OT: Gangsta's zippin um up

On one hand, this is hilarious. On the other, this kid is nothing but a thug. How long did #34 and #42 last in this game. I can't help but wonder what the context is ......... is this a JV game? Is this a game long over and we're in mop-up time? If this is a high school game, these kids look like just out of diapers, both age-wise and skill-wise as well as condition-wise. Of course, 34 does have some chinny-chin-chin hair to be proud of.

These refs are disgraceful. However, on two of the fouls, attempts WERE made at the ball. Otherwise, every foul at the end of a close game would/should be considered intentional.

On one hand, this is hilarious. On the other, this kid is nothing but a thug. How long did #34 and #42 last in this game. I can't help but wonder what the context is ......... is this a JV game? Is this a game long over and we're in mop-up time? If this is a high school game, these kids look like just out of diapers, both age-wise and skill-wise as well as condition-wise. Of course, 34 does have some chinny-chin-chin hair to be proud of.

These refs are disgraceful. However, on two of the fouls, attempts WERE made at the ball. Otherwise, every foul at the end of a close game would/should be considered intentional.

Taj, if you ever been to a single A level, the smallest HS level, and the level my son played in for 4 yrs, the players sizes fit that level. Also, the officiating at that level is usually either the most inexperienced or incompetent. Over those 4 years I seen some really crazy things but not this crazy.

I can't believe the red team doesn't just deck the guy. Wait until he's shooting and just break his freaking nose.

Speaking of bad officiating ... I had a HS certified official explain to me during an Xmas tourney that a pick was illegal if the player being picked doesn't see it. He even went on to demonstrate how you had to come in from the side and show yourself to the player your picking by placing at least 1 foot in front of the other player. I got a technical for laughing. I asked him if he was just trying to make a joke, he said no, I laughed and he gave me a tech for unsportsman like conduct. Which was totally uncalled for as how in the hell was I supposed to not laugh.

I can't believe the red team doesn't just deck the guy. Wait until he's shooting and just break his freaking nose.

Speaking of bad officiating ... I had a HS certified official explain to me during an Xmas tourney that a pick was illegal if the player being picked doesn't see it. He even went on to demonstrate how you had to come in from the side and show yourself to the player your picking by placing at least 1 foot in front of the other player. I got a technical for laughing. I asked him if he was just trying to make a joke, he said no, I laughed and he gave me a tech for unsportsman like conduct. Which was totally uncalled for as how in the hell was I supposed to not laugh.

unfortunately a lot of the officials out there are like this joker skip. the draconian attitude is amazing and it is hard not to stereotype them when this is the case.

This looks like a JV game to me. Refs obviously clueless. The two thugs are football linemen it seems. #34 stinks as a BB player and he knows it; he deserved to be punched simply for his smirking as he stood by the lane waiting for the free throws. Also, how could his coach leave him in the game ? That's as bad as the reffing. Worse even.

I've reffed at a HS and Jr high level.

Taking these just as individual instances I count 2 fouls that could be construed as "flagrant." The others were all attempts on the ball, while clearly illegal, not flagrant taken as individual instances. This is all happening in one game, maybe you could throw the #34 out or at least have a chat with the coach and player. Saying these are egregious fouls that will hurt other kids, well the game is played this way sometimes.

In HS I looked like #42 but played like #34. I wouldn't have made the team if I wasn't willing to be the hatchet man and deliver the hard fouls. The push by #42 should be a technical. The plays by #34 were all hard fouls. The kid just happens to be 70 lbs heavier than his opponents. When I dish out hard fouls I always point to the 3 point line, if you shoot out there you won't get fouled, come inside for an easy shot, you get knocked on the floor until I fouled out. It may not be pretty but basketball is a game that was originally played in a cage, I believe there is a place for this. Whoever made this video needs to have their kids get in the gym and lift some weights, deliver some knocks of their own or take up ballet.

Taking these just as individual instances I count 2 fouls that could be construed as "flagrant." The others were all attempts on the ball, while clearly illegal, not flagrant taken as individual instances. This is all happening in one game, maybe you could throw the #34 out or at least have a chat with the coach and player. Saying these are egregious fouls that will hurt other kids, well the game is played this way sometimes.

In HS I looked like #42 but played like #34. I wouldn't have made the team if I wasn't willing to be the hatchet man and deliver the hard fouls. The push by #42 should be a technical. The plays by #34 were all hard fouls. The kid just happens to be 70 lbs heavier than his opponents. When I dish out hard fouls I always point to the 3 point line, if you shoot out there you won't get fouled, come inside for an easy shot, you get knocked on the floor until I fouled out. It may not be pretty but basketball is a game that was originally played in a cage, I believe there is a place for this. Whoever made this video needs to have their kids get in the gym and lift some weights, deliver some knocks of their own or take up ballet.

HATE HATE HATE

I'll disagree with your contention that they were just hard fouls. They were hard fouls with intent. The game shouldn't be played like that. When your intent is to knock a guy down, it's flagrant.

Video went viral .... CNN is all over it this morning and Soledad O'Brien (who's as opinionated a b*tch as I've ever heard "reporting" the news) admits she doesn't know basketball but this kid should be arrested. There are others on here saying "whoa, what's the context?"

The coach of the white-uniformed team has gone on record saying #34 is the victim here .... that he has been irrepairably harmed by the social media posting of this. The guy who posted it, now feels horrible. He claims he wanted to show the incompetence of the refs, not focus on the kid. Ooops.

Bottom line: in today's social media, electronic immediate age, expect even your most minor transgressions/behaviors to go viral. It could hgappen to you!

You could be George Costanza at the US Open eating ice cream poorly!!!!!

I've never played nor reffed but I've watched a lot of basketball. I think only a couple of those plays were flagrant. The push in the back being one of them. It just appears to me that 34 is not a very good basketball player. It seems to me that he is going for the ball but is so slow to react that he ends up hitting the other kid in the arm or head. And he is so much heavier than the other players that they get hit hard. Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't see intent.

There is no context to watching these plays. If 34 did this every time down the floor on defense, he'd be fouled out in a couple of minutes. And most of them WERE plays on the ball. He's just not very skilled, at least on defense.

The plays were with his body and with intent. Lets not act like this kid wasn't intending to knock the guy down. The idea that it isn't flagrant if I play the ball is a falacy. How about the next time KM goes in for a lay-up the defender puts one hand up towards the ball and just levels him with his body. There wouldn't be one poster on this board screaming for anything other than him getting tossed.

He is slow and unskilled though, you're right about that

The plays were with his body and with intent. Lets not act like this kid wasn't intending to knock the guy down. The idea that it isn't flagrant if I play the ball is a falacy. How about the next time KM goes in for a lay-up the defender puts one hand up towards the ball and just levels him with his body. There wouldn't be one poster on this board screaming for anything other than him getting tossed.

He is slow and unskilled though, you're right about that

I agree. Foul #3 was absolutely ridiculous, #34 made no attempt at the ball and basically punched the kid in the face. How the kid wasnt kicked out of the game is beyond me. At one point you see #34 and the ref laughing

These three officials should ber precluded from ever working another HS level game in the State of WA. Roy, I coucur, what passes for a state certified HS basketball referee, on both sides of the river, is often times laughable, at best.

As an experienced area referee, on #34's first foul - I call 2 shots and the ball, warning the King Tut look alike that if he commits a similar foul again, he'll be watching the remainder of the game from the locker room. #34 is using his entire arm as a weapon to injure the opponents; he is not attempting to block shots. He swings his entire arm, from the shoulder joint (as opposed to the elbow) in the general direction of the opponent, which could result in injury. He is not attempting to merely block an opponent's attempt at the basket. One opponent got hit in the head, the other was "clothes-lined", while in the air.

#42 wraps his arms around the opponent during a rebounding situation, after that opponent is pushed from behind by King Tut. #42 has shown no intention in going for the basketball. #42's backcourt foul is even more egregious, as he pushes the opponent in the back, fully extending both arms, and then has the audacity to shake his head at the referee who makes a late call. Again, the push is intentional.

This is "maul ball" at its finest. The sole intent of these two players is to intimidate the opponent; it is the referees who fail in asserting proper control to prohibit this injurious style of play. The coach should be admonished when claiming #34 is a victim. The only victims are the opposing players who were assaulted and could have been seriously injured.

Reminds me of a story my brother was telling me over xmas. My bro coaches 5th grade boys and kept telling the ref that the other team was consistently in the lane for longer than 3 seconds. Ref smarts off and says it's 5 seconds. My brother pulled out the iphone at half, looked up the rule, which showed that it was indeed a 3 second count for lane violations. He shows the ref the rule at half-time and got teed up.