New Fox Sports channel

It plans to use existing long-term deals to fill Fox Sports 1 with M.L.B. games, including some from the league division series, beginning in 2014; Nascar Sprint Cup and truck races; U.F.C. matches; future World Cup soccer matches; and Big 12 and Pac-12 football and basketball games, as well as those from a basketball conference that is being formed by the seven Catholic universities that are leaving the Big East.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/05/sports/fox-planning-national-sports-network-it-hopes-can-challenge-espn.html?pagewanted=2&_r=0&hpw

Not exactly news but from a different angle.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="brianstl" data-cid="349242" data-time="1362495450"><p>

I thought I read that Fox was actually going to go with two channels, Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2.</p></blockquote>

I've heard that too. Though I think Two will still be heavily UFC programming.

I also read this morning that one of the networks will have a daily roundtable sports talk show ala The View hosted by Regis Philbin. Seriously.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="brianstl" data-cid="349242" data-time="1362495450"><p>

I thought I read that Fox was actually going to go with two channels, Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2.</p></blockquote>

I've heard that too. Though I think Two will still be heavily UFC programming.

I also read this morning that one of the networks will have a daily roundtable sports talk show ala The View hosted by Regis Philbin. Seriously.

Philbin is 81. Don't mean to sound cruel, but the guy may not even be around by the time the network finally launches.

I wish they would just launch the channel as Fox Sports and drop the 1. The 1 is kind of awkward.

Similar branding to SKY Sports in Europe (SKY Sports 1, SKY Sports 2, etc). It was mentioned that they would be carrying World Cup matches, etc. Maybe they're trying to emulate that network's feel?

Let's not forget that Fox now has Gus Johnson on board as a play-by-play man. One would think that he would get to call the "game of the week" at the very least. Why hasn't this been mentioned in the thread all about recruiting under Crews? What high school kid would turn down the opportunity to have Gus Johnson say their name on a weekly basis?

Let's not forget that Fox now has Gus Johnson on board as a play-by-play man. One would think that he would get to call the "game of the week" at the very least. Why hasn't this been mentioned in the thread all about recruiting under Crews? What high school kid would turn down the opportunity to have Gus Johnson say their name on a weekly basis?

I know I would:

http://www.gusjohnsongetsbuckets.com/

I do not think this was mentioned here. Fox Sports 1 will have an online service (a la ESPN3). Personally, I think this is good news if SLU ever ends up this network and good news if this channel gets rights to a good soccer league (please, please Bundesliga).

I hope they don't get Regis because he'll just shill for ND we have enough of that in the media already.

I need an alternative to ESPN.

Bundesliga would be nice; we'd get to see Vedad.

Bundesliga would be nice; we'd get to see Vedad.

I could have sworn I saw him yesterday smoking a cigarette and driving a tricked-out late model Audi around Gravois and Morganford.