Anyone Else Going to Olean?

Pistol

My dream A10 trip is finally happening. This Saturday I'm driving up and back to Olean for the game, thanks in large part to a 4:00 Eastern start time. It's about 6.5 hours each way from Cincinnati.

Yes, I bought the ticket before the Rhode Island game. The good news is I got one fairly close up, several rows behind the SLU bench.

Yes, I'm going up solo. Couldn't convince anyone to go with me, even (especially?) my SLU alum wife or her SLU alum sister.

Yes, I am aware that it's been snowing up there all week and will be continuing to snow tomorrow and Saturday. I am also aware that temperatures have been in single digits for much of the week and the low Saturday is 5. As far as I can tell, the roads are still open up there and 98% of my trip will be interstate, anyway.

Even if all else fails and we lose, I'll be stopping in Lakewood at Southern Tier on my way up for lunch and beers, about an hour before Olean. So I've got that going for me.

So is anyone else going besides me and the boosters on that charter?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. I looked up Olean on MapQuest and all I got was "middle of nowhere with left ass cheek on left, right ass cheek on right." Plus it seems you can't get there from here (Baltimore). I might have it on Fox Sports Midwest Plus if they run it here --- we get most of the A10 games when played.

VCU/Richmond on CBS Sports Net at 7 tonight.

Not true. Baltimore to Olean is 1 hour shorter than my drive from Cincinnati to Olean. Although there isn't much interstate, so you'd be on a lot of PA state highways after and during a lot of snow.

Only an 11.5 hour drive from SLU's campus:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=olean,+ny&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&sa=N&tab=wl

Lets see: leaving at 3am CT Saturday morning would get you there by game time and then leaving immediately after the game would probably get you home around 5am CT on Sunday. Sounds miserable, but doable for a group of dedicated fans that don't mind taking shifts sleeping in the back seat.

Thanks, Cowboy. And she was invited because she was sitting right next to my wife at the time. I was being polite. Knew she'd say no. Didn't realize they'd both look at me like I invited them to watch me saw my own arm off.

Lets see: leaving at 3am CT Saturday morning would get you there by game time and then leaving immediately after the game would probably get you home around 5am CT on Sunday. Sounds miserable, but doable for a group of dedicated fans that don't mind taking shifts sleeping in the back seat.

I'm in.

I'm in.

The small chance they lose = suicide

@Pistol ---- sarcasm.

Being from PA, I wouldn't drive their Interstates (76, 79, 80 and 81) during any amount of snow based on experience. And as that is the case, I sure as hell ain't getting on any back roads to cut through the northern tier or the Allegheny National Forest. Good luck to you and please let us all know when you return. Wouldn't want to find out through the grapevine that you were eaten by a bear or, worse yet, some hungry Bonnie coeds.

Pistol - Southern Tier 2XIPA is where it's at. The Eurotrash is ok... if by chance they still have their Old Man Winter, check that out too. Phin & Matt's ale isn't bad. I've had better stouts, but good luck and safe travels. I-85 into Olean is actually called the Southern Tier Expressway! Go Bills!

I'm in.

That's the spirit.

@Pistol ---- sarcasm.

Being from PA, I wouldn't drive their Interstates (76, 79, 80 and 81) during any amount of snow based on experience. And as that is the case, I sure as hell ain't getting on any back roads to cut through the northern tier or the Allegheny National Forest. Good luck to you and please let us all know when you return. Wouldn't want to find out through the grapevine that you were eaten by a bear or, worse yet, some hungry Bonnie coeds.

Thanks. Some of those northern states are awesome with plowing, so I'm hoping that's the case up in NY. I've had way worse experiences in Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and Missouri when it snows than Wisconsin and Michigan, for example. When it snows, they know how to act like it's happened before. I'm hoping Western NY is good; we'll see. The good news is that because it's been snowing for a week, it's not like Saturday could be anything surprising.

This is the big homecoming game for Bonaventure. I'm expecting the beefy Bonnie coeds to be out in full force. I camped all over the Western US this fall without any bear attacks, so I think I can handle them. If they come too close, I'll do what the park rangers told me to do - bang pots and pans, shout, swing my arms in a threatening/comical stance. If that doesn't work, I still have bear spray.

Also, If I can figure out how to do it, I'll put up the occasional photo during the GDT on Saturday.

I'm in.

3 Questions

1. Is there a bar nearby?

2. Do they have vigilant security?

3. Also what is their policy on carrying knives into the arena?

Trying to decide if I'm in. Only an extra 13 hour drive from Austin TX.

3 Questions

1. Is there a bar nearby?

2. Do they have vigilant security?

3. Also what is their policy on carrying knives into the arena?

Trying to decide if I'm in. Only an extra 13 hour drive from Austin TX.

1. Yes

2. No

3. Totally fine

Just DON'T TOUCH THE BUS.

I'm in.

That's the spirit.

I'll pick you up at the UDF over by Xavier. I put snow chains on my tires.

Hey Pistol thanks for the info. You have been personally mean to the Brown Indian Nation over the years and now your going to venture your Kester in our neck of the woods ??

You'll be happy to know this is were men are men and sheep run scared ! Don't drive back after the game, you'll miss the Cow Chip Bingo at the Fire Hall in Allegany. (Welders get two extra cards free)

Thank you coming.... You just might want to stay the night due to changing weather. The Billkens team is staying at the Country Inn & Suites (no joke) right across from the University. PLEASE DRIVE SAFE.

BROWN INDIANS