What if St. Bonaventure wins?

BLIKNS

The chamber is empty man. We are a lock.

Never ceases to amaze how people panic after a loss. Worrying about our eligibility at this point = panicking.

Don't equate what I think is a reasonable position with "panicking" and "Worrying." There is a major difference. I listen and read Joe Lunardi. He knows his stuff. I believe him. He says SLU is in. I have my own chart too.

Repeat (How many times do I have to repeat this?)- I think SLU is in. There's no reason to misinterpret that when I keep saying it. And I just said it again.

But that doesn't mean that it objectively makes sense to root against Xavier tomorrow. We don't work for the A10.

I'm much more interested in the micro (SLU) than the macro (A10 getting 4 teams).

Other than pure emotion against Xavier, why do we care if the A10 gets 3 or 4 teams? Will SLU even be in this league in 5 years, 10 years? Perhaps there is a financial difference to the league. But does anyone know how the A10 distributes NCAA Tournament shares? Do the shares of another member (i.e. St. Bona) trickle down to a different member (i.e. SLU)? I don't even think that's a good enough reason to root against Xavier in this case.

And on the emotion front, St. Bona has never been our ally. Their fans say SLU should be in the MVC, just like elements on this Board wanted to kick the Bonnies out. When did the Bonnies suddenly become angelic hosts?

So when the a-10 gets 4 in tomorrow will you say that you were just kidding with this post? Maybe you're being facetious?

You say the A-10 will get four teams?

I say they will not, even if St. Bonnie wins.

Don't equate what I think is a reasonable position with "panicking" and "Worrying." There is a major difference. I listen and read Joe Lunardi. He knows his stuff. I believe him. He says SLU is in. I have my own chart too.

Repeat (How many times do I have to repeat this?)- I think SLU is in. There's no reason to misinterpret that when I keep saying it. And I just said it again.

But that doesn't mean that it objectively makes sense to root against Xavier tomorrow. We don't work for the A10.

I'm much more interested in the micro (SLU) than the macro (A10 getting 4 teams).

Other than pure emotion against Xavier, why do we care if the A10 gets 3 or 4 teams? Will SLU even be in this league in 5 years, 10 years? Perhaps there is a financial difference to the league. But does anyone know how the A10 distributes NCAA Tournament shares? Do the shares of another member (i.e. St. Bona) trickle down to a different member (i.e. SLU)? I don't even think that's a good enough reason to root against Xavier in this case.

And on the emotion front, St. Bona has never been our ally. Their fans say SLU should be in the MVC, just like elements on this Board wanted to kick the Bonnies out. When did the Bonnies suddenly become angelic hosts?

If you want to play the "I don't like St. Bon card" then fine, but that is thinking with your heart and not your head.

It is a fact that SLU is in regardless (as you seem to now agree) and it is likely that if St. B wins the A-10 will now get 4 teams instead of 3. To answer your question, yes SLU does get a financial benefit of that although I think its more like a present value of $25k then some huge bankroll. Nevertheless, for a school that can't afford to get its games on t.v. or charter flights, every bit counts.

More importantly, the A-10 has been stuck on 3 bids for a long time and public perception is that is the max this conference should get. Getting 4 would break that ceiling and maybe next year or the year after if we need the benefit of the doubt it will help. Even if you don't believe that, you've probably had more than a dozen rants over the past few months about how the BCS teams get all the breaks. Why you wouldn't be rooting for St. Bon to take the spot of Seton Hall or a Washington is beyond me.

If you want to play the "I don't like St. Bon card" then fine, but that is thinking with your heart and not your head.

It is a fact that SLU is in regardless (as you seem to now agree) and it is likely that if St. B wins the A-10 will now get 4 teams instead of 3. To answer your question, yes SLU does get a financial benefit of that although I think its more like a present value of $25k then some huge bankroll. Nevertheless, for a school that can't afford to get its games on t.v. or charter flights, every bit counts.

More importantly, the A-10 has been stuck on 3 bids for a long time and public perception is that is the max this conference should get. Getting 4 would break that ceiling and maybe next year or the year after if we need the benefit of the doubt it will help. Even if you don't believe that, you've probably had more than a dozen rants over the past few months about how the BCS teams get all the breaks. Why you wouldn't be rooting for St. Bon to take the spot of Seton Hall or a Washington is beyond me.

In the words of the late President Ronald Reagan, "Now there you go again."

1. I have no "I don't like St. Bon card." I'm not the one that called for St. Bona's expulsion from the A10. I never thought SLU fans as newcomers had standing to be making such claims against a long time league member. Plus, I grew up in Quincy under the Franciscan influence. I went to Quincy College games as a kid. QC (now QU) is a Franciscan school like St. Bonaventure, and in fact wears the same colors.

2. Had you read, or if you read, remembered, my prior posts you would see that much earlier in the week I said I thought SLU was in. So there is no "as you seem to now agree." I've agreed since before the A10 quarterfinals even started.

3. As to the financial benefit of 4 teams, if I thought the A10 used that money to get (1) better referees, and (2) better TV availability of league member games, then that would weigh some in my opinion, as would SLU getting financial benefit, which is why I raised the issue.

But as I said before, I see this as like insurance. Even though I think SLU is in, I am not infallible, and neither is Joe Lunardi. If I had a crystal ball and knew with 100% certainty that SLU is in, as opposed to a very high probability, then sure let the Bonnies win to get 4 in. But my opinion is it is not worth the overall risk, and that is still my opinion. Again, I say micro over macro.

I disagree with Lunardi re Seton Hall. I think Seton Hall is out. I think Washington deserves to be in ahead of Cal because it is Pac-12 regular season champ. However, that is a very close call, and Cal did win at Washington head to head. With an RPI of 69 prior to today's play, if Washington was not from a BCS conference, Washington would be out.

Of course I'd rather see the A10 get 4 to the exclusion of some BCS. But again, I don't have a crystal ball and am just hedging the bet re SLU, insurance.

I suspect I'm a bit older than you. I know the feeling of 2 NCAA snubs of SLU on Selection Sunday during the Rich Grawer years. And more recently I've sat through 2 NCAA snubs of St. Mary's, the earlier of which in the Patty Mills injury year being among the most unjustified and unfair snubs perhaps ever, certainly that I've followed, a snub in which the NCAA applied a diametrically opposite rule to a mid-major than it would apply to a BCS. So in the immortal words of Yogi Berra, "It is not over until it is over."

The bottom line and that of overall importance is that I want SLU to get in this year's NCAA Tournament. I think it is vitally important not only to the Basketball program, but also to the University as a whole.

If I were an insurance salesman I'd offer you tsunami insurance for your house in st. Louis. Completely unnecessary but if it helps you sleep then I guess it is worth it.

St Bonny winning tomorrow has about the same likelihood of affecting our NCAA bid as the chance of a wall of ocean water hitting my house in kirkwood tonight.

If I were an insurance salesman I'd offer you tsunami insurance for your house in st. Louis. Completely unnecessary but if it helps you sleep then I guess it is worth it.

St Bonny winning tomorrow has about the same likelihood of affecting our NCAA bid as the chance of a wall of ocean water hitting my house in kirkwood tonight.

Well, I live in the SF Bay Area, and yes, there was a tsunami from Japan this past year. It did a lot of damage to Santa Cruz.

I will say this- I hope you are right.

ASk St. Mary`s about last season and a loss to San Diego, and what that got them.

If by some complete off chance that St Bonnie wins tomorrow and the committee decides that only 3 A10 teams can get in, we will still be chosen before Xavier. 2-1 head to head. Beat them at their place. Better rpi. Better overall season.

I believe that we are a complete, total, for sure, without a doubt, absolute lock but as a Billiken fan I'm going to sweat it out until I hear our name tomorrow. I'm sure we'll be one of the last teams announced because it's only right for Billiken fans to have to worry until the end.

If by some complete off chance that St Bonnie wins tomorrow and the committee decides that only 3 A10 teams can get in, we will still be chosen before Xavier. 2-1 head to head. Beat them at their place. Better rpi. Better overall season.

I believe that we are a complete, total, for sure, without a doubt, absolute lock but as a Billiken fan I'm going to sweat it out until I hear our name tomorrow. I'm sure we'll be one of the last teams announced because it's only right for Billiken fans to have to worry until the end.

I'm with Slufan13, if St. B's wins, we're still in as it would be criminal for X to get in ahead of us. Hell, it would be criminal for Temple to get in ahead of us, they lost in the first rd of the tourney. At least we won our first game against a team w/ a higher RPI than UMyass. Plus all the bubble teams are popping left and right. If SLU doesn't get invited then there should be a massive investigation of the selection committee.

I'm with Slufan13, if St. B's wins, we're still in as it would be criminal for X to get in ahead of us. Hell, it would be criminal for Temple to get in ahead of us, they lost in the first rd of the tourney. At least we won our first game against a team w/ a higher RPI than UMyass. Plus all the bubble teams are popping left and right. If SLU doesn't get invited then there should be a massive investigation of the selection committee.

I still think SLU is in. I just don't want to take any chances. There is way too much at stake.

Exactly. If the committee would put Xavier in because they advanced further in the conference tournament, than they would put us in before Temple. I understand where Bay Area is coming from on this one and I'm still going to worry until I hear our name tomorrow, but you have to come up with either an anti-A10 conspiracy or other far-fetched situations to not have SLU in the tournament.

If anyone is watching ESPN, the scrolling news at the bottom of the screen shows the time for the championship game and then goes on to say that if the Bonnies win, there will be one less bubble team. To me that implies there would be 4 teams from the A10.

If anyone is watching ESPN, the scrolling news at the bottom of the screen shows the time for the championship game and then goes on to say that if the Bonnies win, there will be one less bubble team. To me that implies there would be 4 teams from the A10.

To me that implies there will be one less bubble team.

If Xavier doesn't get the automatic bid, then I doubt the Selection Committee would take them as an at-large and leave out SLU, which finished higher in the conference and beat them twice. If Xavier is worthy of an at-large bid, then so is every team which finished higher in the conference.

i tend to think that xaiver is in regardless and st bonnie is taking a 4th bid for the conference if they win today.

Or how about Texas, every time I have watched them play I have been unimpressed with their play. Bottom line there are some undeserving BCS teams out there that don't deserve an invite and if the Bonnies win, one of them should be the ones who settle for the NIT this year.