C7 News and Rumors

SLUDrew

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoken like a true rightie, eh Bobby? Take the blinders off and drop the bias. Obama craps on the constitution, just as GW unjustifiably invaded Iraq (technically he got trolled hard by sadaam). GW should be sitting in a dark, cold prison as far as im concerned. Errr Cheney too cause we know he was the true shot caller.

Sooooooo, about the ORIGINAL topic of this thread, C7 News and Rumors, can we get back on topic please? I seem to recall a request by Steve and the admins to keep political stuff OFF this forum.

Just a friendly reminder. B)

Catholic 7 finalize departure from Big East football schools
Published 1 hour and 28 minutes ago Last updated 29 minutes and 4 seconds ago
Staff report Sporting News

The Catholic 7 basketball schools and the Big East football schools, after months of negotiating, finalized terms of their divorce Friday and announced that they will officially part ways June 30.

“I am pleased that this agreement has been reached,” Big East commissioner Mike Aresco said Friday in a statement. “With the long-term well-being of our outstanding institutions and their student-athletes of paramount importance, each group worked through a number of complex issues in an orderly, comprehensive and amicable manner marked by mutual respect.

148716-650-366.jpgThe so-called Catholic 7 will keep the Big East name. (AP Photo)

“We part ways as friends and colleagues and look forward to the success of both conferences.”

The Catholic 7 -- DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, Seton Hall, St. John's and Villanova -- will leave the league en masse on June 30 to form the new basketball-centric league and also negotiated to keep the Big East brand. The schools reportedly will pay $100 million in exit fees and to retain the name and for the contract to hold the conference tournament in Madison Square Garden.

The new basketball league also reportedly will include Butler and Xavier from the Atlantic 10 and could well include Creighton from the Missouri Valley in 2013-14 as well, but Creighton’s negotiations to exit the MVC are still ongoing. The new Big East already is exploring an expansion to 12 teams in 2014-15, most likely targeting Dayton and Saint Louis from the A-10 at that time.

“We are grateful to commissioner Michael Aresco for spearheading an agreement that truly represents the best path forward for each of our great institutions and the thousands of student-athletes who compete for our schools annually,” the Catholic 7 presidents said in a joint statement Friday. “It is a great credit to Mike, our colleagues, and all involved that we were able to work through a host of highly complex and time-sensitive issues in such a short period of time.

“We are pleased that we reached this amicable and mutually-beneficial separation by approaching each issue with a spirit of cooperation and shared respect.”

What remains of the old Big East -- it will be renamed, perhaps called the “America 12 Conference” -- will be a shell of itself. Leftovers Cincinnati, Connecticut, Louisville, Rutgers, Temple and South Florida will be joined by newcomers Central Florida, Houston, Memphis and SMU in 2013-14 with Tulane joining in 2014-15.

In the summer of ’14, Louisville will leave for the ACC and Rutgers will join the Big Ten. Unlike the basketball-only schools, neither is able to move up their departure dates because scheduling for football is done so far in advance.

“We have not chosen a new conference name at this time and there are no favorites,” Aresco said Friday. “We are going through a thoughtful evaluation of potential names for our conference, and will select a name in a timely manner through a comprehensive and deliberate process that involves our presidents and athletic directors as well as constituents from inside and outside the conference.

“We are excited about the prospect of re-branding and look forward to working with our institutions and our fans as we engage in this process.”

Notre Dame has not made an official announcement of its plans. It reportedly is negotiating to leave the Big East this summer, too, accelerating its plan to join the ACC. If completed, the Irish would join soon-to-be ex-Big East clubs Pitt and Syracuse in their move to the ACC this summer. This would give the ACC 15 teams for the 2013-14 season and then 16 beginning in 2014-15 when Louisville joins the league as an all-sports member.

An ESPN update (I believe):

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9031167/catholic-7-leaving-big-east-june-30

Of importance:

"The Big East began as a non-football conference in 1979 before also becoming a football conference in 1991. Four of the Catholic 7 schools were charter members -- Georgetown, St. John's, Seton Hall and Providence -- and now they will transition to a different version of the Big East. In 2014-15, the new 10-team Big East is expected to add two teams, with Dayton and Saint Louis the leading candidates to get to 12 members, sources said.

Adding the new members -- Butler, Xavier and Creighton had officially withdrawn from their current leagues as of early Friday -- is among the immediate challenges for the new league."

I think the ESPN article is missing a "Not" because I haven't heard from anywhere that butler, Xavier and Creidghton have officially withdrawn.

I haven't read this thread closely, but keep politics out or people may temporarily may join the restricted members (Metz) group.

Agreed. Don't care what side your on. You're here for the Bills. Well said.

Latest from Pete Thamel says Creighton & Dayton fighting for 10th spot.

I can tell you that I know people very close to the situation with this conference regarding Dayton and they have heard nothing from the catholic 7. Nothing. Done with the rumors and personally I don't think we will know who is getting in for sure for quite a while still.

i personally have witnessed bonwich yelling "fire" in a movie theatre and a restaurant before just to get better seating. the morale to the story, watch him. he is a tricky guy.

Just got off the phone with an alum in NYC that has ties to the big east and he says if Notre Dame comes in for even one year, there's no way they invite SLU even for 14-15. We're .

Just got off the phone with an alum in NYC that has ties to the big east and he says if Notre Dame comes in for even one year, there's no way they invite SLU even for 14-15. We're .

If this is true, I am forming the "Alumni united to throw Larry and Chris out on their a**ses".

There are so many things wrong with that:

1) ND isn't joining the C7 for one year

2) Why ND being in the conference would affect SLU being in it after ND plans to leave is beyond me.

Your buddy isn't the brightest...

Welcome to the line. You just stepped over it. Good Day.

Hmmm. Rich, just curious, have you ever felt like Metz or MB73 have "stepped over" the line? I don't recall you being such a hard-liner with them when it has come to political comments. ;)