It's time to bring back chartered flights and hire the best possible recruiter/head coach/etc.

SLU has had two years of fantastic success, and with the current setup, figure to have one or so more. Based on actions we take this offseason, it can be one of two things: a foundation upon which to build for years to come, or a flash in the pan.

If SLU wants to up its game and give the new Big East a reason to expand to 12 (and invite us), then we need to show certain basic entry-level commitments that high-level basketball programs make, like chartered flights.

We also need to do insane diligence and break the bank open to hire the best possible head coach candidate and/or recruiters available. No one is filling Rick Majerus's shoes, but we need to start thinking about this seriously. Believe me, I love Jim Crews. But he's been a head coach. I don't think it's off-base to guess at what his ceiling is realistically when it comes to building and sustaining a team's success over a period of years based on past performance. This isn't his team he's coaching. It's Rick's. And in a couple of years, the last vestiges of Rick's team will be gone, and there is simply no evidence to suggest that Crews's will be anywhere nearly as good. Recruiting will be especially difficult now that we're in a substantially depowered conference. No Temple, no Xavier, no Butler. We just lost three teams that figured to be perennial NCAA bids. We need to dig in hard.

If we want to join the best, we need to make a commitment to try to be the best. I have every confidence that SLU can pull it off, but I don't have confidence in Biondi to play ball (see what I did there?) since I'm guessing he's the one who axed chartered flights in the first place, so I hope I'm wrong there.

If not, we need to say hello to another long decade or two of mediocre mid-major hell and embarrassing 4,000-6,000 nightly attendance at the shiny, otherwise-excellent Chaifetz Arena.

It's time for our school to step up.

P.S. I sincerely hope the A-10 goes aggressively after schools like George Mason, Davidson, and Wichita State.

SLU has had two years of fantastic success, and with the current setup, figure to have one or so more. Based on actions we take this offseason, it can be one of two things: a foundation upon which to build for years to come, or a flash in the pan.

If SLU wants to up its game and give the new Big East a reason to expand to 12 (and invite us), then we need to show certain basic entry-level commitments that high-level basketball programs make, like chartered flights.

We also need to do insane diligence and break the bank open to hire the best possible head coach candidate and/or recruiters available. No one is filling Rick Majerus's shoes, but we need to start thinking about this seriously. Believe me, I love Jim Crews. But he's been a head coach. I don't think it's off-base to guess at what his ceiling is realistically when it comes to building and sustaining a team's success over a period of years based on past performance. This isn't his team he's coaching. It's Rick's. And in a couple of years, the last vestiges of Rick's team will be gone, and there is simply no evidence to suggest that Crews's will be anywhere nearly as good. Recruiting will be especially difficult now that we're in a substantially depowered conference. No Temple, no Xavier, no Butler. We just lost three teams that figured to be perennial NCAA bids. We need to dig in hard.

If we want to join the best, we need to make a commitment to try to be the best. I have every confidence that SLU can pull it off, but I don't have confidence in Biondi to play ball (see what I did there?) since I'm guessing he's the one who axed chartered flights in the first place, so I hope I'm wrong there.

If not, we need to say hello to another long decade or two of mediocre mid-major hell and embarrassing 4,000-6,000 nightly attendance at the shiny, otherwise-excellent Chaifetz Arena.

Unfortunately, IMO the time to step up was selling our school the the C7 and Fox Sports. The administration failed us.

P.S. I sincerely hope the A-10 goes aggressively after schools like George Mason, Davidson, and Wichita State.

You do realize that most of our conference away games were charter flights this year don't you?

Conference realignment, 4 seed in NCAA tournament, A-10 championship, best season in recent history, recruiting, media love, MU vs. SLU, Obama picks SLU to the Sweet 16........yep, we should talk about chartered flights. :rolleyes:

Conference realignment, 4 seed in NCAA tournament, A-10 championship, best season in recent history, recruiting, media love, MU vs. SLU, Obama picks SLU to the Sweet 16........yep, we should talk about chartered flights. :rolleyes:

It's not like it's impossible to enjoy what's going on, and also be concerned for the success of our team in 2 years, 5 years, 10 years, etc. Sorry for caring about the future of this program, bro.

I'm going to resist a very strong desire to really bust you down to size, but I can and will use at least one minor epithet and say this:

I'm really getting tired of blowhards coming on here and saying disrespectful things about Coach Crews. I really really hope he wants to stay.

After all the awards and hoopla and national attention: we STILL have to listen to this claptrap?? You STILL want to can him and find someone else?? Will this continue, even if we make the sweet 16??

absolutely annoying and mindless drivel; congratulations I thought we had left that stuff behind.... evidently not yet.

I am tired of hearing about the Catholic Coference. We aren't going to be in this year, so lets win the a-10 again next year and see if we can' built us a better non-conference schedule because of our success. Fuock them all. Who knows, we may be better off in the long run. Who gives a about Creighton.

I'm going to resist a very strong desire to really bust you down to size, but I can and will use at least one minor epithet and say this:

I'm really getting tired of blowhards coming on here and saying disrespectful things about Coach Crews. I really really hope he wants to stay.

After all the awards and hoopla and national attention: we STILL have to listen to this claptrap?? You STILL want to can him and find someone else?? Will this continue, even if we make the sweet 16??

absolutely annoying and mindless drivel; congratulations I thought we had left that stuff behind.... evidently not yet.

Again, I enjoy and will continue to enjoy the success Coach Crews is having with Majerus's team for as far as it goes. Just concerned about what happens once "Coach"'s team has all graduated, is all. No need to take anything personally.

Article here regarding SLU coaching position:

http://www.stlsportsminute.com/2013/03/saint-louis-billikens-slu-should-pursue.html

Anyone like the idea of Amaker if Crews turns it down?

Article here regarding SLU coaching position:

http://www.stlsportsminute.com/2013/03/saint-louis-billikens-slu-should-pursue.html

Anyone like the idea of Amaker if Crews turns it down?

Maybe. Both Amaker and Majerus love a good mock turtleneck. But we all know the situation at Harvard - no athletic scholies in the Ivy League, so he's gotta recruit academic and athletic all-stars who can cut it in Cambridge. Alliteration aside, Amaker is far removed from recruiting the big guns he did at Michigan and Seton Hall for him to be an attractive pick, IMO.

Majerus didn't build this team by landing top recruits he built it by landing the right players for this system. That is how you will succeed at SLU in the future. You won't sustain a winning program if you think the way is hiring some big time recruiter as head coach that will out recruit the big schools at SLU. He will fail and so will the program.

Majerus didn't build this team by landing top recruits he built it by landing the right players for this system. That is how you will succeed at SLU in the future. You won't sustain a winning program if you think the way is hiring some big time recruiter as head coach that will out recruit the big schools at SLU. He will fail and so will the program.

Can't say I'm entirely buying what you're selling. Rick Majerus is a legendary "big time" head coach and recruiter. We got him, thankfully, and as a result we get to enjoy this 2-3 year run of success. If we want to continue a level of success close to this level, then we need someone close to Majerus's level in ability to coach and recruit.

Like I said, if not, then we can say hello to more years of a mediocre conference, a half-full Chaifetz Arena, and a Brad Soderberg-tier team. Maybe we can schedule a home-and-away with the Lindenwood Lions?

Unfortunately, IMO the time to step up was selling our school the the C7 and Fox Sports. The administration failed us.

I'm afraid that this is reality. Back to the dark ages.

True, but the problem here is not many great coaches are like our beloved Coach Majerus (that's probably why make him so special). I just do not give a damn to the coaches like John Calipari. Butler is a good model we can learn from. BillikenLaw's plan is a great one but not very realistic for SLU.

BillikenLaw is spot-on. Jim Crews has done a fantastic job this season, and deserves all the praise in the world for overcoming the adversity that surrounded this program. But that doesn't mean he deserves a contract. Crews has a lengthy history of mostly mediocre team performance: He's an "Xs and Os guy," not a recruiter. And unfortunately, that's not good enough. Not anymore.

Granted, it's possible that his performance may improve with the added weight of SLU/Chaifetz Arena behind him. But by how much? We're looking for a coach who can continue to build on this momentum. And with Crews, I can't shake that feeling that we'd be simply retreading an old tire. I also worry that he may still have one foot out the door.

(To borrow a friend's analogy, Crews seems very similar to Bruce Weber - at Illinois and now a K-State - here. That is, he's taking over another coach's team, and having a lot of success. But once those recruits are gone, and it falls on Weber/Crews to supply his own players, things falls apart and the program reverts to mediocrity.)

We need someone who can both coach and recruit. We need a name that establishes SLU's commitment to basketball. Of course, we're not going to attract the Brad Stevens or Bill Selfs of the world. But, hey, what about Ben Howland? It's also fair to acknowledge that, at this point, SLU is a stepping stone program. If a coach has a lot of success here, he's probably not going to stay forever. But, then, that's how you build a program these days - in incremental steps. Get a coach to build you program; he leaves; you get another coach to build on his momentum. Until one day you're the program that other schools are looking up to.

And finding the right coach is only the first step. There needs be full commitment to the program by the SLU administration; let's put some of that endowment to work. Every flight needs to be chartered. Our online presence - a massive recruiting tool these days - needs to be improved. We need to generate more support in the St. Louis community. And we need to continue (and bolster) the programs that get students in the seats, and excited about their team (e.g. ticket giveaways, free concessions, etc.)

This is a vital time for the program. We're achieving unprecedented success, and we're looking to join a new, top-tier conference in the Big East. Let's do this right. Instead of reverting back to our old ways, let's continue to build, and set the program up for success for years to come.

Alright we know you are from IN and anybody from IN can do no wrong - calm down I am kidding.