C7 News and Rumors

SLUDrew

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They won't answer that question, but they should.

I think the answer is Marquette wanted its little brother, Creighton, first.

The last thing Marquette wants is to have to compete against SLU. Both in recruiting and, of course, on the court.

What made CU so much more appealing then SLU?

I don't know if it makes them more appealing, but I think the poster earlier made out a pretty good case. CU has been to the tourney more consistently over the last 10 years. They've had a better RPI and i'm guessing they've had better average attendance over the last 10 years. Throw in the apparent connection to marquette plus the seemingly small exit fee and I think there is a pretty good case for Creighton.

SLU wins the media argument and that is a big trump card; i'm just not sure it is big enough to trump all of the above factors.

Gee, Bay Area, thanks for sharing that item. The MVC? Wonderful news. I guess he assumes UD is in ahead of us as well if they go to12, or he can't add. So GU wants to block us? MU brings in their crony, CU. Wonder who's backing UD?

I think the best thing for us to do at this point is to put this issue on the back burner and revel in the moment of this great season.

We aren't going to the MVC. Fox won't allow the St Louis market to not be included with Dayton and Richmond being picked instead. They have hundreds of millions of reasons that influence he process more than Georgetown does. I'm going to enjoy watching this season play out, and worry about conference realignment later.

How do we know that SLU is "sitting on its hands?" These deals are done in secrecy for many reasons. Being vocal and spreading rumors is a good way to ensure you will NOT get invited, see Mizzou and the Big Ten. Just because we don't have media sources spreading rumors and aren't leaking information is not a bad sign. It could be a sign of desperation on Dayton's side.

It's likely the deal was done a few months ago and we have to wait for the process to play out. The new Big East hasn't made any announcements yet about new members. If we get to July 1 and aren't invited then I will worry.

Bay Area, stop being a drama queen. Using current rpis to make an argument about a league that should last for 20 years doesnt make sense. There is no way this conference goes to 12 and we aren't invited. The mvc comment in that article is so dumb it disqualifies anything else he has to say.

We are fine y'all. I think we are all but a sure thing for the second year expansion. Creighton only makes sense if they are adding another western school and with Butler already in, we are the most sensible choice geographically. Add that to the fact we fit the institutional profile damn near perfectly? Slam dunk. For what its worth, SLU in round two was always the rumor here in Providence and I still think it is true. I just hope they announce it immediately to spare us the angst. I think they will as the announcement is necessary to reduce exit fees from the A-10. That makes June 30th the drop dead date I think.

I agree that June 30th is the drop dead date but that might be too late for this program for at least the foreseable future. After next years class graduates we have nada, zip. We are going to have a HUGE decline in talent. We need to know something soon so we can get the coaching situation resolved and recruit some players worthy of playing in the Big East or even the A-10 for that matter. As it looks to me after next season we are going to put a team on the floor that will have trouble competing in the SWAC

I agree that June 30th is the drop dead date but that might be too late for this program for at least the foreseable future. After next years class graduates we have nada, zip. We are going to have a HUGE decline in talent. We need to know something soon so we can get the coaching situation resolved and recruit some players worthy of playing in the Big East or even the A-10 for that matter. As it looks to me after next season we are going to put a team on the floor that will have trouble competing in the SWAC

If half of what I read on other sites is true we will be fine regarding recruiting. Besides, how hard is it to tell a prospective recruit we will be in the big east in 2 years? True or not...

Shoe, I have to respectfully disagree. I read the same site(s) and if who we are recrruiting against for the services of these kids is any indication, there is going to be a significant drop-off.

I hate to be chicken little during such an amazing run, but I do think that the program is heading for a cliff within two years if we do not get in the Big East

If half of what I read on other sites is true we will be fine regarding recruiting. Besides, how hard is it to tell a prospective recruit we will be in the big east in 2 years? True or not...

Not getting invited to the Big East has upsides to it, just so long as the university continues to make the basketball program a priority. We need to continue to build the Billiken brand, and it will be easier for us to do that in the A10. It is way more fun to regularly be on the top of conference than to always be the doormat.

Not getting invited to the Big East has upsides to it, just so long as the university continues to make the basketball program a priority. We need to continue to build the Billiken brand, and it will be easier for us to do that in the A10. It is way more

fun to regularly be on the top of conference than to always be the doormat.

Please ban this poster

Not getting invited to the Big East has upsides to it, just so long as the university continues to make the basketball program a priority. We need to continue to build the Billiken brand, and it will be easier for us to do that in the A10. It is way more fun to regularly be on the top of conference than to always be the doormat.

Please ban this poster

That WAS an absolutely ludicrous claim.

Gonzaga has made 14 consecutive NCAA tournaments from the WCC. While not getting in the BE this year is a disappointment and leaves me feeling a bit uneasy about our conference future the chief concern should be leveraging this success and pub to land some recruits.

Making a deep run and finishing off what RM and the Utes couldn't get done against Kentucky...winning a National Championship...would be icing on the cake. With every win it seems less implausible.

How do may and biondi handle if we do not get in? Fired? how can they can mess this up or how are they messing this up? Creighton should be thanking us for not joining the mvc since we would have been beating the crap out them the last ten years.

Last I checked, there's a little more to being a University President than having a household name basketball program.

And, you'll want to fire your AD following a season in which the flagship sport wins its conference tourney, regular season title, and gets a 3-4 seed in the dance?

Umm....priorities, son.

Athletics in the current day are not the foundation of a university, but in many cases they are the front porch. Alumnae and other supporters of the university want this program to continue to upgrade. I feel certain that's a priority of Dr. Chaiffetz and others who help put a first class arena on campus. University fundraising will tell you that money that might be donated to the Business School will come with the good feeling folks have about the an athletic program.

That said, I think it's really important to "cash in" on this season both in terms of conference affiliation and recruiting. Big East affiliation can only help with recruiting, and there are some huge shoes leaving this spring and most of the 2013 class is done.

Last I checked, there's a little more to being a University President than having a household name basketball program.

And, you'll want to fire your AD following a season in which the flagship sport wins its conference tourney, regular season title, and gets a 3-4 seed in the dance?

Umm....priorities, son.

While I'm not advocating for firing anyone, the result of one season isn't as important as the positioning of the program.