Coach on KMOX

Statistically, this is how our 5 guards (KM, MM, KC, JB, JJ) fared in their last season of play:

KM - 15.9 PPG, 3.0 APG, 3.0 RPG, .450 FG%, .360 3FG%, .715 FT%, 1.4 SPG

MM - 10.4 PPG, 3.0 APG, 2.1 RPG, .428 FG%, .366 3FG%, .824 FT%, 1.0 SPG

JB - 12.9 PPG, 1.5 APG, 4.3 RPG, .371 FG%, .370 3FG%, .802 FT%, 0.6 SPG

KC - 8.4 PPG, 3.4 APG, 2.3 RPG, .428 FG%, .328 3FG%, .683 FT%, 1.0 SPG

JJ - 7.5 PPG, 2.4 APG, 3.1 RPG, .423 FG%, .167 3FG%, .611 FT%, 1.4 SPG

I would be willing to stack that group of players against any other team in the A-10, regardless of Tu returning to X. I won't go so far as to say that it is top 10 in the country, but I believe it is this talented backcourt that led Lunardi to predict that SLU will make the tourney as an at-large.

All good stats, also all in a lot of minutes per game. I'll estimate a couple based on memory from my last post, but those seasons would have added the following MPG:

KM 33

MM 29

JB 34

KC 31

JJ 24

That's over 75% of every game from our guards. Doesn't mean their stats are irrelevant, but it would be impossible for us to see equivalent stats from each of those players.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard to judge how good our back court will be on a national level, but I agree with NH when comparing it to the A10. We will be very, very good at the 1-3 spots. I think some of you will change your opinion on this matter when you see just how good Kwamain is nowadays. I also think Barnett will live up to expectations.

All good stats, also all in a lot of minutes per game. I'll estimate a couple based on memory from my last post, but those seasons would have added the following MPG:

KM 33

MM 29

JB 34

KC 31

JJ 24

That's over 75% of every game from our guards. Doesn't mean their stats are irrelevant, but it would be impossible for us to see equivalent stats from each of those players.

I agree that they won't combine for the same amount of minutes that produced those stats. I was more using the stats to show how talented the 5 guards we have are and that I'd be willing to match them up with anyone in the A-10 at this point. Another point is I think you are assuming that KC is going to get 30 MPG based on his past 2 seasons. However, just going off of RM's comments during and after the season, I don't think he wants KC to be relied on for those heavy minutes anymore, especially with more offensively talented players like JB and MM at his disposal.

I think you are right on with the total number of minutes that will be allocated to these 5 players. However, not sure they will be spread out the same way that you showed. I think KC and JJ will probably average less minutes than you listed and MM and JB will average more. Majerus has already said he would like to see MM and KM on the floor at the same time a lot. Regardless, this is all basically semantics and speculation anyway. The main point remains; this is a very talented and deep backcourt.

TU>KM

Lyons>MM

Canty=JJ

Wells=JB

Cassity>Martin

If Temples guards play like they did in the NCAA tournament, I dont see how you can say our backcourt is better. I bet Holloway is back at X.

TU v. KM is a very close call in my opinion. So close that I'd call it even.

I agree that they won't combine for the same amount of minutes that produced those stats. I was more using the stats to show how talented the 5 guards we have are and that I'd be willing to match them up with anyone in the A-10 at this point. Another point is I think you are assuming that KC is going to get 30 MPG based on his past 2 seasons. However, just going off of RM's comments during and after the season, I don't think he wants KC to be relied on for those heavy minutes anymore, especially with more offensively talented players like JB and MM at his disposal.

I think you are right on with the total number of minutes that will be allocated to these 5 players. However, not sure they will be spread out the same way that you showed. I think KC and JJ will probably average less minutes than you listed and MM and JB will average more. Majerus has already said he would like to see MM and KM on the floor at the same time a lot. Regardless, this is all basically semantics and speculation anyway. The main point remains; this is a very talented and deep backcourt.

Definitely agreed. I have little doubt we'll be one of the top 3 or so backcourts in our league. But it seemed like a heck of a reach to throw them into one of the Top 10 in the nation. I'm sure that spread of minutes won't be accurate, but I was just trying to look at it mathematically to illustrate the relative impact of our depth. If KC isn't playing 30 MPG again this year, that's probably for the best. We more or less know what we're getting from him.

TU v. KM is a very close call in my opinion. So close that I'd call it even.

I have the X vs. SLU game from last year recorded. KM badly outplayed Tu. Granted, it was just one game and Tu improved a lot from his soph to junior season, but I don't think it is crazy at all to call them even.

How much weight are you applying to our depth? That's great that we could have the best 4th guard in the nation. How many minutes is he going to average? Does it matter how good he is if for 30 minutes a game Austin Rivers and Seth Curry are running us out of the gym? Kwamain is going to step in and steal a lot of the minutes from MM and JJ. JB is going to do the same, likely at the 2 & 3 spots.

54% of our minutes came from guards last year. Almost 58% of them came from guards the year before. That's between 108-116 minutes per game to the guards. Kwamain and Kyle are playing 30 minutes per game. That leaves 16-18 a piece evenly between MM, JJ and JB assuming that no other guards step in to play (probably a fair assumption because we subtract PE and CS and gain KM and JB). JB, if effective, will likely play more than MM and JJ because he can play the 3.

Call me crazy, but a spread of:

KM 30

KC 30

JB 20

MM 18

JJ 18

doesn't scream Top 10 backcourt. I'll give you very good A10 backcourt. I don't think its going to scare Austin Rivers or any of his teammates. I don't think its even going to scare DJ Richardson and Brandon Paul.

KC will not get 30 mpg, no way... if he does, we will be in trouble.

I don't think you can really just divide out the minutes like that. I think Majerus will just ride the hot hand on a game to game basis. Some players will have better matchups against certain teams. Some players will be playing well at certain times. I think KM is the only one that you can guarantee will be out there about 30-35 minutes a game. Everyone else will play a wide range of minutes from game to game.

KC will not get 30 mpg, no way... if he does, we will be in trouble.

while i dont think cassity will average 30 mpg, i do think he will have at least the second most mpg on the team.

while i dont think cassity will average 30 mpg, i do think he will have at least the second most mpg on the team.

Hey, with gas at $4 a gallon, let's hope he gets 30 MPG!

/shows myself to the door...

Like Ace said. We WILL be in trouble. Unless KC has tremendously improved and other players have not improved, he will not get the second most minutes. imo

While cassity was a big disappointment as the needed go to scorer, he was still the best player on the floor on just about any other guard attribute. Best passer, best defender, most dependable ball handler with least turnovers. He also rebounded well.

With mitchell back to take over the go to department. So cassity will return to his do everything support role and do it well.

While cassity was a big disappointment as the needed go to scorer, he was still the best player on the floor on just about any other guard attribute. Best passer, best defender, most dependable ball handler with least turnovers. He also rebounded well.

With mitchell back to take over the go to department. So cassity will return to his do everything support role and do it well.

I hope/think you are right, but I believe they will be a better team if Kyle sees between 20-25 minutes as opposed to 30-35 minutes.

I hope/think you are right, but I believe they will be a better team if Kyle sees between 20-25 minutes as opposed to 30-35 minutes.

I said I didn't think he would average 30 mpg. I said he would be 2nd most mpg.

I think KC can be anywhere between 2nd and 7th on the team next year in minutes. He will still get plenty of minutes, and will not have as much pressure to score as he did last season. Currently, we have 4 players on this team who have averaged double-digits in scoring at the D-1 level (KM, MM, JB, CE) and a couple of others who have the potential to be that next season (DE and RL.) KC becomes a very valuable player when you have multiple scoring options around him. He passes well, doesn't turn the ball over, knows the offense and plays good defense.

Regarding Barnett's being an all-conference performer, I think Majerus was talking about an eventuality that may come to fruition his senior year, not necessarily this year. I would not be surprised if Barnett regularly comes off of the bench this year and I don't at all think said situation will be detrimental to the teams projected performance. The fact that Kwamain Mitchell has supposedly improved considerably since his sophomore year and is now into his 20s will be the principal factor in an NCAA-Tournament run for the Billikens in '12.

I hope Mitchell will be at least honorable mention all-America this year — kind of along the lines of Melvin Booker for Missouri in '94.

Roy. It will be another long season if KC gets 30 mpg - a season full injury and disappointment if that happens.

I think (and certainly hope) that you are wrong.

Roy. It will be another long season if KC gets 30 mpg - a season full injury and disappointment if that happens.

Excellent post.

My guess is that McCall and Evans both get more minutes... Barnett, Conklin, Loe and Jett are also possibilities. I think Kyle will rank anywhere from 4-6th in minutes. The preseason thread where we predict the minutes will make for some lively debate.

third time now....(go back and reread original statement)i never said he would get 30 minutes per game. in fact i said i dont think he will get 30 mpg. i said he would be second on the team in mpg.

My guess is that McCall and Evans both get more minutes... Barnett, Conklin, Loe and Jett are also possibilities. I think Kyle will rank anywhere from 4-6th in minutes. The preseason thread where we predict the minutes will make for some lively debate.

I agree. No doubt in my mind that KC will be the starter our first game - and even into November and early December. For those who say starting is for high school, I say bs. Starting is very important to a player's ego, confidence and attitude. We will need KC this year and are not yet good enough to kid a former starter/major contributor to the curb. At the end of a close game early in the season, though, I would be very surprised to see KC still out there.

JB and others will need to beat him out of the starting spot. After that happens, I see KC being a role player coming off the bench and for certain matchups and not a starter again until Senior Day.

third time now....(go back and reread original statement)i never said he would get 30 minutes per game. in fact i said i dont think he will get 30 mpg. i said he would be second on the team in mpg.

Sorry. Same comments though as to KC being second on team in mpg. See earlier post.

Roy is correct. He stated that KC will not get 30 a game but will be 2nd on the team in minutes. I agree with him to a certain point, in that I think after KM, the minutes among on the team will be very close, meaning that someone who is 6th will have close to the same minutes as someone who is 2nd.

Roy also made valid points about why KC will continue to get a lot of minutes. However, I do have to disagree with one point. KC did not rebound well last season. He had a couple of decent rebounding games towards the end of the season, but overall he averaged 2.3 RPG. When looking at his rebounds per minutes played, we see that he averaged a rebound every 13.58 minutes. Only MM (14.2) and PE (28.3) rebounded less frequently than KC.