Favorite/Overachiever /Underachiever/Hated Opposing

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Favorite Billiken : Justin Love, great player, even nicer person .. (I grew up on Clagget, Highmark, and the H-Bomb ... but J Love is a cool dude ..)

Overachiever : Philip Hunt, just walking on and doing so well considering his physical limitations .. and earning that scholarship ..

Underachiever : LARRY HUGHES! (warm up the replys!) .. one fantastic season, but could have had four .. and our program would have some serious high profile players right now .. this guy could have done so much for our university .. we'll never know .. we would have gone to a sweet sixteen at some point during his career .. perhaps further ..

Hated Opposing Player : I hated Brian Wardle of Marquette

I like a lot of Billiken players but Claggett and Love were definitely up there.

I think Roland Gray has to be mentioned as an overachiever.

Bobbie Brannen was probably my most hated player and that is mostly because I saw the final Great Midwest tourney and Brannen was so dirty those few days against all teams.

>I saw this on the Syracuse board and thought it would be fun

>on a slow day

>

>Name your favite Billiken

>Biggest Overachiever

>Biggest Underachiever

>Most Hated Opposing Player

Larry Hughes is my favorite Billiken, but Erwin Claggett and Anthony Bonner must get high honorable mentions.

I think Jeff Harris has been the biggest "overachiever" in the 16 years I've been following the team.

Larry Simmons is, in my opinion, the biggest disappointment, but Jason Edwin must get a dishonorable mention, and if he doesn't average at least 9.5 points per game in 2004-05, Izik Ohanon may be down for a dishonorable mention.

Tyrone Hill (and his Xavier teammates) are probably primarily responsible for the Billikens' not being a perennial NCAA Tournament team until now.

Favorite ... Marque

Overacheiver ... Jeff Harris

Underacheiver ... Corey Frazier

Hated ... Fortson

Honorable mention for favorite H. Waldman ... of course since I am his official sponsor.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

favorite - larry hughes by far. his natural skills were/are unapproached. honorable mentions to justin love and anthony bonner

overachiever - donnie dobbs, the man couldnt have been but 6'2" and dominated the middle. that is rediculous. jeff harris was his slightly bigger clone though and john redden got an awful lot out of his limited athletic ability. the miracle in memphis was a two man show, redden and love.

underachiever - jason edwin should win in a cakewalk, but matt baniak deserves mention

most hated opponent - i too hated bobby brannen. my wife and i always thought he resembled what a stereotypical nazi storm trooper would have been. nasty player. cordell henry comes to mind second though.

hated/worthless opposing coach - i second mike deane.

Favorite - Monroe Douglas and Pee Wee as a kid. More recently gotta love Marque, H, Claggs, Hughes, Dobbs, and Highmark.

Overachiever - John Redden and Carlos Macauley

Redden of course was a walk on who became one of the best defensive players in billiken history. Macauley not who you may typically think is an overachiever but after starting every game his freshamn year, then being buried in the rotation his soph and Jr, to come back and be the pg leader and defensive dynamo his senior season was pretty remarkable. Alot of guys would have been just left for dead.

Underachiever - As a kid Travis Tadysak and Tony Manuel were two high profile JUCOs who came in as lauded players who did less than squat.

Melvin falls into this category somewhat. Still the Big Chill barely even started in HS so some of the strides he made were pretty remarkable. He had a lot more potential and wasted it though.

Matt Baniak - I was surprised at his play his freshamn year. I played against him some in pickup games in HS and occasionally matched up inside with him (I was 6'3 in shoes). He was weak and had no fire in him. He had alot of skill but no real competitve heart. His final 3 seasons were more indicative of what I thought he would be like.

Unfortunately for Billiken fans there are so many more underachievers to add to the list. Lets hope for less and less under Soderberg.

Hated Opposing - Tyrone Hill and Derek Strong along with Pete Gillen. Those guys broke my billiken heart several times as a youngster.

Wardle of course. He is a guy you hate playing against but wish he was on your team.

Nick Van Exel - He was always making clutch 3 against the Billikens.

I wouldn't call Hughes an underachiever for SLU for the reasons you gave. It was his family situation that kept him in St. Louis in the first place and then had him bolt after 1 year. He was never going to do 4 here. Besides, of his brother isn't sick he never signs with SLU in the first place, he goes to Syracuse or Memphis (he got a Tiger tattoo after his visit to Memphis, for God's sake!).

Is there really all that much Mizzou-hatred here, or are you just Mizzou-centered? Surely it should make sense that "hated opposing player" would be players from teams in the Billikens' conference.

To appease your Mizzou-centeredness, here's my list for Mizzou:

Favorite: Kelly Thames, with honorable mentions for Doug Smith, Anthony Peeler, Melvin Booker, and Kareem Rush.

"Overachiever": Lamont Frazier, with an honorable mention for Brian Grawer. I could also give Thames an honorable mention here.

Disappointment: Lotsa those, but I'll give it to the Haley Twins. Big dishonorable mention for Ricky Clemons (wish I'd never heard of the guy).

Opposing player: Anyone who played for Kansas!!!

I don't really hate MU because of the players. I strongly dislike "Boone County Tech" because of the sleazy coach. Plus, I can't stand the arrogance that the fans posess. For example, MU fans I know ask me if SLU is a Division 1 school like they're a lock for the Final 4 every year. Plus I'll never forget how the fans acted when SLU and Mizzou played at the Hearnes my sophomore year at SLU. I was sitting in the second row on the floor by SLU's locker room enterance and when the Bills walked off the court the fans of age 50+ were holding their hands over throats and calling our boys a bunch of chokers after the Tigers came back. I know it's a game and fans do that sort of stuff all the time at sporting events, but I thought that was truly CLASSLESS!

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

>Larry Simmons underachieved? He was not a great player but

>he was not highly touted coming in either.

That's why I changed the criterion from "underachiever" to disappointment. I thought Larry Simmons had good athleticism and skill, but he never contributed much, so I consider his career a disappointment. Nevertheless, I'm still his sponsor!!

Cheesycow, we don't hate the Mizzou players. We hate the arrogant, pigheaded, egotistical, drunk, loudmouthed, unknowing, smug, superior, delusional, paranoid, and myopic Tigger fans. There are good Tiger basketball fans, but Tigerboard is a perfect example. For every good basketball (and Tiger) fan, there are twenty that are full of themselves.

Maybe it comes from being in Columbia, and existing in the large shadow of Kansas excellance, but there is more bravado emenating from Columbia about Mizzou's mighty program than from Bloomington, Indiana. At least in Bloomington they have a very impressive basketball pedigree on which to brag! The mantra for the past five seasons that has become a Tiger staple is Q's teams are designed to peak in March, when it counts.

SLU and Mizzou have obviously not played enough to create a significant rivalry, plus the cold blooded players that actually beat SLU all get booted from the program. I hate San Diego State - huh?

If we added which fans we hate the most...now there is a category Mizzou wins in spades, followed by Cinncinatti fans. And again, Cinncinatti brings it to the table, even if it is a local state pen.

Favorite player...Harry Rogers, what a stud, lit up Dr. J one night for the Spirits

Overachiever......Jeff Harris, NCAA2nd rd, 16 rbds against Tim Duncan

Underachiever.....Kevin Footes/Melvin Robinson -with AB we shoulda been dancing if they brought lunchpails

Most hated........I think his name was Tom Les. Bradley's point guard that won the game for them in '70 up at the fieldhouse. We tied for first with Memphis and Louisville, lost in playoff to go to NCAAs. I was in Fifth? grade in Peoria that year. Beat Bradley, and we win the MVC outright.

These are my opinions:

Favorite: Reggie Bryant. I'm gonna miss him when he goes after next year.

Overachiever: Chris Sloan. I don't have anything against him. In fact he's one of my favorite Billikens. I didn't expect too much from him as a local St. Charles player.

Underachiever: Matt Baniak & Chris Heinrich. I expected a lot more from these two big men.

Hated Opposing: Kenyon Martin. It was a blessing for the Billikens when he went down with the broken stick.