidate as the interim coach, but wasn't sold on him as the permanent replacement. I thought by now we might know for certain we were heading to the Big East and have the possibility of landing a big-name coach. I still would have been fine landing a Tubby or Ben Howland, if nothing else it would have shown a serious level of commitment to the program. However, realistically it seems like after RM, Biondi was no longer keen on having a big-name coach with lots of demands, so Crews really is our best option. I would much rather take an experienced guy with head coaching experience over some unproven hotshot. I have no interest in the flavor of the month - mini-Pittino or the guy from Gulf Coast (although his wife would've been a great addition).

Here are the things to like about Crews - continuity. The returning players did well for him and he can continue to run RM's system while putting his own stamp on it. Also, say what you will about him, but Bobby Knight was a great coach. Crews has learned from two of the best. The level of consistency the team performed at following the horrible URI game was truly impressive.

Looking at Crews' bio, he had some success at Evansville, which if you have ever been to that town, that is not an easy place to win at. The place is a sh!thole. It may have been a case of Crews just staying in a place too long. Seems like he could have made a leap to a bigger job at some point.

We have done well when we have had older, wiser coaches (Spoon, RM), not so much with relatively inexperienced guys (Sodie, Romar). It seems like there is a lot of good stuff going on with recruiting, not just this spring, but with local prospects for next year. Hopefully there can be some continuity on the staff. I like the idea of Bronson continuing to develop and Whitesell seems like an under-rated recruiter - keeps our foot in the door in Chicago.

Needless to say this is a pivotal point in the history of the program. Can we continue to build on what RM started and follow his blueprint on how to truly build a program that has sustained success? The administration needs to truly back Crews in put him in a position to succeed.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that the needless PR debacle is over, time to look ahead. I first heard RM talk up Jim Crews during a radio interview, saying that he was one of the best basketball minds he knew. He even mentioned if he had an opening on his staff, he would offer him a spot. Sure enough, a short time later, Moser bolted. Reportedly RM offered Crews the job at that time and he turned it down. It wound up going to Whitesell. Then, after Jensen leaves, RM tries again and lands him. Remember at the time, quite a few people didn't even want him as an assistant? Wow, they look silly now.

I thought Crews was an ideal candidate as the interim coach, but wasn't sold on him as the permanent replacement. I thought by now we might know for certain we were heading to the Big East and have the possibility of landing a big-name coach. I still would have been fine landing a Tubby or Ben Howland, if nothing else it would have shown a serious level of commitment to the program. However, realistically it seems like after RM, Biondi was no longer keen on having a big-name coach with lots of demands, so Crews really is our best option. I would much rather take an experienced guy with head coaching experience over some unproven hotshot. I have no interest in the flavor of the month - mini-Pittino or the guy from Gulf Coast (although his wife would've been a great addition).

Here are the things to like about Crews - continuity. The returning players did well for him and he can continue to run RM's system while putting his own stamp on it. Also, say what you will about him, but Bobby Knight was a great coach. Crews has learned from two of the best. The level of consistency the team performed at following the horrible URI game was truly impressive.

Looking at Crews' bio, he had some success at Evansville, which if you have ever been to that town, that is not an easy place to win at. The place is a sh!thole. It may have been a case of Crews just staying in a place too long. Seems like he could have made a leap to a bigger job at some point.

We have done well when we have had older, wiser coaches (Spoon, RM), not so much with relatively inexperienced guys (Sodie, Romar). It seems like there is a lot of good stuff going on with recruiting, not just this spring, but with local prospects for next year. Hopefully there can be some continuity on the staff. I like the idea of Bronson continuing to develop and Whitesell seems like an under-rated recruiter - keeps our foot in the door in Chicago.

Needless to say this is a pivotal point in the history of the program. Can we continue to build on what RM started and follow his blueprint on how to truly build a program that has sustained success? The administration needs to truly back Crews in put him in a position to succeed.

We agree - they must be ice skating in hell. :ph34r:

We agree - they must be ice skating in hell. :ph34r:

Stick with me kid, I'm usually on the right side of history. ;) I'm not giddy like I was when we hired RM, but I think there are a lot of positives. RM left the program in MUCH better shape than the one he inherited. My biggest concern is will the administration (Biondi) support Crews. At the very least, get out of his way. Even Spoon got tired of some of the petty BS. I hope Doc Chaifetz stays engaged and can throw his weight around. This program has come too far. Now is not the time to take a step back.

I don't really understand why people want Tubby. Ive never been impressed....

I'm very excited to watch our team next year. I am extremely horrified of what kind of team we will likely have within 2-3 years, once RM's team graduates. Better enjoy it while we can!

Be sure you tell Crawford, Agbeko, Drew, McBroom, and Grandy that.

From the press release:

"Perhaps what Crews is best known for is his ability to graduate players. During his tenure at Evansville, 52 of the 53 players who spent four years with the Purple Aces earned a degree. Every senior in Crews’ final 12 years graduated. At Army, he graduated all 30 four-year players who came through his program."

Thats pretty cool

From the press release:

"Perhaps what Crews is best known for is his ability to graduate players. During his tenure at Evansville, 52 of the 53 players who spent four years with the Purple Aces earned a degree. Every senior in Crews’ final 12 years graduated. At Army, he graduated all 30 four-year players who came through his program."

Thats pretty cool

He's got Bob Huggins beat...by 82 or so.

From the press release:

"Perhaps what Crews is best known for is his ability to graduate players. During his tenure at Evansville, 52 of the 53 players who spent four years with the Purple Aces earned a degree. Every senior in Crews final 12 years graduated. At Army, he graduated all 30 four-year players who came through his program."

Thats pretty cool

Does one have the option of not graduating at Army? (Serious question)

Are those the guys that'll still be around? I feel badly for them. If I see them at Humphreys within the next couple years, you can be sure I'll extend my condolences and buy them a drink.

Just stop it. This team is fine. Recruiting is going well by all accounts. More success next year will lead to more success on the recruiting trail.

I remember people saying we were screwed when the Kwam/Willie class graduated.

Are those the guys that'll still be around? I feel badly for them. If I see them at Humphreys within the next couple years, you can be sure I'll extend my condolences and buy them a drink.

Serious question - How old are you?

Wow! If you are really 69 and this pessimistic and cynical, you sincerely have my condolences. Most people grow out of that with life experiences and perspective. I really hope you are still young, because to be 69 with your attitude...

Is Billiken Law actually Metz?