No Mike McCall?

This is same thing that happened at the beginning of last year. Our freshmen looked to the older kids for leadership and scoring but neither really happened. After awhile, our Frosh realized, the hard way, that it was up to them last year. To that end, MM took charge and so did DE. RL played much better the second half of the year and JJ cut down on his mistakes/turnovers and improved as well.

As to MM specifically, he became THE point guard for us last year. JJ and KC certainly helped out but MM sure seemed to take charge of the games for us - and thrived in this role. In this point guard role, MM's points per game steadily increased. This year, IMO, MM does not really appear to understand and be comfortable in his new role. KC appears to be our back-up point guard - not MM. With the addition of KM, I'd suggest that while the entire team has stablized and better off, MM has been the most affected in that his role has changed the most while the roles of KC and JJ this year are alot closer to what they were last year. Hopefully, KM and MM will learn to play better together.

I agree with both of your posts, Clock. Very good breakdown for both JB and MM.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 good analysis. Very much hope Mike finds his role. He's a talented player who can help the team.

Agree MM will be fine. He is a good player who is learning a new role and to some degree I think the coaching staff is still learning how best to use him.

With RM's style we wont see to many 75-85 point games. For the most part KM, CE, and BC will contribute 40-45 between the three of them and with this style that only leaves about 20-25 points for the rest of the 6 man rotation. KC and RL almost always get their 5-6 and that leaves even less for MM, JJ, and DE.

I would imagine MM has been a scorer his entire basketball career, this is probably really new to him.

I really beleive he will adapt to his new role this year and it will make him an even better player in his 3rd and 4th years.

His scoring will be needed in his final two years and Im sure it will be there. The team game he is learning this year will only help him and I would not be suprised if he ended up as an all conference performer by his senior year.

no mike mccall? indeed. i've been worried about mike mccall for awhile now. i think the problem is that he just has no guts. sometimes he just disappears out there.

Ring

None of our guards are really having great individual games but only one loss is different from a year ago (brought those old Grawer memories back of going what 5-23 and nobody could rebound or score.

If MM and KM gave us career best years we could be averaging 80 per game and I would say compared to some of our other modern coaches RM let's them run, gun and as long as they get back to defend he's not too tough on them about bothering to rebound

Ring None of our guards are really having great individual games but only one loss is different from a year ago (brought those old Grawer memories back of going what 5-23 and nobody could rebound or score. If MM and KM gave us career best years we could be averaging 80 per game and I would say compared to some of our other modern coaches RM let's them run, gun and as long as they get back to defend he's not too tough on them about bothering to rebound

I wouldnt say they arent having great indivdual games. THey may not be having great scoring games but they are having great games.

Low turnovers, high assissts, and good defense equals a great game for a guard IMO.

With the scoring we have been getting from BC and CE it doesnt leave a lot of points left for the guards, other than KM.

If they can continue to protect the ball, play D, and knock down the occassional open jumper this group of guards, no matter the PPG, will have a great season.

Back to McCall for a moment. Any more on whether this is a serious situation, ie not making it academically, or really just an issue between him and RM regarding his academic progress? I know we're shrugging it off as minor, but sometimes where there's smoke there's fire. In McCall's case I'm hoping it's purely smoke. And I don't think Broy should be chastised for his comments re JB. When he was signed/transferred we were led to believe this kid was the real deal. And why not? He led a MAC team in scoring his frosh year. Heck, I think he was even TU's captain. Not sure why this hasn't translated well at SLU, but the fact is he's been a little disappointing up to this point.

If you look back at this thread there were several posts about how this was nothing big and nothing more will come of it. JB came to SLU because of a family relationship of some kind with RM if memory serves me - he is from WI and I think this is were the connection fits.

If you look back at this thread there were several posts about how this was nothing big and nothing more will come of it. JB came to SLU because of a family relationship of some kind with RM if memory serves me - he is from WI and I think this is were the connection fits.

i dont recall that. but we have had a number of players (including barnett) now gravitate to slu that played at the same prep school. i would guess rickma has got at minimum a bird dog of sorts at the prep school and more likely an ally steering kids to slu.

Seriously? Saying it wasn't pretty when someone came in is over the top criticism? I'd say that to one of my 6th graders and wouldn't feel it was harsh at all. Maybe we need a few volunteers to take some time off work and volunteer to go down to campus. Don't they need someone to make sure they look both ways and hold their hands as they cross the street.

Regarding JB. One of the most important aspects of shooting is confidence and that is hard to get when you aren't playing. Use Allen Craig and hitting as a good example. Here is a guy that has stroked the ball his entire career. Yet he comes up to the majors and can't hit a lick for his first 100 or so ab's. Why? I think we all know the guy can hit, but pinch hitting and playing sparingly is an entirely different thing. It's very hard to get into the flow or the rythym of the game. Even a shooter who is playing everyday has ebbs and flow to their shooting. They may be 1-5 one day and 3 for 5 the next. Playing 5 or 10 minutes every few weeks doesn't allow you to ever get comfortable or confident. When playing time comes so sparingly, how do you not feel the pressure to be perfect. Maybe JB can be good, maybe not. However, we won't know from watching him play sparingly in games. He needs to earn it in practice and if he does, we'll get a better handle on his abilities

I could not agree with you more about his need to earn the playing time and that unless he earns more time he will simply have to make the best of what and when he gets minutes to impress.

I could not agree with you more about his need to earn the playing time and that unless he earns more time he will simply have to make the best of what and when he gets minutes to impress.

JB got plenty of playing time last game, whenever he takes a shot, I cringe. It never goes in. It's gotten to the point, with the guys we have, that he belongs on the bench. A "little disappointing" is a huge understatement. The "hype" on this board didn't help my viewpoint either (high hopes = disappointment), but I don't expect he should be getting many minutes come conference play. He's got a few years to adjust, let's hope he picks it up... but right now JB is a shooter who can't shoot.