SLU a lock?

BM just said that he was thinking SLU was a lock for the NCAA but he has since seen where a couple of others nationally are saying not so fast. One said if we lose to LaSalle on Friday then we are out and another said they are underwhelmed by our schedule. BM does not agree with them but he was a bit suprised to see this talk. He also said that he is tired of the conference record no longer being an issue for selection - if you are in a BCS conf, it does not matter to some now what your conf record is you get in but if you are a mid major who comes in second in the 7th toughest conf you get screwed for going 12 -4. He was actually kind of pissed about the whole idea.

Detroit beating Valpo did not help our cause nor VC winning over Drexel. At least Harvard gets in with an auto and with St. Mary's winning the WCC that helps since they were only going to get them and the Zags in anyway. I am still a bit worried about upsets even in the BCS playoffs. Whatif NW goes on a tear - right now they are on the bubble in my opinion at best but if they make to the finals they will get in because of the sympathy vote. You could also see the same thing happening for IL or another team in the ACC other than Duke, UNC and FLS. The BE is a mess if Seton Hall goes on a run. I just am concerned that the selection committee will be looking for somebody to screw when the time comes and I just hope it is not us.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We're a lock and the experts are just trying to stir the pot a little. If we lose on Friday, who replaces us in the tourney? Drexel? Northwestern? Texas? Xavier? St. Joe? BYU? Cal? Oregon, Wash?

Regardless of what happens, SLU's resume is far better than all of these teams and there's no way we drop below all these bubble teams.

What does Valpo and Drexel have to do with us? If the committee is unimpressed with our schedule they definitely won't like either of theirs. We are in, BM is just trying to stir up crap.

Yes. Bernie mentioned last year that Colorado and V Tech got snubbed even though their rpi was in the 20s. However, I do not believe this was true, I think both their rpi numbers were in the mid-60's, at least a site I looked at stated that. I believe MO St. was the one team that got snubbed, but they finished in a logjam with 5 other MVC teams that made the tourney: Wich St, N Iowa, Creighton, SIU, and Bradley. SLU is easily in second.

What does Valpo and Drexel have to do with us? If the committee is unimpressed with our schedule they definitely won't like either of theirs. We are in, BM is just trying to stir up crap.

Valpo and Drexel have a lot to do with us since they both won their confs but lost in the finals of their tourney. The NCAA selection committee has said they would take a good look at those teams that won their confs but lost their tourney to make sure none are left out if deserving. By the way South Dakota State winning last night helps us also since they were the only legit team in their conf. BM is not stirring the pot he was planning on following SLU where ever they went - all he is doing is passing on info that might be of interest to us.

SLU would have been a lock even if they were to lose to Richmond. LaSalle is a much better looking team on paper, even SLU loses to them their RPI goes to high 30's. Yes, SLU's profile is not that great past RPI but they would just go to an 11 or 12.

The advertisers are producing SLU related tourney material! We are a lock.

This is pretty interesting (long) read that includes three boxes with blind comparisons of bubble teams. If you don't cheat and scroll over the A,B,C, D's to see the team name, it can surprise you. It also shows how tough the bubble decisions can be.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7651466/debating-ncaa-tournament-resumes-men-college-basketball

Bernie's definitely wrong on that one.

Yes, I heard that too when driving and knew for a fact he was full of it there. I remember this board having a prolonged discussion about bubble teams last year and Colorado and Va Tech were mentioned many times as teams with bad RPIs.

I think some are misinterpreting quotes about the "process" of selection with the . "criteria" of selection. The "process" is about comparing teams "on the board". Conference regular season champions are "on the board" even if they have bad RPI is the newish message coming from the committee. They did not say regular season champion was a "selection criteria". This seems to be an empty platitude by the committee unless a bad conference champion gets selected (has not really happened in the past). SLU will be "on the board" with an RPI under 40 and be more "selectable".

Lunardi has us as a 10 seed; last week we were a 9. Im sure it has to do with conference upsets. He also has Temple as 5 seed and Xavier as one of the last 4 in. The guy is usually right 98% of the time. If we lose to LaSalle we're still in so long as there are few or no more tourney upsets. The remaining tournaments are with the bigger conferences and their teams have mostly been accounted for in his bracket.

Lunardi has us as a 10 seed; last week we were a 9. Im sure it has to do with conference upsets. He also has Temple as 5 seed and Xavier as one of the last 4 in. The guy is usually right 98% of the time. If we lose to LaSalle we're still in so long as there are few or no more tourney upsets. The remaining tournaments are with the bigger conferences and their teams have mostly been accounted for in his bracket.

We have no control over what happens in the other conf tourneys. We do have control over what happens to us. Just pound friggin' LaSalle, pound the next team, pound someone else in the finals and we'll take it out of the committees' hands. I don't trust the committee. I think they're politicians at heart and you know how low politicians rank on the "trust me" scale, about minus a gazillion.

Valpo has NO chance to get in before us. They were a projected 15 seed as conference champion so it's not like they'll give an at large team a 16 seed. Drexel - maybe.

I think we're not quite a lock. That being said, I'd say there's still more than a 95% chance we're in. The rest of the bubble just isn't that good. The only thing that will hurt us is if we lose to La Salle and then bubble teams or just some random BCS team wins their conference tournament. Win on Friday and we're a lock for sure.

Notwithstanding the below, I think SLU is in.

However, there is enough smoke coming from some pundits trying to find at large spots for others, BCS also-ran pretenders and mid-major regular season champs that failed to win their conference tourneys, that there is at least cause for some concern, and it would be very helpful for SLU to beat La Salle on Friday in the A10 Tournament in a very winnable game. Better yet, win the A10 Tournament and take the decision out of the Committee's hands.

Some are picking on SLU's schedule and lack of Top 50 wins (0-2). Of course, they conveniently fail to note that Top 50's won't play SLU, Missouri being the biggest culprit, and that Xavier and St. Joe's are both just outside the Top 50. SLU is 3-0 against those two, with two of the three wins coming on the road. The two Top 50 losses were close games, but again, these BCS apologists just pick on that isolated stat as if it is the Holy Grail when it comes to SLU. I've also seen the bad loss to Rhode Island cited against SLU; SLU has only itself to blame for that black mark.

I'm a bit concerned with this new revelation that conference champs that don't win their conference tournaments get consideration on the board. That puts the likes of Iona, Oral Roberts, Middle Tennessee, Drexel, and Valparaiso onto the list. I think the threats from that group are Iona and Drexel, who are drawing support from some pundits. The others are all from one bid leagues.

I was hoping UConn would lose to West Virginia today, but UConn won in OT. Elsewhere In the Big East, it would be good to get Seton Hall a loss in that Big East Tourney asap.

I think we have to root against Northwestern and hope it makes a quick exit from the Big Ten Tournament. Sorry, but it is dog eat dog, and we don't want to be the one getting devoured at the expense of some BCS also-ran like Northwestern. Northwestern plays Minnesota in the Big Ten Tournament tomorrow (Thursday) in Indianapolis. These two split in the regular season, each winning at home. We should be rooting for the Gophers. The winner plays Michigan. Saddle an opening round Big Ten Tourney loss on Northwestern, which was sub-.500 in the Big Ten, and there is no way that Northwestern can be picked ahead of SLU. Go Gophers!

Of course, we also don't need someone like Iowa or Illinois rising up in Weber's (possible) Last Stand to win the Big Ten Tournament and steal a bid.

We certainly don't need UCLA winning the Pac-12 Tournament, which is unlikely but always a possibility. UCLA just defeated Washington at the LA Sports Arena this past weekend. We also don't need Arizona winning the Pac-12 Tourney.

As for the WCC, that could very well be a 3 bid league this year. St. Mary's has the automatic bid, Gonzaga is an NCAA lock, and BYU is on the bubble with significant political support. SLU should also be picked ahead of BYU. There is no comparison there, except politics.

In the SEC, the bubble teams are Ole Miss, Mississippi State, and now Tennessee, which is suddenly garnering NCAA support despite its RPI of 75. Tennessee reportedly had a player begin playing in SEC play, and I heard that the #2 seed in the SEC Tournament has never been left out of the NCAA.