New Big East Announced 3/20

Taj79

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I read it as ten, yes. Ten only.

I'm not sure how many times it can be said, but all they are announcing is 10 for 2013-14 for RIGHT NOW. They are almost certainly going to 12 in 2014 and there is a reasonable chance that when those schools announce for 2014 things will get sped up and they will be allowed to join for 2013-14 as well.

Below is taken directly from the article...Why???

The bottom line: National reports say the “Catholic 7” schools could collect up to $5 million a year.

New members such as Xavier could collect only about half of that amount, but that still is much more than the estimated $400,000 a year they receive in the Atlantic 10, ESPN reported.

Sure, if we get in this fall, that is optimal.

But if they announce us as "in" but not until 2014, we should all be very very grateful. The sooner the better for clearing up the coaching situation and getting some top notch recruits for the talent crash after next yr. I hope it does not go too long if so, someone said by July 1, well, it needs to be a lot sooner than that to get some spring recruits.

I'm not sure how many times it can be said, but all they are announcing is 10 for 2013-14 for RIGHT NOW. They are almost certainly going to 12 in 2014 and there is a reasonable chance that when those schools announce for 2014 things will get sped up and they will be allowed to join for 2013-14 as well.

Why wait to announce that part?

Why do posters here keep whining about the potential delay for 2 schools?

A deal of this magnitude has complications: legal issues, logistics, financial consideratons, potential termination penalties, scheduling, politics, you name it. This is a very complex long term business deal. All parties must be in agreement on all of the details. To boot, we are mostly talking about Catholic institutions. Think.

Almost certainly? Based on what evidence?

Below is taken directly from the article...Why??? The bottom line: National reports say the “Catholic 7” schools could collect up to $5 million a year.[/size]New members such as Xavier could collect only about half of that amount, but that still is much more than the estimated $400,000 a year they receive in the Atlantic 10, ESPN reported.[/size]

You, also, have to remember the NCAA credits X and Creighton are leaving behind. Not sure if X will see any extra money if they are only getting half of what the C7 is getting.

As long as we are spared the "We're happy and committed to the A-10" line, I think things are going to work out.

That line is the kiss of death.

You do realize that Chris May has said pretty much that exact line a number of times over the past couple of months, don't you?

As long as we are spared the "We're happy and committed to the A-10" line, I think things are going to work out.

That line is the kiss of death.

That is the line that I've heard every AD utter prior to leaving their conference for a new one.

A deal of this magnitude has complications: legal issues, logistics, financial consideratons, potential termination penalties, scheduling, politics, you name it. This is a very complex long term business deal. All parties must be in agreement on all of the details. To boot, we are mostly talking about Catholic institutions. Think.

Good post. When you aren't in arguments with others you bring some great posts to the board

Good post. When you aren't in arguments with others you bring some great posts to the board

I don't think most are whining about the potential delay. We are concerned that they seem to be set an announcement to expand to ten, while remaining completely silent on any plans to expand beyond that in the future.

Almost certainly? Based on what evidence?

Just curious, but of your 42 posts how many have been telling us that we aren't getting into the Big East?

They are going to 12 because TV demands it. The league made a deal with Fox Sports that for one season they will go with 10 teams and after that it will be 12. ESPN/CBS/etc. reported this just a couple weeks ago. Coupled with report after report after report for more than 3 months from "insiders" that they were going to take 3 teams in 2013 and another 2 in 2014, nothing has proceeded differently than largely understood for quite some time. There has been absolutely nothing that says the league will stop at 10 permanently. If you can show me one serious article that explicitly says they are stopping at 10 permanently I will buy you a beer.

They are going to 12 because TV demands it. The league made a deal with Fox Sports that for one season they will go with 10 teams and after that it will be 12. ESPN/CBS/etc. reported this just a couple weeks ago. Coupled with report after report after report for more than 3 months from "insiders" that they were going to take 3 teams in 2013 and another 2 in 2014, nothing has proceeded differently than largely understood for quite some time. There has been absolutely nothing that says the league will stop at 10 permanently. If you can show me one serious article that explicitly says they are stopping at 10 permanently I will buy you a beer.

So if everyone knows it and everyone's saying it, what's the harm in announcing that part, too?

That is false.

It's true that there are tons of complications and considerations that would delay the announcement of a deal of this magnitude. But certainly they wouldn't announce these first 10 without knowing their future plans, right? What would delay announcing the last two after they're ready to announce the first three? That makes no sense.

Because we're Billiken fans. We're used to being left kicked in the mud by Marquette. Marquette.