La Salle by 1 over Temple

The Wiz

In projection mode, Tuesday, Xavier is at Umass. I'm going to guess you will have Umass favored slightly at home. Xavier had a tough time with Dayton at home and I'm sure Umass will be gunning more for Xavier then X wil lbe gunning for Umass. I would have projected Umass the winner had they held on at home against La Salle but that loss has allowed doubt to creep in. Xavier seems to know it can't lose anymore this season but are still short of firepower outside of their guards. If Williams gets in foul trouble and has to sit out some, Umass is dead. I'mguessing X will putWalkeron Putney which is advantage Umass. I'm gonna say Xavier while rooting for Umass.

Wednesday, Duquesne should handle Dayton at home. But Dayton's weffort at X was spartan. Doubt they have the same fire in Pittsburgh against the Dukes. The Bonnies should down Fordham in the Bronx. St.Joe's should handle Richmond on Hawk Hill. And Charlotte wins the "who cares" game of the night in Carolina against GeeDub.

Which leaves Temple at La Salle. Just can't see it. Wright and Hollis-Jefferson look like a wash. Wright against Eric is advantage Eric. Duren is too small to handle Fernandez, advantage Fernandez. Moore is much better than Galloway. Wyatt is better than Mills. Which leaves Pettis likely against Hollis-Jefferson. I see no advantages other than home court and emotion going La Salle's way. Can't see it. Temple.

-taj, why rooting for umass? would it be better for SLU to have x rated as high as possible to hopefully give us a sweep over a better team (see higher thought of)?

Agreed. We are going to beat X at home. If they win the rest of their games they'll be in the top 50 and all those people that only look at top 50 wins will see it as 3-2 instead of 1-2.

@cowboy: it is a tough call. Kind of like the dilemma faced by yours truly in watching Xavier and Dayton Saturday night. Can't stand either program but had to root for someone. I guess I'm rooting for Umass because I want to sew up the two, which means really nothing in the grand scheme of things, but if X finishes Top Four, I want them at the four where I believe they will eventually face Temple in AC.

@kshoe: not really looking at who we beat or how we did against Top 50 schools. I see that as a criteria for selection, but find myself not worried about at-large bid right now. I believe we are in which, in all likelihood, is not a good thing to do on my part given this is Billiken Basketball. And yet with that belief,I also find myself cognizant of the fact that next Tuesday's Xavier game will be a bloodletting, with the impetus allcoming from X. We already beat them, they do not want to lose what they believe is theirs (A10 supremacy), they know they have to win out to make the Big Dance, and those factors will play into the punk/gansta mentality that seems to motivate Markie-Mark and Tutu. Especially Markie-Mark. If there is a person to firmly dislike in the A10 this year,he seems to be public enemy #1. Glad to see someone like you predicted the win. That ups my comfort factor. So I'm not looking for you in AC, right?

Right now, I have to admit I'm focused on the A10 tournament. I'd like to win the A10 outright. I'd like to share a title (41 freaking years!?!? That predates even me!). But as I become more comfortable in knowing we have a top four finish and a bye, I am projecting the rest of the field. I'dlike Xavier to be the four or five, meaning we don't have to see them a third time this year, and they might have to take a shot at Temple before we do ---- shooting either their wad or Temple's in the process.

And allthat could be wrong but you asked.

You guys seem to be way down in the weeds for me, and all that demonstrates is my lack of depth and understanding. Just win baby still takes care of all things. I expect that when the polls come out today, we will be garnering some more top 25 votes. If we hit 30 or so in the rankings, divided by 4 regions, we are a seven or eight seed. I'd prefer a six/seven to stay away from the gun barrels of a number 1 seed.

Watching the X/Dayton game, Steve Wolff (Xavier grad doing color fro CBSCS) was given a no name list of teams and was asked "in or out?" He said Saint Louis and Temple were in; Xavier and St. Joe's were out. Dickie V is giving love. Tweets are popping galore. I feel pretty good.

Winning these last six is possible.

Taj, here is where I'm coming from.

1)We are a better team than Xavier so I'm not scared to play them at home or in AC. Since there is still a decent shot we will be the 1 seed I'm also not going to worry about trying to get somebody I don't want to face into the 4/5 seed until I know where we are going to be.

2) if we win out and win the a10 tourney we will be worthy of 4/5 seed in the big dance. The only thing missing from our profile is top 50 wins. My desire for Xavier to be in the top 50 is for seeding purposes, not simply getting to the dance.

3) as always I want as many at large teams from the a-10 as possible. As X is the only other team with a shot I want them to win out except for the feb 28 game.

Hope this helps.

taj, i think we have to take care of business in the two road games, rhodey and duquesne. we win those, i think we are in no matter what happens vs xu and in atlantic city. xu and atlantic city then become seed climbing games.

now if we blow one of the two road games, i say all bets are off and we likely need to win another game vs either xu or in atlantic city.

that's just my opinion.

taj, i think we have to take care of business in the two road games, rhodey and duquesne. we win those, i think we are in no matter what happens vs xu and in atlantic city. xu and atlantic city then become seed climbing games.

now if we blow one of the two road games, i say all bets are off and we likely need to win another game vs either xu or in atlantic city.

that's just my opinion.

Agree that barring a collapse on the road in the next two weeks, the Bills are in. I don't think an X loss to UMass would affect our status at all.

The main objective now is to win out and make a run in AC to get off that 8/9 seed line for the Big Dance. Facing X in the A-10 semi's assuming we've beat them twice already would be a big challenge...I'd rather they end up on Temple's side of the draw and have the opportunity to knock off the Owls (or beat them up a bit). Assuming we make the A-10 Finals, the result of an X/Temple semi won't have much of a bearing on our seeding at that point.

Not sure who has the tie-breaker if there is a 3 way tie at 11-5 between X, LaSalle and St. Joe but it would sure be nice if X would end up 4th or 5th.

We should be rooting for X and St Joes to win every game. They are within striking distance of top 50 status. Top 50 wins is the only reason the committee could use to screw us on seeding (assuming the bills hold up their end of the bargain). This will probably be the difference between a really nice 6 seed or a crappy 9 seed.

In projection mode, Tuesday, Xavier is at Umass. I'm going to guess you will have Umass favored slightly at home. Xavier had a tough time with Dayton at home and I'm sure Umass will be gunning more for Xavier then X wil lbe gunning for Umass. I would have projected Umass the winner had they held on at home against La Salle but that loss has allowed doubt to creep in. Xavier seems to know it can't lose anymore this season but are still short of firepower outside of their guards. If Williams gets in foul trouble and has to sit out some, Umass is dead. I'mguessing X will putWalkeron Putney which is advantage Umass. I'm gonna say Xavier while rooting for Umass.

Wednesday, Duquesne should handle Dayton at home. But Dayton's weffort at X was spartan. Doubt they have the same fire in Pittsburgh against the Dukes. The Bonnies should down Fordham in the Bronx. St.Joe's should handle Richmond on Hawk Hill. And Charlotte wins the "who cares" game of the night in Carolina against GeeDub.

Which leaves Temple at La Salle. Just can't see it. Wright and Hollis-Jefferson look like a wash. Wright against Eric is advantage Eric. Duren is too small to handle Fernandez, advantage Fernandez. Moore is much better than Galloway. Wyatt is better than Mills. Which leaves Pettis likely against Hollis-Jefferson. I see no advantages other than home court and emotion going La Salle's way. Can't see it. Temple.

Well, besides differing on the La S game, you are correct , we differ on the UMass game....UMass by 2 over X. We agree on the Duq game, though that will be a nail biter too. Duq by 1 over Dayton. Some good A-10 games this week.

I still think X makes a run in the A-10 tourney. As long as we win out regular season and get a W or 2 in AC we're still in no matter what X does. I just think they're gonna be a team that finally finds itself and gets hot at the right time. Prior to the Chili Brawl, they were pretty solid and you can't ignore them. Lunardi still sees 'em getting to the dance, and I think he's counting on them doing it by taking the A-10 tourney.

I still think X makes a run in the A-10 tourney. As long as we win 2 of 3 in the regular season we're still in no matter what happens in AC. I just think they're gonna be a team that finally finds itself and gets hot at the right time. Prior to the Chili Brawl, they were pretty solid and you can't ignore them. Lunardi still sees 'em getting to the dance, and I think he's counting on them doing it by taking the A-10 tourney.

Fixed it.

Fixed it.

I think we're all gonna be a little upset, Kshoe, if we lose any of these 3 remaining games. RI's a mess. We demoralized the Dukes to the point where they quit. And it's X after all at the Fetz in front of, hopefully, 10k+ all white wearing crazed Billiken fans that will make it look like and sound like a freakin' avalanche is roaring down the slopes on the Mouseketeers.

@kshoe --- can't see any holes in any of your three points of logic. 1) I too believe we are a better team than Xavier but stranger things have happen across the wide universe of sports. It will be a battle. 2) I said a while ago I thought winning out would make us a four seed in the Dance. You desire Xavier be top 50 for seeding purposes; I desire not to see them for a third time this year. So not to worry about who we are playing in AC but worrying about seeding purposes seems the same to me. And 3) agree.

@larry72 --- I also agree there. I too can see Xavier making a run still as we move to AC. That, plus if/when we beat then a second time, I am not keen on that third encounter. Just me. Prior to the Chili Brawl, they were #8 in the country. Now, I don't think they are that good as I see them as a 2.5 man team (Lyons, Holloway and Wells, if he shows up). Xavier should have destroyed Dayton on Saturday in my book. They did not and I was surprised. I am looking forward to seeing what they produce tonight in Amherst.

As long as we don't tank the rest of the regular season we should be invited to the NCAA tourney. What does matter is in the A-10 tourney. SLU has to win at least one game to be considered a lock. Missouri State, which has the claim of having the highest RPI that wasn't invited to the tournament can place the blame on themselves and not the selection committee. Two years in a row they did not win a game in the MVC tournament. Even though they had a lot going for them, they failed in their own tourney quarterfinal. I would hate to see the same thing happent to the Billikens.

And it's X after all at the Fetz in front of, hopefully, 10k+ all white wearing crazed Billiken fans that will make it look like and sound like a freakin' avalanche is roaring down the slopes on the Mouseketeers.

Im too excited to sleep!

As long as we don't tank the rest of the regular season we should be invited to the NCAA tourney. What does matter is in the A-10 tourney. SLU has to win at least one game to be considered a lock. Missouri State, which has the claim of having the highest RPI that wasn't invited to the tournament can place the blame on themselves and not the selection committee. Two years in a row they did not win a game in the MVC tournament. Even though they had a lot going for them, they failed in their own tourney quarterfinal. I would hate to see the same thing happent to the Billikens.

Gman, you are putting way too much emphasis on the A-10 tourney. If we win 2 of the last 3, we are in the NCAA, no matter what happens in AC.

The Missouri St. snubs, particularly the year with the great RPI, had more to do with them not wanting to take 5 teams from the Valley than a single loss in the MVC tourney. We have no such concerns this year.

Gman, you are putting way too much emphasis on the A-10 tourney. If we win 2 of the last 3, we are in the NCAA, no matter what happens in AC.

The Missouri St. snubs, particularly the year with the great RPI, had more to do with them not wanting to take 5 teams from the Valley than a single loss in the MVC tourney. We have no such concerns this year.

The Missouri State snub was the first case of a team that had figured out how to beat the RPI system not getting in, not about limiting the number of Valley teams. Look at their schedule from that year- the toughest non-conference game was a middle-of-the-road SEC team (Arkansas), they lost anyway. What they did was follow the Valley's push as a conference to strengthen RPI by not playing teams in the 200s and 300s, so their schedule had a lot of teams in the mid-high 100s, and they beat all of them. Elgin spoke publicly about what the conference was trying to do to strengthen itself. The problem was that Missouri State didn't play or beat anybody that good in addition to not playing or losing to anyone really bad.

SLU didn't have the greatest non-conference schedule this year but it is still considerably stronger than Missouri State's from that 22 RPI snub season. We're clearly doing well in a lot of the computer rankings and are stronger by the eye test for sure. We are in a position where, barring a loss at Rhody this weekend, we'll be fine. I see losing 3 straight to Xavier, Duquesne and in AC as very, very unlikely- win 1 and we're still in).