Msaon Pays $1 Million CAA Exit Fee

Taj79

It sounds like someone is expecting to get even smaller soon:

Adding George Mason puts the A-10 at 13 schools for next season, "which, quite frankly, is still quite a large conference," said A-10 Commissioner Bernadette McGlade.

"The numbers of institutions is not necessarily the be-all and end-all," McGlade said. "It's what institutions make up the Atlantic 10."

It sounds like someone is expecting to get even smaller soon:

And here is replacement #2 to bring the number up to 14, for now...

"@CDiSano44: Hearing from sources that Siena is scheduling a press conference for this Weds. Rumored target of #A10. Timing pretty coincidental."

I have heard the same about Siena and if true there can be little doubt that McGlade is in possession of the knowledge that UD and SLU are not long for the A-10. Otherwise, she would be foolish to "disenfranchise" two of the most prominent programs in the conference by losing two Midwest programs in X and Butler and replacing them with GMU and Siena. It sounds like the A-10 is retreating to the eastern seaboard

another Eastern team.....hmmm

Makes you wonder doesn't it. Either the A10 knows we are gone soon, thinks we will be leaving soon, or less likely wants us to leave. Otherwise why add Siena of all teams over a bunch of midwest schools?

If they do add Seina the two new A10 additions will have had these RPI's last year:

162 - George Mason

295 - Siena (Worse than Fordham)

No way SLU is staying in the A10 long term with these additions. So that leaves one of two things:

90% that we are in the Big East.

10% that we go to plan Oh Fuok.

It would be nice to know something before signing day / hiring a new coach. But I will settle for June 30th.

No way SLU is staying in the A10 long term with these additions. So that leaves one of two things:

90% that we are in the Big East.

10% that we go to plan Oh Fuok.

It would be nice to know something before signing day / hiring a new coach. But I will settle for June 30th.

What would the 10% plan entail? Or do we want to know?

Be positive, be patient (easy for yours truly to say, akin to do as I say, not as I do).

But this has to be positive news for SLU. It has to be.

My opinion is there is no way that SLU would be long term in a conference with Siena. Note that since the A10 offices moved from Philadelphia to Newport News, Virginia, that VCU was added last year and George Mason was just added this year.

Note Bernie's column Saturday at stltoday.com that the Xavier President was at the SLU game Thursday in San Jose, and was expected at Saturday's game. Read the tea leaves.

Keep Calm & Carry On.

The Siena news should help to calm down those who thought all was lost because the NBE didn't acknowledge future expansion in their press conference announcing the new league and the addition of Butler, X and Creighton. It seems to me that the A10 knows that SLU and Dayton are gone and are shoring up best-possible replacements to keep the league both relevant and more eastern based.

The Siena news should help to calm down those who thought all was lost because the NBE didn't acknowledge future expansion in their press conference announcing the new league and the addition of Butler, X and Creighton. It seems to me that the A10 knows that SLU and Dayton are gone and are shoring up best-possible replacements to keep the league both relevant and more eastern based.

I'm a cynic, and I think this is right. They're punting on going west with SLU and Dayton leaving.

+1

As the A10 should. Still good talent and quality of play in the A10. The distance is what makes the A10 so tough for SLU -- but the like-minded schools: private, Catholic, good academic, urban schools is the not the problem.

Could be true. But just curious why people don't view the addition of two schools as simply replacement for the four that are leaving this year, rather than a sign that preparations are being made for SLU's departure. Because of the Commish comments saying it's still a large conference? Because both schools are on the East Coast?

you might very well be right BUT would it not make sense for the a-10 to try and appease UD and SLU at least a little? The conference lost two Midwest schools as well and if you look at the locations of the current a-10 schools on a map SLU is definitely on an island.

I think the writing is on the wall for SLU in the A-10

I mean, two east coast schools are leaving (Temple, Charlotte) and two are added to replace them (Siena, GMU).

I think every AD & College President knows that SLU & Dayton could be gone in one year so why would any midwestern university even think about going to the A10? Belmont, Wichita State, Bradley, Loyola Chicago, etc--no way do they move to the A10 right now and then become the island a year later. A10 needed to add schools and only eastern schools would listen--not surprising.

you might very well be right BUT would it not make sense for the a-10 to try and appease UD and SLU at least a little? The conference lost two Midwest schools as well and if you look at the locations of the current a-10 schools on a map SLU is definitely on an island.

I think the writing is on the wall for SLU in the A-10

I think SLU certainly needs to go to NBE if invited, and count me amongst those who believe that likely to happen. I just don't see these two new A10 additions as having much to do with that. GMU has been rumored for a long time and may have been the best available basketball program. And four schools leaving this year needed to be replaced, or at least offset. Otherwise you've got a bunch of A10 schools scrambling to fill four additional spots on their schedule.

Siena? Meh. Could a Midwest school have been invited? I guess. But why would they accept the invite even if there was a 50% chance of SLU and UD leaving in the next few years? They could wind up the only Midwestern school in an eastern conference. In other words, whether SLU and UD actually have a commitment from NBE, the uncertainty and speculation likely would scare away from the A10 any invited Midwest school.

I think every AD & College President knows that SLU & Dayton could be gone in one year so why would any midwestern university even think about going to the A10? Belmont, Wichita State, Bradley, Loyola Chicago, etc--no way do they move to the A10 right now and then become the island a year later. A10 needed to add schools and only eastern schools would listen--not surprising.

Beat me to it.

Following all the press conferences etc. what is the speculationon the likely time and likelihood of 2 more schools being added.

Summer 2014?