18 or 16 game conference schedule?

Most reports have the conference schedule pegged at 16 games this coming season, but Andy Katz reports this morning on the ESPN blog it will be 18. He, also, mentions us as a conference favorite along with Butler and VCU.

More from Butler's version of Tom Timmermann:

http://blogs.indystar.com/butler/2012/05/30/butler-departure-abrupt/

Neither Butler nor VCU have played a game in the Atlantic Ten Conference, yet the Indy Star scribe calls a potential Butler-VCU matchup "the most anticipated game of the A-10 season." Excuse me?

The link you provided Katz' initial report says nothing about 18 games, and indirectly implies a 16-game schedule since Butler would have to add 3 OOC games to account for the shift from 18 (Horizon games) to 16 (A10 games) and the loss of the Xavier non-conference game.

The change in plans now means both the A-10 and Butler must alter their men's basketball schedules.

Stevens said the Bulldogs now need to schedule three more games for next season. Butler had a series with Xavier that will have to be replaced since they now are league partners.

Here is the more recent post Here is the direct quote from your link

http://espn.go.com/b...usly-tough-a-10

Butler's early arrival will necessitate a number of scheduling adjustments as the league jumps to 18 games from 16, since that’s two fewer non-conference games teams may or may not have scheduled.

The link you provided says nothing about 18 games, and indirectly implies a 16-game schedule since Butler would have to add 3 OOC games to account for the shift from 18 (Horizon games) to 16 (A10 games) and the loss of the Xavier non-conference game.

Here is the more recent post where Katz mentions an 18-game schedule

http://espn.go.com/b...usly-tough-a-10

The link I provided is the exact same one you provided.

More from Butler's version of Tom Timmermann:

http://blogs.indystar.com/butler/2012/05/30/butler-departure-abrupt/

Neither Butler nor VCU have played a game in the Atlantic Ten Conference, yet the Indy Star scribe calls a potential Butler-VCU matchup "the most anticipated game of the A-10 season." Excuse me?

I think from a national perspective it will be the biggest game. Two recent Final Four teams and the two biggest young coaches in the country.

Nice find Metz.

It is very easy to win 25+ games every year when you only have to "get up" for 3-4 games a year.

Butler and VCU are going to be middle of the pack in my opinion. Wait until VCU has to go play at @SJU, @Dayton or even in terrible Olean.

No longer will they be putting Dec-Feb on cruise control as they whip up on Towson, William and Mary, James Madison, and Georgia St. VCU circles George Mason on the calendar every year (scary).

People who are anointing VCU and Butler has A-10 favorites could be very surprised when they look at the standings in late February.

I cannot wait for RM to coach circles around Shaka.

-Nick

-so if we add two conf games that would mean one of those is a road game, are we losing a home game or playing one less non conf road or neutral game?

If you assume the 18 game schedule is in play this year, we probably drop 2 buy games off the schedule (if it is finished) to accommodate the new games. Going forward, I would assume the staff tries to schedule one less road game.

If you assume the 18 game schedule is in play this year, we probably drop 2 buy games off the schedule (if it is finished) to accommodate the new games. Going forward, I would assume the staff tries to schedule one less road game.

Going forward, there will be 14 teams and things can go back to they way they were.

Shaka Smart is 2-0 against Rick Majerus and has beaten him at Chaifetz as well.

VCU is 16-4 against the A10 since 2001.

We'll be okay. If we're truly a top 25 team like several publications are predicting, we won't be mid-pack in the A10. I'm sure we'll take some lumps and we have to acclimate ourselves to the league, but we'll certainly compete.

Nice find Metz.

It is very easy to win 25+ games every year when you only have to "get up" for 3-4 games a year.

Butler and VCU are going to be middle of the pack in my opinion. Wait until VCU has to go play at @SJU, @Dayton or even in terrible Olean.

No longer will they be putting Dec-Feb on cruise control as they whip up on Towson, William and Mary, James Madison, and Georgia St. VCU circles George Mason on the calendar every year (scary).

People who are anointing VCU and Butler has A-10 favorites could be very surprised when they look at the standings in late February.

I cannot wait for RM to coach circles around Shaka.

-Nick

Posts like this always annoy me because its the same crap that BCS schools talk about when teams like Gonzaga, Xavier etc. do well.

VCU and Butler will do just fine in the A-10 and VCU may very well be our top competition for the league title.

Agreed. Let's not pretend the A10 was some monster league all of a sudden. Or that the CAA was some completely awful low-major league either. VCU actually had a better RPI than the A10 with 6 top-100 RPI teams just a year ago in 2011. In addition to VCU getting in as an 11-seed as one of the last 4 in, ODU was a 9 seed with the auto-bid and George Mason got an at-large 8 seed after having lost in the conference semi-finals that year. Both were top 30 RPI teams. There was some good basketball being played in that league. I will absolutely concede that the CAA dregs were awful and that the league was top-heavy...but the teams at the top of that league could play ball at a very high level.

VCU would not be 16-4 against the league over the last 10 years if it was that much of a step-up in competition. There is no doubt that there will be an adjustment, but to act like teams that have won against superior competition from BCS conferences in the NCAA tournament will be mid-pack A10 squads is probably not accurate.

This team lost 1 player from a squad that won a school-record 29 games and went to the round of 32 after losing 4 of its top 5 leading scorers from the Final Four team in 2011. It beat Richmond by 22 and George Washington by 15 last year. It adds a consensus ESPN/Rivals/Scout 4-star recruit this year and has been listed on a number of top 25 lists, some even ahead of the Billikens. To think that we won't compete at the top of the conference is not a fair assessment. If we don't, it's because we are not the top 25 level team we're anticipated to be, not because the A10 dregs are going to own us.

Posts like this always annoy me because its the same crap that BCS schools talk about when teams like Gonzaga, Xavier etc. do well.

VCU and Butler will do just fine in the A-10 and VCU may very well be our top competition for the league title.

+1. Well said.

VCU can contend with the top of the league and I wouldn't be surprised to see them even win the conference. They are a very good team. I think the bigger adjustment for them is having consistent tougher games throughout conference play. The CAA is a good conference but teams like Dayton, La Salle, or Richmond will be finishing 8th or 9th this year and they are a heck of a lot better than the 8th or 9th place teams from the CAA. VCU and Butler could beat anyone in the conference but you won't get away with not bringing your top game night in and night out like you maybe could have in the CAA and definitely could have in the Horizon.

-per kenpom, since the 2003 season vcu is 14-4 vs A10, avg kenpom of wins 139, avg kenpom of losses 59 (our kenpom is still 122, i think)

-vcu is undefeated at home vs A10 over this period, 9-0

-8-2 vs rich during this period, 2-0 vs SLU, 0-1 vs x, 1-0 vs gw, 2-0 vs lasalle, 1-1 vs rhodey,

Haha...owned by the VCU guy and then piled on by everyone except SLUfan. Glad me getting crushed generates some non-"I dont want to pay for Scout" discussion.

Good points by all, and now I see where I sound like a BCS elitist. I still stand by the notion that we eat up VCU (a less talented Memphis) when we play them. This is still a Billiken Board right?

...or should I bow down to VCU because if you go back to 2001 they have been historically better :blink:

Haha, no problem with you saying you could/will beat us. I totally respect that opinion. That's your right as a fan and even besides that St. Louis is a team that can absolutely beat VCU. You guys are going to be damn good next year and I bet a lot of people will pick you guys to win the conference.

It's another thing entirely to say that we'll be mid-pack with the team we have coming in, one that's being touted as a possible top 25 team going into the season.

LOL, I actually completely agree with the less-talented Memphis description. We just don't have a chump like Pastner coaching us. ;) Memphis might be one of the most underachieving programs in the country under Pastner. They absolutely should have been a top 5 to 10 team last year with the guys on that squad.

Cowboy we're actually 2-0 against GW. We beat them at the Smith Center in 2010 in the opening round of the CBI and beat them last season in the BB&T classic at the Verizon Center in a de facto home game for GW. They rode the metro to the game.

Haha, no problem with you saying you could/will beat us. I totally respect that opinion. That's your right as a fan and even besides that St. Louis is a team that can absolutely beat VCU. You guys are going to be damn good next year and I bet a lot of people will pick you guys to win the conference.

It's another thing entirely to say that we'll be mid-pack with the team we have coming in, one that's being touted as a possible top 25 team going into the season.

LOL, I actually completely agree with the less-talented Memphis description. We just don't have a chump like Pastner coaching us. ;) Memphis might be one of the most underachieving programs in the country under Pastner. They absolutely should have been a top 5 to 10 team last year with the guys on that squad.

Cowboy we're actually 2-0 against GW. We beat them at the Smith Center in 2010 in the opening round of the CBI and beat them last season in the BB&T classic at the Verizon Center in a de facto home game for GW. They rode the metro to the game.

WOW! Finally a visiting poster who is reasonable and knowledgable! I wish the fans from Nevada, Washington, Southern Illinois were more like you. You have my permission to come back to this board