Players and minutes

slu72

Obviously, RM saw a lot of matchups he didn't like yesterday. It's why DE and RL were sat down. In RL's case I don't think RM thought he was athletic enough to hang with the niners inside guys. So CR got more of his minutes. Can't figure out why DE saw so little time, but am hoping it wasn't some sort of injury. The guy who may be locking down more in the future is MM. RM must have read the riot act to KC about shooting more as KC, for him anyways, was an offensive whirlygig. Still, if you want more offense, MM's the guy. Also, KC looked horrible against their press when his pocket got picked 3 straight times. I'd also expect CE to cut into more of RL's minutes. If our 7 footer's not going to rebound, not going to take it hard to the hoop, and not get many looks at 3's, then we're not losing much by going to a guy who's 6'8" and causes matchup problems. I thought CE played his best game yesterday. The 4 assists were big. CE is a court savvy guy and now that he's learned to play D, I can see him getting 25-30 a game. Also, as we get to see more athletic bigs you'd expect RM to give more minutes to CR. So, c'mon, CR, this is your opportunity. KM, JJ, BC's minutes all stay at the same. DE's may get cut into by CE.

According to this morning's Charlotte Observer- "Rick Majerus' expalnation was that Loe was "soft" and Evans didn't play well in the recent loss against Temple."

But, CR didn't get Loe's minutes, because CR only played 6 minutes, and he's been averaging 9minutes. it looks like Loe's minutes, all went to Cody Ellis, who played 32 minutes, after averaging 22min/gm up to this point.

According to this morning's Charlotte Observer- "Rick Majerus' expalnation was that Loe was "soft" and Evans didn't play well in the recent loss against Temple."

But, CR didn't get Loe's minutes, because CR only played 6 minutes, and he's been averaging 9minutes. it looks like Loe's minutes, all went to Cody Ellis, who played 32 minutes, after averaging 22min/gm up to this point.

Well, I'd agree w/ RL's soft play. He's got to turn the corner sooner rather than later. This kid would be a huge asset for us if he figures out this ain't under 19 international ball. As for DE, there's a couple of others that didn't play well vs Temple but he didn't sit them. This is RM's way of lighting a fire under DE's Butt.

Big win.

Thank God we won or this whole site would be fraught with the usual trolls bitter second guessing of RM and brutal criticism of several players, mostly the "usual suspects". It would have been time to panic, fingers pointed, scuds launched...

What a difference a one point road win makes.

Ellis and McCall justified their extra minutes. Very nice job from those two overall. I'd still be cutting down on Cassity's minutes if I were Majerus; the starting doesn't matter, as shown by Loe's average minutes, but I'd be giving him less time for sure and McCall more.

I was surprised to see Evans get so few. A rough outing against Temple? What about the couple of games before that? These guys are all on a short leash, except Mitchell, Conk, and Cassity.

I don't understand Dwayne only getting 10 minutes. Charlotte was big and athletic on the wing. Dwayne is an excellent defender both in the paint and away from the basket. If he wasn't hurt, I don't get it. I understand wishing to get Mike into the game but the majority of his minutes should come from Cassity, not DE. He's our best rebounder, a top defender, and he is capable of getting his own shot on the offensive end. Why in the world would he be benched????

I don't understand Dwayne only getting 10 minutes. Charlotte was big and athletic on the wing. Dwayne is an excellent defender both in the paint and away from the basket. If he wasn't hurt, I don't get it. I understand wishing to get Mike into the game but the majority of his minutes should come from Cassity, not DE. He's our best rebounder, a top defender, and he is capable of getting his own shot on the offensive end. Why in the world would he be benched????

He was getting torched by Barnett in the first half and didnt have much energy on the offensive end. He will bounce back but he didnt have his best game yesterday

dwayne should play over cassity. neither one can shoot, but evans is much more athletic and gets a lot of rebounds.

He was getting torched by Barnett in the first half and didnt have much energy on the offensive end. He will bounce back but he didnt have his best game yesterday

He only played ten minutes the entire game. Barnett had 23 pts. Tell me another player on our team was a better match up for Barnett. Kyle has had bad game after bad game stacked like firewood yet the Charlotte game was the first hint of reduced minutes (but still got 19). I don't like it if coach gave up on Dwayne and sat him due to ineffective play.

Dwayne played perhaps his worst game of the year yesterday. He got torched on D and wasn't doing anything on offense. If majerus benches him and the team goes on a huge run to swing the score 27 points I see no reason to get him, or anyone else for that matter, back into the game.

He will be back in the starting lineup on Saturday and as long as he plays well he'll get minutes. This is a non issue in my mind.

Dwayne played perhaps his worst game of the year yesterday. He got torched on D and wasn't doing anything on offense. If majerus benches him and the team goes on a huge run to swing the score 27 points I see no reason to get him, or anyone else for that matter, back into the game.

He will be back in the starting lineup on Saturday and as long as he plays well he'll get minutes. This is a non issue in my mind.

Well said. Easy to have one off night. Dwayne, in general, has been trending up and that will continue. He will be one of our top players in the next two years. He has the skills, he has the desire, and, despite not being that tall, he has the physicality of play that is a major factor in success in this game.

I keep seeing people questioning Evans' shooting. Here is a question for those individuals: Who has the highest pct. on three point shooting (not counting Conklin who is 1-1)? Q2: Who has the second highest overall shooting percentage (of those with more than ten attempts)? I'll give you a hint - it is the same player with the most blocks and the only one who has over 100 total rebounds!

I keep seeing people questioning Evans' shooting. Here is a question for those individuals: Who has the highest pct. on three point shooting (not counting Conklin who is 1-1)? Q2: Who has the second highest overall shooting percentage (of those with more than ten attempts)? I'll give you a hint - it is the same player with the most blocks and the only one who has over 100 total rebounds!

He's shot 13 three pointers

I've got no issues with the way the minutes went on Saturday. DE wasn't playing particularly well and we were getting great production from MM, JJ, and CE, so Majerus decided to roll with those guys for the majority of the second half. The only time Kyle got back into the game was after we began having trouble with Charlotte's pressure at the end. Of course, he also had trouble and was quickly yanked.

Speaking of that last few minutes, why doesn't Kwamain then become the point and keep the ball in his hand? I somewhat understand it during the rest of the game when MM or KC bring the ball up, but KM is still our best ball handler and both MM and KC were choking under the pressure. Seems to me like it'd be a good time for KM to slide back into primary ball handler mode.

I love the time and effort Cassity has given to this program but he should not be starting or be getting more than 10 mpg now. McCall and Jett are significantly better in every facet of the game. I can't imagine there are many top teams this year whose starting 2 guard averages less than 5 ppg

McCall should continue to get more minutes and KC a little less. Loe has shown flashes, but his lack of development of an inside game has been disappointing. Hopefully he can follow Cody's lead by getting tougher and at least occasionally make an effort to keep defenses honest by driving it to the basket or get a few put-back buckets.

McCall should continue to get more minutes and KC a little less. Loe has shown flashes, but his lack of development of an inside game has been disappointing. Hopefully he can follow Cody's lead by getting tougher and at least occasionally make an effort to keep defenses honest by driving it to the basket or get a few put-back buckets.

I still don't think we've seen the best of Cassity. Hopefully he finds his shot, b/c we are going to need his good shooting, along with the emergence of MM's shooting down the stretch...

I sure wish Cassity would shoot more. I have been told he was a gunner in high school. I do think his basketball IQ is very high. I remember stretches over the last 2-3 years where he would go games with 0 or very few TOs. He always seemed to get a very tough defensive assignment, Even this year, I have seen him with 0 points, but 4-5 assists and a couple steals to go with them. Also steals and great assists at times where we the team needed a bucket bad or to stop a run by the opposing team. He definitley needs to step up but I think people are bashing him too much. Majerus knows more about basketball than anyone on this board and he keeps starting him. I will defer to coach's judgement.

I still don't think we've seen the best of Cassity. Hopefully he finds his shot, b/c we are going to need his good shooting, along with the emergence of MM's shooting down the stretch...

You think Cassity is pulling a John Redden, waiting until the conference tournament his senior year to put in an all conference performance?

It would be nice, but unlike Redden, Cassity has had plenty of opportunity to step up and hasn't. Hope I'm wrong, but I think we are seeing the best of Cassity. He's a functional player who should be in the rotation, but not in the top 5 in minutes based upon his December/January play.