C7 TV Deal with Fox

grunky

Ah, the World really does revolve around Bristol:

Just two years ago, the Big East turned down a nine-year deal from ESPN worth $1.17 billion, an average of $130 million annually. Since then the bottom has fallen out for the league, which has had 16 schools announce they were leaving during that time.

Katz posted this breaking news today: Xavier would listen to an offer if invited. Shocking stuff here.http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/75748/3-point-shot-xavier-and-the-big-east-7

I especially enjoyed Katz breaking the news X is lilely to leave if they are asked. That repot is just full of breaking news.

-three items in there I found interesting, X's AD Bobinski leaving to go to GATech, the committee "has to have a 6-4" BCS non BCS split of members and OK AD Castiglione "offers a balanced approach" to the selection process, on the last one, how does Katz know this? and what does it imply about the other members of the committee?

If we get in, it will be interesting to have to change the mindset about mid-majors getting into the tournament. I've conditioned myself for years to root for the smaller conferences to get more teams in. If this goes down the way we want, I won't be so happy anymore to hear that four of the ten on the committe are from non-BCS schools.

If we get in, it will be interesting to have to change the mindset about mid-majors getting into the tournament. I've conditioned myself for years to root for the smaller conferences to get more teams in. If this goes down the way we want, I won't be so happy anymore to hear that four of the ten on the committe are from non-BCS schools.

The new conference will be looked at as a strong conference, I don't expect it to get the same respect from those on the outside as the Big 10, ACC, SEC, Big 12, and the PAC 12. I expect it to be looked at much the same way the MWC is.

-three items in there I found interesting, X's AD Bobinski leaving to go to GATech, the committee "has to have a 6-4" BCS non BCS split of members and OK AD Castiglione "offers a balanced approach" to the selection process, on the last one, how does Katz know this? and what does it imply about the other members of the committee?

The selection committee:

Hathaway (UConn AD), Wellman (Wake AD), Alleva (LSU AD), Castiglione (OU AD) round out your BCS reps

Hickey (UT - San Antonio AD), Bobinski (X AD) Fullerton (Big Sky Commish), Barnes (Utah State AD), Zaninovich (West Coast Commish) round out Non-BCS.

However, Steve Orsini at SMU poses the interesting question, shifting from non-BCS Conference USA to the Big East for '13-'14.

-I'll still root for the little guy because 1) I think we will still be seen as one, at least for a little while, 2) I will try to not forget where we came from, and 3) I think it is good for the game

I agree. If it happens, I won't be able to cheer against the little guys for several years. However, there will come a time that we finish 21-9 and just over 50 in the conference and it may come down to us or St. Mary's and Witchita State. You better believe I will be singing the praises of being in a tougher, top level conference at that point.

I agree. If it happens, I won't be able to cheer against the little guys for several years. However, there will come a time that we finish 21-9 and just over 50 in the conference and it may come down to us or St. Mary's and Witchita State. You better believe I will be singing the praises of being in a tougher, top level conference at that point.

-we should join the Valley

-or for BAB, SBob and WestCoast, the WCC

"If you were to take the Catholic schools presently in the Big East Georgetown, Marquette, Villanova, Seton Hall, Providence, DePaul, and St. John's and add, say, Xavier, Dayton, Butler, and, what the hell, Saint Joseph's, you would have a serious league"

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8939680/the-big-east-splinters

Nothing like off the cuff analysis with a side of East Coast bias. Even ESPN's hipster cousins can't help themselves.

This is all you need to know about the author of that article. Not a basketball or college insider by any means.

"Charles P. Pierce is a staff writer for Grantland and the author of Idiot America. He writes regularly for Esquire, is the lead writer for Esquire.com's Politics blog, and is a frequent guest on NPR."

The conventional wisdom is that you don't want 2 teams from the same market because it dilutes the payout without adding any additional television markets.

The end goal of these conferences is to maximize: total revenue / # of teams

It's important to distinguish the business model of conferences with their own cable networks (B1G, Pac 12, etc...) and conferences that will never have any aspirations for their own cable networks. The cable networks conferences have incentive to expand into as many unique markets as possible so that the cable providers in those markets will carry the channel which provides the conference with subscriber fee revenue. The idea is to maximize the number of households with their network. That's what is driving the tectonic shift that is Maryland and Rutgers to the B1G. The B1G is banking that the market penetration for their network in DC and NYC (i.e. millions of people who don't give a about the B1G but will still end up with it on their cable package) will generate enough revenue to justify splitting the overall pot with 2 more schools.

Conferences without any aspirations for their own cable networks don't have that extra agenda. Their shared conference revenue is generated primarily from TV contracts with the major networks and (for basketball) from NCAA tournament units. The equation: (NCAA units + # of nationally televised games) / # of teams.

I'm not an expert on TV ratings, but as a neutral fan I'm more likely to watch a game between team A and their local rival than team A and some other random team from their conference. Duke vs UNC, Xavier vs Cincy, Xavier vs Dayton, VCU vs Richmond, Temple vs St Joes, etc.... The more teams you add, the greater the inventory of marketable games - and by adding local rivals (i.e. Xavier & Dayton, VCU & Richmond) you're essentially creating 2 games per rivalry per year that will always be on national TV.

The potential to qualify for the NCAA tournament semi-regularly (and advance) is the other major factor in the equation. VCU and Richmond each have had nice NCAA tournament runs in recent years and they've each been able to fend off poachers and lock up their young successful coaches to long-term deals.

For all of those reasons, I can see why the 14-team option (i.e. the only way VCU and UR both get in) is being considered.

The problem with 14 is that you can't properly do divisions and you're back with the pod mess we've had in the A10.

Georgetown

Villanova

St Johns

Seton Hall

Providence

VCU

Richmond

Marquette

DePaul

Xavier

Butler

SLU

Dayton

Creighton

If they go with an 18-game schedule (which would favor SLU since no one wants to play at the Fetz), then SLU could play up to 5 of the 6 other western teams twice. You'd have to think Creighton would be automatic. Butler and DePaul too since they are closest. If I had to guess I'd say we'd only play Marquette once and Marquette would end up playing Georgetown twice.

bottom line...

I'd love any league configuration as long as SLU is in it...