IF Slutanic hits the iceberg

slu72

and RM departs, how do we keep the ship afloat? Does Fr. B go on the cheap and promote Whitesell or Crews? No disrespect to either of them, but does anyone on here think they have the resume to take this team to the next level?

I wonder if they'd offer A. Jensen the job? Afterall, he'd be the best guy to come in and make the transition as seamless as possible. He'd likely keep Harriman and Whitesell. He knows RM's system inside and out. He knows the players. He likely knows the incoming frosh. My concern would be, he was on the bench with PM when RM was sidelined and we all know how that worked out.

There really isn't another RM type out there, ie older HC w/ a winning tradition save for Bobby K and Larry B. I don't see either of them coming to SLU.

I really don't see RM going to Texas, but just in case, what would we do?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just some names to toss out there .......

Steve McClain Asst. IU

Scott Sutton Head Coach ORU

Steve Henson Asst OU

Tim Fuller Asst MU

Kim Anderson Head Coach Central Missouri

Pau Lusk Head Coach MO St.

Tony Benford Asst. Marqutte

No offense, but no one on that list excites me. The guys we have have all been drilled in RM's system for 3-4 years now, I think we'd really struggle if for example we got the MU asst who wanted to install a style similar to MU's. This would be difficult since we're not what one would call an athletic team. We win because of their discipline and faith in RM's system. For that reason, I think the choices would be narrowed down to guys who've worked under RM, or to find a HC who's very much like him. And there aren't a lot of RM's out there. Man, I'm praying SLU does whatever it needs to to keep him. We could see a potential breakthru year go right down the toilet if he leaves.

No offense, but no one on that list excites me. The guys we have have all been drilled in RM's system for 3-4 years now, I think we'd really struggle if for example we got the MU asst who wanted to install a style similar to MU's. This would be difficult since we're not what one would call an athletic team. We win because of their discipline and faith in RM's system. For that reason, I think the choices would be narrowed down to guys who've worked under RM, or to find a HC who's very much like him. And there aren't a lot of RM's out there. Man, I'm praying SLU does whatever it needs to to keep him. We could see a potential breakthru year go right down the toilet if he leaves.

Rickma's coaching tree isn't exactly loaded with successful coaches. If you hire the best coach for the program longterm. You don't hire a guy yo go all in next season/

I can't believe we're having this discussion.

I'm going back to Dallas this weekend for the NASCAR race, so if Majerus is in town, they'll take him to Campisi's and give him the Erik Dickerson platter. I'll keep an eye out.

SMU has piss-poor basketball facilities and will be the laughing stock of the Big East. With that being said, it is SMU, and they've got money coming out of their Methodist asses down on Mockingbird Lane in Big D.

Harriman is high-level head coach material. We have an absolute gem waiting in the wings. No matter when Rick retires or leaves, we need to make sure Harriman doesn't go anywhere.

Just some names to toss out there .......

Steve McClain Asst. IU

Scott Sutton Head Coach ORU

Steve Henson Asst OU

Tim Fuller Asst MU

Kim Anderson Head Coach Central Missouri

Pau Lusk Head Coach MO St.

Tony Benford Asst. Marqutte

Good list. Fuller, Anderson, Lusk, and Sutton are the ones I ike the best from that list.

Here are two more that woulld be interesting.

Robert Kirby - Georgetown assistant. He was the reason Otto Porter commited to Georgetwon, current high level recruit Devanta Pollard loves him and is again the reason Georgetown is in the running if Miss State had hired him Pollard would probably have already committed there, he has been an assistant at Miss State and Georgetown so he is probably ready for a head coaching job, and being from Memphis he might want to move back closer to home.

http://www.guhoyas.c...y_robert00.html

Matt Zimmerman - Has spent ten years as an assistant under Mike Anderson at UAB, MU, and now Arkansas. He is probably ready for a shot as a head coach, when he was in Columbia he was well liked by everyone, after spending five years in the state he should now the area, he was a captain in the military so you know he woud bring plenty of discipline, and he would bring an interesting style of play that teams in the A10 aren't used to seeing.

http://www.arkansasr...TCLID=205316958

Butler associate head coach Matthew Graves might be an interesting option as well. He's been an assistant at Butler for 9 years under both Lickliter and Stevens so he knows how to win at a smiliar type of school. With Stevens looking like he is gong to be at BU for a while Graves only option to become a head coach might be at another school.

http://www.butlersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/graves_matthew00.html

Man, this thread just reinforces how ###### it would be if Majerus left. None of those names are exciting, and frankly I'd be (almost) forever apathetic about SLU basketball if they let Majerus walk.

There was nothing exciting about Brad Stevens either before he got the Butler job. Most coaches that get hired don't have the most exciting resume.

Do you think people at St. Mary's were going nuts over Randy Bennnett's resume?

There was nothing exciting about Brad Stevens either before he got the Butler job. Most coaches that get hired don't have the most exciting resume.

Do you have faith that SLU can identify the next Brad Stevens? I have my doubts. I think we are more likely to add the next Brad Soderberg.

I knew Kim Anderson had been doing a good job at UCM but after looking closer he has done even better than I thought. The man can obviously coach. In ten seasosns at Central Missouri he is 222-81 (.732). If we actually lose Majerus, Anderson will probably be one of my top choices as a replacement.

I would be very disappointed if this happens (i don't think it won't), and even more disappointed if we hired some assistant coach from anywhere. The only guy moderately appealing is Sutton from Oral Bob, but he has cockteased more schools than any coach in the country. Not a huge fan of Rob Jeter at Milwaukee or Paul Lusk from SMS.

While I like Harriman, I still think he is a few years off from being a viable head coach. Ideally Rick stays 3-4 more years, Harriman is setup in a Matt Painter way and voila.

I don't see how those coaches should change my position at all.

SLU has, under contract, a Hall of Fame coach. If it manages to screw this up it would be a disaster of (relatively) epic proportions. It would reinforce that SLU is and will forever be a small time school. Maybe that's where my impending apathy is coming from. I'm so f'n tired of SLU having such a small-time attitude.

We are worried about losing RickMa to SMU. S - M - U. That screams small time. You know what should happen when the A.D. of SMU calls you? You don't answer because you have a tournament team, a beautiful arena, and a fan base that adores you (mostly). Instead, the fan base is hyperventilating because there is a very real possibility SLU is about to be shown up by SMU.

It's pathetic and should never happen. The Athletic Department needs to get it's head out of is rear and squash this problem.

Harriman is high-level head coach material. We have an absolute gem waiting in the wings. No matter when Rick retires or leaves, we need to make sure Harriman doesn't go anywhere.

Pistol, why do you say this? I like Harriman a whole lot, but isn't saying he is "high-level head coach material" a little unwarranted and an unknown? High-level to be would be a Top 50 Coach and not sure what we have to base Harriman on for being that.

I cannot agree more. Harriman is a gem. The kids love him. He is smart. Very articulate and media friendly. Doesn't sh!t in towels. Seems to be a great recruiter. And, most of all, has that really cool accent.

In all seriousness, he really could be the next Billikens' Head Coach and would probably be really good.