OT - Cardinals Baseball

As a lifelong New York Yankees fan, I have to say that over the past two seasons (especially having celebrated the Redbirds 11th WS championship in Dallas last October) that I have really enjoyed watching your Cardinals play. Solid organization, solid development of players through the system and a great tradition of excellence.

Here's hoping the Yanks and the Cards can reach the Fall Classic.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read this quote from a Cubs fan:

oh god the cardinals are never going to go away they're never going to die they're never going to lose again this isn't going to end they'll just keep doing this and doing this until the end of time when there isn't baseball anymore but there is nothing but cardinals running around and around the bases forever and ever in perpetuity until the universe collapses upon itself and there is nothing but cardinals nothing but cardinals.

Last night was just amazing. The randomness of baseball is powerful but there is just something about this team and their unwillingness to give up that has to be admired. There is no stat that can measure the "it" factor but in games like last night its the most important thing a team can have.

Can't wait to be at Busch on Wednesday afternoon!

I just read this quote from a Cubs fan:

oh god the cardinals are never going to go away they're never going to die they're never going to lose again this isn't going to end they'll just keep doing this and doing this until the end of time when there isn't baseball anymore but there is nothing but cardinals running around and around the bases forever and ever in perpetuity until the universe collapses upon itself and there is nothing but cardinals nothing but cardinals.

finally reality sets in for a cubs fan

As a lifelong New York Yankees fan, I have to say that over the past two seasons (especially having celebrated the Redbirds 11th WS championship in Dallas last October) that I have really enjoyed watching your Cardinals play. Solid organization, solid development of players through the system and a great tradition of excellence.

Yes ... it'll be great the Cards vs the NY ATM's.

Yeah, I tiny part of me felt bad for the Nationals fans. From total jubilation to the depths of sorrow. They witnessed history, but it sure didn't end the way they thought it was going to. Their team was the best it had been in years (ever?) and was going into the playoffs with the best record in baseball. They deserved to win. I do feel for them, but that's the game of baseball. And lately, that's the Cardinals!

Yeah, I tiny part of me felt bad for the Nationals fans. From total jubilation to the depths of sorrow. They witnessed history, but it sure didn't end the way they thought it was going to. Their team was the best it had been in years (ever?) and was going into the playoffs with the best record in baseball. They deserved to win. I do feel for them, but that's the game of baseball. And lately, that's the Cardinals!

yeah, some of those fans have been following the team for over two weeks! heartbreaking.

If you're a Yankees fan, then why were you celebrating the Cardinals' WS championship?

Yours truly (BAB) will be at today's Game 1 at AT&T Park, rooting on the Cardinals, while practicing self preservation and protection, deep behind enemy lines.

The Bay Area media yesterday (Saturday) was already trying to stir the pot re Carlos Beltran, spawning a point-counterpoint between Carlos and the Giants front office (Asst. GM). Carlos will be heavily booed at spacious AT&T Park (421 to deep right-center), but here's hoping his great post-season track record will continue in this NLCS v. El Gigantes.

I am expecting a tough series. The Giants are a resilient team and have had the Cards' number for far too long. I've been at many of the games here, as majestic Pujols drives didn't make the warning track and some typical Giant hit a bleeder or blooper that falls for a hit. But as the late, great Jack Buck once told me (in the context of Cards v. Cubbies), "We have the better club."

Cardinals in 7 games.

Go Cards! Beat the Giants!

#12 in '12!

Yours truly (BAB) will be at today's Game 1 at AT&T Park, rooting on the Cardinals, while practicing self preservation and protection, deep behind enemy lines.

The Bay Area media yesterday (Saturday) was already trying to stir the pot re Carlos Beltran, spawning a point-counterpoint between Carlos and the Giants front office (Asst. GM). Carlos will be heavily booed at spacious AT&T Park (421 to deep right-center), but here's hoping his great post-season track record will continue in this NLCS v. El Gigantes.

I am expecting a tough series. The Giants are a resilient team and have had the Cards' number for far too long. I've been at many of the games here, as majestic Pujols drives didn't make the warning track and some typical Giant hit a bleeder or blooper that falls for a hit. But as the late, great Jack Buck once told me (in the context of Cards v. Cubbies), "We have the better club."

Cardinals in 7 games.

#12 in '12!

You must be a good luck charm - try and get tickets to Game 2!

Cardinals in 7 games.

#12 in '12!

-good work BAB!!!

Cardinals in 7 games.

#12 in '12!

Please tell me you are going to the game tonight!

No, I don't have the tickets tonight. It is so loud out there, with the Giants pumping up the volume of the speakers. This is supposed to be Baseball, not Hockey, right? My mind is still numb from all that piped in noise.

The STL P-D quartet of Rick Hummel, Bernie M, Goold, and Joe Strauss were seated in the front row of the print press box, right to my left. Bernie wore headphones, and I later read he said he was listening to Jon Miller, Krukow (that old Cub) and Kuiper on Giants radio. The ballpark was going wild, and I looked over at the print press box, where there was total stoicism. There is no rooting in the press box.

That was quite a diabolical move by the omnipotent Giants organization (#territorialrights) to trot out Jose Feliciano to sing the National Anthem before Game 1. Although I immediately knew the statement the Giants were making with Jose, probably 99% or more of the people in that ballpark didn't have a clue.

Jose Feliciano is believed to be the first to sing the National Anthem the non-traditional way, before Game 5 of the '68 World Series at Detroit's Tiger Stadium. The Cards were dominating Detroit, were up 3 game to 1, and looked invincible, especially with Bob Gibson in line to pitch a Game 7. But Jose sung and played his guitar before Game 5, with a band standing idly behind him. And that Series turned the wrong way. Jose sang the National Anthem the same off-center, counterculture way last night, just like in '68. Tony Bennett sang God Bless America at the 7th Inning stretch. But even Jose Feliciano and Tony Bennett could not bring the Giants victory in Game 1.

I am reportedly in line for a Game 7, but I hope the Cards finish off SF before that.

It was wild out there last night. I had expatriates from Granite City and Collinsville, who bought tickets on StubHub sitting next to me. To my brother-in-law's left, were 2 more Cardinal fans. So we had 5 out of 6 Cardinal fans sitting together, all by chance.

I wore my SLU blue golf shirt, figuring the Giant fans wouldn't have a clue and for self-protection. But a group from St. Louis immediately saw me in the concourse, with a woman exclaiming, "Go SLU." So we both said, "Go Cards!"

Memo to SF Giants fans: Keep booing Carlos!

-so we have jose fellaciano to blame for roseanne barr and other butcher jobs of the National Anthem as he was the first? that is good to know, for what purpose i have no idea, but thanks anyway, i share Rammer's view that the Anthem should be sung as written and in just over one minute

-good to know we got you for game 7, should we need you

-sporting the Bills and getting recognized for it in 'frisco, very nice

BAB and the better half were there last night for the Game 6 debacle, and I have tickets for tonight's Game 7. It is raining here, but word is MLB will play this game today unless there is a hurricane.

Print press box is closeby, to left of our seats. Tom Timmerman is here, highlight of lost night was seeing him again, first time since Columbus, and he was kind enough to introduce me to The Commish, my fellow native Quincyan Rick Hummel, also Bernie M, shook hands with all three, as well as El Diablo, Joe Strauss. All are good guys, and I told them I like their work. They are my link to the real world!

Well, history greatly favors the Cardinals in Game 7. Giants have never won a deciding game 7, 0-5, worst in MLB history. Cards are 11-4 in Game 7's, both the 15 games and 11 wins being MLB records. Only caveat is if the law of averages is at work.

I think the Cards 1-25 have the better club, but AT&T Park is a big equalizer. I fear the Cards may be out of gas, perish the thought. Cards need to burn whatever book they are using re Scutaro. Believe me, that guy is not anywhere near this good. At least Carp threw one low and in to get him off the plate, finally.

It's not over until it's over. Keep the faith. My pre-series prediction was Cards in 7. I will be there tonight.

Keep Calm & Carry On!

Go Cards! #12 in '12.

And please win tonight, for the betterment and well being of your Left Coast spy, deep undercover and behind enemy lines.

-BAB, if your wife was not at game 1 you need to ditch her tonight for the good of the Cardinals!!!

-i like your stats better than these from kfns this morning....In the history of the game, only two teams have won a Game 7 after being up 3-1 at home, losing Game 5 at home, and losing Game 6 on the road: The 1967 Cardinals and the 1972 A’s.

2. Since 1975, there have been 14 Game 7’s when the home team forced a Game 7 by winning Game 6. The home team has won 13 of those Game 7’s. The only exception: the 2006 Cardinals beating the 2006 Mets at Shea Stadium. Oh, and by the way, Chris Carpenter lost Game 6 in that series as well.