BE7 Future Conference

davidnark

You think him being a G Town alumnus is significant?

I, myself, do not.

I think we are well positioned in many ways but I have no faith in Biondi to be of any positive influence.

I am making the assumption that Biondi has strong connections to Georgetown, namely their President.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't bet against Biondi. Hate him if you want, but they said we couldn't get an arena. They said we couldnt get a great coach.

Biondi was here when we got the arena and Majerus. But I would not give him much credit for either. Some.

SLU has been trying to get the $$$ for an on campus arena for a long, long time; finally Chaifetz and others put us over the top.

Biondi did not pay Majerus, the alumni did... Biondi forked up $ 400K / yr, Chaifetz and other alumni made it a total of $ 1.2M. Majerus did not like Biondi behind closed doors, and vice versa.

Biondi was here when we got the arena and Majerus. But I would not give him much credit for either. Some.

SLU has been trying to get the $$$ for an on campus arena for a long, long time; finally Chaifetz and others put us over the top.

Biondi did not pay Majerus, the alumni did... Biondi forked up $ 400K / yr, Chaifetz and other alumni made it a total of $ 1.2M. Majerus did not like Biondi behind closed doors, and vice versa.

I am no Biondi apologist, but to discredit what he has done is asinine. He took a pile of garbage (SLU's campus) & made it into a thing of beauty. If he gets us into this new conference, I'm guessing 95% of the people around here & SLU will be singing his praises. Prrrrrrraaaaaisssseeee thhhheeeee Looooor...ahem.. Biondi!!!!

People who really know Biondi and SLU and don't have an agenda tell me Biondi is working hard to get into the new conference.

I have not really followed much of the news about Fr. Biondi's current problems, but overall he has done far more great things for SLU than he has bad. I marvel at how great that campus looks now compared to how it looked the years I attended in the late 60's - early 70's.

People who really know Biondi and SLU and don't have an agenda tell me Biondi is working hard to get into the new conference.

This makes a lot of sense. Its the perfect opportunity to make people forget about the recent PR problems and sing his praises. If he is instrumental in pulling this off and getting a good new coach all else will be forgotten and he will have sealed his legacy.

clueless

Biondi has been making a lot more appearances at the games lately. I sat courtside behind Dr. Chaifetz yesterday. After the game, Biondi came down to see him, they shared a hug and pleasantries It looked to me that Biondi is shrewdly shoring up his support for the most important donors to the University. Biondi knows the importance of this new conference and wants to deliver.

There needs to be a "stupid" button on this board for comments like this.

I think the notion that personal relationships amongst the presidents will matter is mostly fantasy. This is big business and it will proceed as such. There is a reason Canisius and Holy Cross are not part of this conversation and Jesuit politics ain't it.

If you do not think that CEOs from large companies talk before complex deals are done, you are misinformed. The better they know each other, the higher the likelihood of a positive outcome. There is a reason people say more business gets done on the golf course than in the boardroom...and they are right.

Maybe working hard, now. Sure.

Look, when you are, uh, a certain kind of person for, say, 30 yrs then suddenly want something, people do not always accept and embrace your new kindness.

If we get in, it will be because of a lot of other positive factors, (large metro TV market, good arena, good academics, clean program, recent W-L success, etc.) Biondi personally will not be a significant positive contributing factor in us getting in... IMO.

Maybe the fact that Biondi will be probably be gone soon (retirement age, let's say) will HELP.

(why is everyone so impressed that Biondi closed the streets, put in lawns, fountains, emergency phones, statues, and benches... anyone could have figured that out... it was a long time coming but at that time in the USA many urban universitiy campuses recognized the need for more confined city campuses, safety, phones, etc. for the good of the students)

Look, when you are, uh, a certain kind of person for, say, 30 yrs then suddenly want something, people do not always accept and embrace your new kindness.

If we get in, it will be because of a lot of other positive factors, (large metro TV market, good arena, good academics, clean program, recent W-L success, etc.) Biondi personally will not be a significant positive contributing factor in us getting in... IMO.

Maybe the fact that Biondi will be probably be gone soon (retirement age, let's say) will HELP.

(why is everyone so impressed that Biondi closed the streets, put in lawns, fountains, emergency phones, statues, and benches... anyone could have figured that out... it was a long time coming but at that time in the USA many urban universitiy campuses recognized the need for more confined city campuses, safety, phones, etc. for the good of the students)

Do you remember Fr. Rhinehart, his predecessor was very old and the best friend to every widow with an endowment? Biondi did what Rhinehart wouldn't. The Fine arts building was on Grand rather than restore the building he closed the school.

Really? Then why didn't they?

Do you remember Fr. Rhinehart, his predecessor was very old and the best friend to every widow with an endowment? Biondi did what Rhinehart wouldn't. The Fine arts building was on Grand rather than restore the building he closed the school.

Number one, it was Father Paul Reinart, who was one of the finest men I have ever met, and number two, Father Fitzgerald was President of SLU between Reinart and Biondi. Get your dubious facts straight.

Number one, it was Father Paul Reinart, who was one of the finest men I have ever met, and number two, Father Fitzgerald was President of SLU between Reinart and Biondi. Get your dubious facts straight.

Reinart was in charge in 1966 when the fine arts school was closed. I forgot about Fitzgerald as Reinart was still around with Emeritus title

Really? Then why didn't they?

Relax.

It was like a lot of things, things change, evolve, it was a period of change nationally, not just SLU. Try to think on multiple levels.

Father Reinhart was a great man and Fitzgerald was an outstanding President, too. But at the end of their tenure the world changed, the city changed dramatically.

Crime became more prevelant and trafffic became higher volume and a real hazzard as families went from one car to two or even three. A lot of parents and student began to be concerned and prefer safer campuses in small towns with less crime. Spread out, nicer surroungings, too.

At the end of their tenure, these issues had reached a critical point. Something had to be done. Change.

So when Biondi came in, it was as-plain-as-the-nose-on-my-face time for change, as it was nationally as city demographics shifted and safety became city university's new sensitive challenge.

Biondi did it, good for him, but it was a common theme nationally. We went to a nice closed, more secure campus, more attactive with gates and lawns and ponds and benches and fountains and safety emergeny phones everywhere.

Now someday soon a new President will step in, and make some changes with this new era; for the sake of this board, perhaps look more favorably than Biondi on athletics and the posititive effects athletics can have on a school and it's students.

Relax.

It was like a lot of things, things change, evolve, it was a period of change nationally, not just SLU. Try to think on multiple levels.

Father Reinhart was a great man and Fitzgerald was an outstanding President, too. But at the end of their tenure the world changed, the city changed dramatically.

Crime became more prevelant and trafffic became higher volume and a real hazzard as families went from one car to two or even three. A lot of parents and student began to be concerned and prefer safer campuses in small towns with less crime. Spread out, nicer surroungings, too.

At the end of their tenure, these issues had reached a critical point. Something had to be done. Change.

So when Biondi came in, it was as-plain-as-the-nose-on-my-face time for change, as it was nationally as city demographics shifted and safety became city university's new sensitive challenge.

Biondi did it, good for him, but it was a common theme nationally. We went to a nice closed, more secure campus, more attactive with gates and lawns and ponds and benches and fountains and safety emergeny phones everywhere.

Now someday soon a new President will step in, and make some changes with this new era; for the sake of this board, perhaps look more favorably than Biondi on athletics and the posititive effects athletics can have on a school and it's students.

It is nice to see you admit you were wrong. Thank you.

The central purposed of the article is to discuss which league will retain the Big East name but there is this blurb:

A Post source said though St. Mary’s and Gonzaga are attractive candidates, the travel costs to fly non-revenue teams cross-country will almost surely make adding them prohibitive. The source said Butler, Dayton, George Mason, St. Louis and Xavier are the top five options as the league seeks to transform into an elite, 12-team, hoops conference.

This is the first time I have heard George Mason so just like with every other bit of info these reporters are getting from their "sources" we need to take it with a grain of salt but we all like to see SLU consistently popping up as a member of the new league

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/game_of_name_in_big_east_split_Z8tWWS17CNrVQYweK2jPQK