Intresting thing about our recent surge

brianstl

It has concided with a pretty dramatic increase in the pace we are playing at. According to Pomeroy we currently rank 229th in adjusted tempo. That isn't fast paced, but we were in the 290s less than 3 weeks ago. That is a pretty dramatic change over the course of about 4 games at this point in the season. Last year we ranked 301st.

It has concided with a pretty dramatic increase in the pace we are playing at. According to Pomeroy we currently rank 229th in adjusted tempo. That isn't fast paced, but we were in the 290s less than 3 weeks ago. That is a pretty dramatic change over the course of about 4 games at this point in the season. Last year we ranked 301st.

You're right on that one. I'd have never thought SLU would pace any higher than about 275.

Not sure how it's calculated but the last few games we had a lot of scores off turn overs where SLU scored in transition.

They increase poccessions which increases pace. We have definitely tried to force a faster tempo defensively recently, but we have not been as delibrate on the offensive end either.

Great defense leads to turn overs and fast breaks - they have been playing great defense so naturally the pace has picked up. They must continue to be tough as nails on defense and if they are they will win plenty.

We actually played better defense last year than we have up to this point according to Pomeroy's numbers.

We actually played better defense last year than we have up to this point according to Pomeroy's numbers.

Until the last 3 games our defense this year was definitely weaker than last year. The last 3 games were probably better than any 3 game stretch last season. We just need to keep up this defensive intensity and we'll be fine.

Until the last 3 games our defense this year was definitely weaker than last year. The last 3 games were probably better than any 3 game stretch last season. We just need to keep up this defensive intensity and we'll be fine.

right on kshoe. what we have just seen the last three games has not been the season. let's hope it has now become the norm! it has just been spectacular. our three guards are dominating.

I could be wrong on this, but in my opinion we are really playing Majerus defense, but in some ways we are different from Majerus' offense. RM's offense was really good but it was slow and methodical. I think Crews is using his athletes a little more and letting this team run, take early shots in the shot clock, etc. When Majerus was here I always wanted him to let JJ, MM, and KM run a little more especially off turnovers and I think that's happening more lately and that fits the makeup of this team very well.

I actually think this stat is pretty cool:

The Billikens are scoring more points than the opposition at the end of 40 minutes more often.

How many times have they done that.

I do not recall seeing any team, ever, play defense the way the Billikens played against Butler, especially in the first 15 minutes of the first half. It was almost like 8th grade boys playing against 5th grade girls.

I do not recall seeing any team, ever, play defense the way the Billikens played against Butler, especially in the first 15 minutes of the first half. It was almost like 8th grade boys playing against 5th grade girls.

The defense in the first half of the New Mexico game was possibly the best defensive half of basketball I have ever seen and the last 3 games is a close second.