Lets win the A-10 then switch to the Valley

dewey33

We have work to do, but the Valley is our best long-term option.

SLU to the Valley makes sense for a couple reasons...

1. The Big East blow-up ain't gonna happen

2. A new papal conference ain't gonna happen

3. We would revive many historical rivalries we have had since the Ed MacAuley days

4. That would in turn consistently put butts in the Chaifetz seats for most conference games

5. That would increase the demand for advance ticket sales

6. That would increase athletic giving to ensure priority for good seats (not a guess, proven fact)

7. The savings on non-revenue sports travel could be reinvested in those programs

8. Speaking of non-revenue sports, the Valley is a better league for that too (soccer, baseball, etc)

9. If you are worried about coverage in the P-D, they would go nuts over this!

The best way to make this happen with Fr. Biondi would be to add a "peer" institution with a good basketball reputation in a big media market to join the league with us.

Best viable candidates:

Butler - Indy + good hoops

DePaul - they gotta be getting sick of getting cleaned in the Big East

Dayton & Xavier - kind of a stretch, but would be a good get

Loyola - a project, but getting a new building in Chicago

It could happen, and it would be good for SLU

3. We would revive many historical rivalries we have had since the Ed MacAuley days

4. That would in turn consistently put butts in the Chaifetz seats for most conference games

6. That would increase athletic giving to ensure priority for good seats (not a guess, proven fact)

7. The savings on non-revenue sports travel could be reinvested in those programs

8. Speaking of non-revenue sports, the Valley is a better league for that too (soccer, baseball, etc)

The best way to make this happen with Fr. Biondi would be to add a "peer" institution with a good basketball reputation in a big media market to join the league with us.

Best viable candidates:

Good luck. You are going to be attacked by the usual suspects, some are politically motivated, belong to The Billiken Club and participate in SLU functions to get customers, so they support Biondi's Blunder. Others are just younger naive posters who do not understand the true multiple dynamics of the situation and arrogantly think SLU is too good for The Valley.

Rick F*cking Majerus has clearly and adamantly stated that we belong in The Valley though he has been told lately to keep it low key. But what does he know, just a HOF coach with 35+ yrs successfull coaching in NCAA's and NBA with ESPN experience / national exposure.

Numerous insiders and knowledgeable ex players know that The Valley is where we should have been when everything blew up 8 yrs ago, but the anti MVC club will attack you for this... good luck.

Good luck. You are going to be attacked by the usual suspects, some are politically motivated, belong to The Billiken Club and participate in SLU functions to get customers, so they support Biondi's Blunder. Others are just younger naive posters who do not understand the true multiple dynamics of the situation and arrogantly think SLU is too good for The Valley.

Rick F*cking Majerus has clearly and adamantly stated that we belong in The Valley though he has been told lately to keep it low key. But what does he know, just a HOF coach with 35+ yrs successfull coaching in NCAA's and NBA with ESPN experience / national exposure.

Numerous insiders and knowledgeable ex players know that The Valley is where we should have been when everything blew up 8 yrs ago, but the anti MVC club will attack you for this... good luck.

And somewhere, a village is in search of its idiot...

That would be me I guess. SLU is too good to be in a league with a bunch of low-level state schools like Wichita St. and whatever they are calling SMS this year.

I remember when I had MY first beer.

Just curious, in your mind, what are the true multiple dynamics?

There is no doubt there are some benefits to being in the Valley. There is no denying that, but when you look at all the trade offs, it's amazing to me that anybody would want to be in the Valley over the A-10.

Yes, RM has made it clear he wants to be in the Valley. He states that reason purely on geography and travel for the team. That is the old school of Rick coming out. With the shifts in conferences over the past few years and the moves in the years to come, geography is not what it used to be. Look at all the travel teams have to do now for their respective conferences. It's part of the dynamices of college sports. I realize some want to relive the days of old, but maybe we should also go back to eliminating the three point shot, bring back the short shorts, and get rid of dunks.

Maybe, just maybe, the MVC would be a good move if and only if several top A-10 teams moved to the MVC and several lower teams dropped from the MVC. Until then, the MVC is a bad move.

Some say all these potential new conferences for SLU will never happen, but are they any more speculative than saying SLU and a couple other top A-10 teams move of the MVC? No.

Enjoy where we are at.

I thought BL and I ended this thread, but when I saw 16 replies I should have known better. I think I'll start another 3 or 4 threads:

1.) How did UB blow Harrelson's recruitment so bad?

2.) How did UB lose Ahern (the greatest Billiken to never wear the blue and white) to MoSt?

3.) And will Nolan Berry renege on his LOI to Butler if Stevens goes to ILL?

Like the man said above, JSTFU! about the Valley at least until the most excellent season's we've had in almost 20 years is over. Let's just worry about taking down X today.

SMS or whatever they're called? Um, well whatever you want to call them.. They beat us the last 3 times we played them. Maybe some respect should be given, they aren't a terrible program. And calling SLU too good for the Mo Valley is a little silly too. When's the last time we've been in the tournament.. (NOT NIT or CBI)

Don't get me wrong, SLU is my team and always will be, but let's not get too cocky..

And the Mo Valley would be a much smarter conference for SLU geographically, however, I do believe the A10 is more beneficial.

There is no doubt there are some benefits to being in the Valley. There is no denying that, but when you look at all the trade offs, it's amazing to me that anybody would want to be in the Valley over the A-10.

Yes, RM has made it clear he wants to be in the Valley. He states that reason purely on geography and travel for the team. That is the old school of Rick coming out. With the shifts in conferences over the past few years and the moves in the years to come, geography is not what it used to be. Look at all the travel teams have to do now for their respective conferences. It's part of the dynamices of college sports. I realize some want to relive the days of old, but maybe we should also go back to eliminating the three point shot, bring back the short shorts, and get rid of dunks.

Maybe, just maybe, the MVC would be a good move if and only if several top A-10 teams moved to the MVC and several lower teams dropped from the MVC. Until then, the MVC is a bad move.

Some say all these potential new conferences for SLU will never happen, but are they any more speculative than saying SLU and a couple other top A-10 teams move of the MVC? No.

Enjoy where we are at.

Not true re: geography only.

He said there are no natural rivals in the A-10 and also stated that the MVC was playing an equal brand of basketball as the A-10. (over last 8 yrs this is true, give or take, this yr. A-10 = .006 better RPI... A-10 has 4 more teams so 40% > NCAA berths). And some other things...

Best viable candidates:

ONE REASON FOR SLU TO NOT JOIN THE VALLEY:

1. The Valley sucks.