What other schools are saying...

about Lisch verballing to SLU...

Illinois:

http://mb11.theinsiders.com/fillinoisinsid...cID=22166.topic

Missouri:

http://www.tigerboard.com/boards/missouri-...message=1513726

http://www.tigerboard.com/boards/missouri-...message=1513885

I'm definitely not trying to get a SLU/MU debate started, but I thought people would find it interesting what some of the local schools thought. I think it's very interesting that the Illini think they have a good shot at Tommie now. Guess they don't know about the close friendship of him and Polk and the fact that him and Lisch have even become friends (as per Roy's source). What a great time to be a Billiken!

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

It is always fun to see the wacko college-age fans come out of the woodwork to take a wack at committments. Even at that, the Illini fans prove they generally like to talk basketball more than MOO fans. They have a strong interest in Lidell up in Champaign, but they also feel SLU is still the front runner for Tommie.

The MOO fan arrogance is in full bloom in response to AJ's posting. I didn't see a single basketball fan posting a balanced reply to AJ's observation that SLU is growing. On the MOO side, it will be interesting to see how Q can meld a talented, but very inexperienced team together this coming season, given he was working with four senior starters and two preseason All-Americans last year<...amusing as always to hear Tigger fans complaining about their lack of floor experience and talent level...>

On the SLU side, developing at least one of the young big men is critical, and it is essential that Brad and co. recruit a very imposing physical power forward for next class. They have to recruit over Newborne in order to maintain the program as a rising concern.

Found this comment interesting from the Illini Board:

-----

Re: lisch to SLU

liddell's commitment to SLU appears very strong. he has a supportive family, and they seem to be on the same page with soderberg for the 2005 arrival. i don't see liddell playing point in college. liddell and polk are big time scorers who need the ball. lisch will run that show.

polk, liddell and lisch. SLU got 3 of the 4 best players in the st. louis area, with grimes going to mizzou. hard to believe. if they get a big man to play with those 3, they'll have a real chance.

the illini will move on, but weber spent 3 years on lisch, so i'm sure he's bummed. i'll say it again: outside of darius miles, who was never going to college, lisch is the best player i've seen down here in 15 years. time will tell.

eggs.

------

I agree a talented PF should be the next target. I have a feeling Newburne will blend in nicely for the next two years, but either JJ has to realize potential or we will need to land a strong PF to play with these guys....Hey maybe Hansborough will see the writing on the wall and become a Billiken as well!

One guy calls Saint Louis University a "dump". That is just unbelievable. The word "arrogant" is far, far too tame to describe the grotesque attitude of some of the Mizzou fans. With all of the bad things that have happened at Mizzou in the past 18 months, you would think that they would have learned something - guess not. It irritates me that my tax dollars support that place.

I think you should also factor in the fact that Lisch was not on most MU fans' radar screens because MU was not involved in recruiting him. I think some of the St. Louis area MU fans that post on Tigerboard were aware of him and understand he's a very good player and a big recruit for SLU.

If you were looking at those Illini posts objectively, I think you'd conclude many of them were pretty condescending towards SLU and even Lisch.

Also, notice that the caustic posts were in response to AJ's post, which was suggesting that SLU was going to pass MU and have more post-season success in 3 years. AJ was clearly trying to stir things up with that post for reasons only he knows. The other thread was mild and in response to the statement that Lisch committed. I suggest you go back on the Illini board and post some smack in relation to SLU/Illinois similar to what AJ posted, and see what kind of responses you get from those "civil" Illini fans.

i have been following the illini board for about 3 weeks now. they are about as uninformed as they come. i especially like the couple of fans that are convinced they are going to get dentman. justin signed a binding loi to illinois state months ago. same with liddell. i always kind of thought of the illini as my second team, but these guys could chase me away.

the flip flop comments are hillarious though. as i said, following the board for a few weeks, i watched them go from gushing about lisch, to now that he is a billiken, saying he is a "momma's boy" or "mid major talent" or "not quick enough to play in the big ten", is just too funny.

got to give aj credit though for his strong stance on the tiger$ board. high five aj! i am starting to believe that aj might be the dual fan he always claimed he was.

mutiger said, "you should also factor in the fact that Lisch was not on most MU fans' radar screens because MU was not involved in recruiting him."

that is thanks to pretty q'$ actions off the court the last few years. my sources tell me that the coach and parents of kevin lisch pretty much told $nyder to stay away last summer when he indeed did show interest.

mu, i suspect the rest of the billiken fans only read this particular thread. like i said, i have been following for quite awhile. the illini fans are not as outright nasty, but they are ripping the billikens as much as the tiger fan$.

The other schools criticism and skepticism will change over time. SLU is not the mid-major school in the mid-major conference as suggested by many Illinois and Mizzou fans; however, SLU has only cracked the top 25 once or twice over the last thirty years. When we become a perennial top 25 team, the fans of schools like Mizzou and Illinois will no longer write-off our recruits and progress. Based on our recent mediocritiy (i.e., one NCAA appearance in the last six years), I don't blame them for being skeptical.

Roy, even if all they ever read was that thread, they should realize that many of those posts were quite condescending towards SLU (i.e., good recruit for them, he'll get losts of playing time for them) and Lisch (not really big 10 material, we have better point guards to recruit, they can have him).

Clearly the comments from some - not all of the Illini fans were sour grapes. The comments from the MU board were typical uninformed comments you might get from any board. I did note three things though of interest - 1. They started talking about how SLU and MU are rivals - normally all they ever say is we see them as a rival but they do not. Interesting change of attitude. 2. A couple of posters from them actually started to admit that SLU might be making a move and that MU fans should take notice - not AJ's post but different ones. 3. AJ's post was intended to get a rise and it did but not the usual who cares kind of responses you normally see. Instead, they started to defend MU and looked to make comparisions of the two schools. Like I said, interesting change of attitude. MU might now see that they want to play us so they can keep some kind of presence in the St. Louis area - but they have done such a great job of convincing me that we are not rivals that I now believe that we don't need to play them so now I am the one who no longer cares. The last point I would make is that one poster said that SLU has to learn how to beat SMS and SIU - the thing is we at least are not afraid to play those two teams but MU is. So we will never know if they can beat them either.

That may be true but it is irrelevant. The point is the reason there is not more discussion or knowledge about Lisch on Tigerboard is they were not recruiting him, whether it was his choice or not. If in recent years McKinney or Spencer Laurie had chosen SLU over MU, there would have been a lot of discussion about it because it was a kid MU was recruiting.

JJ can be a decent player, but he does not have a great deal of potential. His limited playing time on a team that screamed for help at the #4 position indicated that he is not ready for the role.

He can be a contributor, but my hope is that he continues to progress and comes off the bench his junior and senior season.

Unless he develops beyond his potential, I will consider his starting in 2 years a failure of future recruiting.

on this board back when Shaw decided to go to SIU along the lines of “he’ll be a good MVC player†or “he isn’t tall enough to play PF in CUSA.†Its only human nature for people to make excuses when they lose out on something.

Also, don’t forget that no message board speaks in unison and while there were some posts on the Illini board and Mizzou board that were nasty, some were very complimentary too. This is way to good of a day to waste arguing with Mizzou or Illinois people.

Also, AJ’s post WAS inflammatory and if I had been a Mizzou fan I would have responded to it in a negative manner.

who are still bitter at the st. louis area because it hasn't produced what they've wanted since the stipo era. A lot of them are dissapointed by Jimmy McKinney (i'm not one of them), and feel as though Norm might have been right about the lack of talent in st. louis. I think they're just KC fans with a bit of city envy.