Billiken Blizzard Recap

TVACH13

For those people that were out of town and did not see the events last night, or want to relive the moment...

There is already a great amount of video and photos (including the senior ceremony) available on http://www.slubillikens.com/

ALSO! If you took any photos or videos last night, please tag Billiken Athletics on Facebook or add them on our wall. Thanks guys! What a great night!

TVACH13

Nice ceremony and nice highlights. Wish I were there. Two great kids, who, despite limitations, overcame, perservered and started something good.

Nice to see folks stuck around and paid them their due.

You were right, it was better to have the ceremony after the game. Thank God we won!

I'm sorry that I questioned your judgement

I didn't have a strong opinion on the senior ceremony debate, but after seeing how it played out, there is no doubt SLU handled it well and that after the game is best. I recently heard Ryan Robertson on the radio and he said that he played a terrible game on Senior Night. He got so emotional with the pre-game ceremony that he had a hard time getting into the flow of the game. He said while some guys are not affected, he knew other players like him. I think RM is handling it the right way. Why risk having any of your seniors reacting like Ryan Robertson? I think this Senior Night will go down as the most memorable one that I have seen. I was at the one with Clagg/Highmark/Waldman and while it was nice with a little pre-game thing, it wasn't that big of a deal. Usually the pre-game things are kind of rushed anyway and not everybody is settled into their seats. You get a picture, parents get flowers and Guy reads off some stats. This one on Tuesday was so much better. The team went out and won and then it turned into a big postgame celebration. They had the time to play some videos, PLUS Brian and Kyle got to take the microphone... which was awesome. They wouldn't have had that opportunity to address the crownd in a pre-game ceremony. Then when it was over, the band kicked up and the players went up into the student section... I will never forget that image. I got choked up. It was truly memorable.

I didn't have a strong opinion on the senior ceremony debate, but after seeing how it played out, there is no doubt SLU handled it well and that after the game is best. I recently heard Ryan Robertson on the radio and he said that he played a terrible game on Senior Night. He got so emotional with the pre-game ceremony that he had a hard time getting into the flow of the game. He said while some guys are not affected, he knew other players like him. I think RM is handling it the right way. Why risk having any of your seniors reacting like Ryan Robertson? I think this Senior Night will go down as the most memorable one that I have seen. I was at the one with Clagg/Highmark/Waldman and while it was nice with a little pre-game thing, it wasn't that big of a deal. Usually the pre-game things are kind of rushed anyway and not everybody is settled into their seats. You get a picture, parents get flowers and Guy reads off some stats. This one on Tuesday was so much better. The team went out and won and then it turned into a big postgame celebration. They had the time to play some videos, PLUS Brian and Kyle got to take the microphone... which was awesome. They wouldn't have had that opportunity to address the crownd in a pre-game ceremony. Then when it was over, the band kicked up and the players went up into the student section... I will never forget that image. I got choked up. It was truly memorable.

+1

I originally thought Majerus had it backwards and was wrong, but after Tuesday night's post-game ceremonies, I've changed my opinion. That being said, there's still the risk of losing the game, which would put a major damper on post-game ceremonies.

+1

I originally thought Majerus had it backwards and was wrong, but after Tuesday night's post-game ceremonies, I've changed my opinion. That being said, there's still the risk of losing the game, which would put a major damper on post-game ceremonies.

Understood about the risk, but I would hope that would also give the team a little extra motivation. It sure looked like in the second half of the X game Conklin was going to do everything he could to NOT lose on his senior night. Go win the game boys and then enjoy the party. The post-game ceremony was just a lot more festive then those typical pre-game ceremonies.

For those people that were out of town and did not see the events last night, or want to relive the moment...

There is already a great amount of video and photos (including the senior ceremony) available on http://www.slubillikens.com/

ALSO! If you took any photos or videos last night, please tag Billiken Athletics on Facebook or add them on our wall. Thanks guys! What a great night!

TVACH13

...tagging photos as I type...

TVACH13

...tagging photos as I type...

Just tried to tag "Billiken Athletics" in my pictures, but it won't allow me. Do you have settings set that won't allow others to post "Billiken Athletics" in pictures? Should I tag it to "SLU Billikens"?

as long as you can get the "beat the rush" idiots to stay in their seats, i would support 200% post game ceremony. that is my sole problem with post game. i want the seniors to get maximum attention.

as long as you can get the "beat the rush" idiots to stay in their seats, i would support 200% post game ceremony. that is my sole problem with post game. i want the seniors to get maximum attention.

Will never happen. The best is to get Senior Night to sell out to minimize the impact of those who decide to leave.

Will never happen. The best is to get Senior Night to sell out to minimize the impact of those who decide to leave.

and that is why it should be pre-game. everything that was done post game would have been just as well done pre-game as post game. and there is no reason to rush anything. if the game starts late so beit. tell the a-10 to deal with it. my gosh it's our arena our home game. our seniors. they deserve maximum attention.

i do hope everyone was chastizing any idiot around them that left early the other night.

and that is why it should be pre-game. everything that was done post game would have been just as well done pre-game as post game. and there is no reason to rush anything. if the game starts late so beit. tell the a-10 to deal with it. my gosh it's our arena our home game. our seniors. they deserve maximum attention.

i do hope everyone was chastizing any idiot around them that left early the other night.

I think you are making a way bigger deal out of this than it is.

You want your players to focus on the game. Did you see BC during that national anthem. It looked like he was talking to himself the whole time, likely pumping himself up and visualizing his game plan. Your only thought pregame should be the game you are about to be playing in. John Chaney used to have his team sit in absolute silence on bus trips to games to force his team to only be thinking about the game.

I still remember a senior night for UNLV when Tarkanian had six seniors. He started ALL SIX. They jumped the ball and a technical foul was called. Classic move.

-right, tell tv, understanding our tv deal is not good, to wait on when the tip is because we feel we can, not quite how a contract works

I listened to the senior ceremony on 101, but it would have been great to see it. I think the picture of Brian & Kyle on the SLU website is a classic. A 5 year "bro-mance" & you can see that they still really like each other. This pic should be on the front page here!

Posted Image

You are going to lose something either way. Either fannies won't be in the seats or they will leave early. It's delaying the start of the gamer or the departure. You get Rick up on a mike wandering through an uninterrupted stream of flowing consciousness or you limit him with pre-recorded video. Count me in the camp who liked the way this one went. The only places you'll get a sold out house staying around are the blueblood programs with tradition ------------ Duke, UNC, Kentucky, and so on. It was especially great the kids got to address the crowd and fellow students. That was priceless.

And half those kids in the stands might have been at their first or secxond game the way SLU is.

You can't start the game late when you are on TV. They have a schedule too.