Breaking - Anderson to Fayetteville

Hughes has had a very solid NBA career, better than any current TIgers in the league, I would think.

edit: I don't even know what this argument is about I just wanna stand up for Larry Legend

I'm not downing on Larry Hughes I'm just saying NBA success is really a stupid way to judge collegiate players.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No- we're talking about you saying he would ride the pine at SLU during SLU's down era under soderberg, when his collegiate stats would put him 16th all time in scoring for the bills, 4th all time in rebounds, and 1st all time in blocked shots. JT Tiller was a phenomenal defender, and I don't need NBA success to tell me that. Would you say that Larry Hughes was a mediocre college player since he's been an NBA journeyman?

1) I don't believe its 100% official he's gone yet. This story has turned way too many times in the past 4 days for anything to be official at this point.

2) Don't come over here to beat up on SLU fans just because your boy may be leaving for greener pastures. Your posts in this thread look like you are just looking to pick a fight.

1) I don't believe its 100% official he's gone yet. This story has turned way too many times in the past 4 days for anything to be official at this point.

2) Don't come over here to beat up on SLU fans just because your boy may be leaving for greener pastures. Your posts in this thread look like you are just looking to pick a fight.

Cheesy has done that for years. From the day he started on the Board. He's extremely annoying and is a 100% Tigers fan hanging out on a SLU Board.

Can always count on Cheesy to defend MU on the Bills board. You want to bait a rat, leave out the garbage.

Yes, Norm has 9 more NCAA's then SLU as a whole. SLU has a National Championship too. I mean if we are going to go way back, then let's go way back. I think it's great that you are measuring the bar of MU against SLU though. Usually we hear how SLU is a nothing compared to MU.

I would bet you could find many coaches who have more NCAA's then SLU.

Now, here's a question for you. Norm has how many National Championships? How many Final Fours?

I ask because I am not comparing SLU to MU. I never said that anywhere.

Norm Stewart was consistently a very good coach. Did he achieve greatness, no. Was he as good as most MU fans like to think - not even close. Was he a crooked Coach? Ha. Not even going to go there.

an NIT championship. Unless Kentucky is wrong that they were the national champion that year.

Hughes has had a very solid NBA career, better than any current TIgers in the league, I would think.

edit: I don't even know what this argument is about I just wanna stand up for Larry Legend

I'm glad someone besides BRoy showed a little common sense in this thread. Good job, NH.

Mizzou folk- You can brag all you want about tournament appearances. Sure, we could use a few more here at SLU even. But, when it comes down to it, you guys have a very small number of national titles for such a "powerhouse" of a state school.

Ha.

You can praise Anderson all you want, and I too think he's a good guy and pretty good coach, but his coaching job this season was horrible. That team had talent. Anyone who thinks they didn't is crazy.

Gentlemen, please- no need for bickering. We should be optimistic about this. Assuming this is made official soon, this could be a positive for SLU. Maybe Mizzou will finally hire a coach who has the balls to sign a long-term home-and-home contract with SLU.

I'm glad someone besides BRoy showed a little common sense in this thread. Good job, NH.

Mizzou folk- You can brag all you want about tournament appearances. Sure, we could use a few more here at SLU even. But, when it comes down to it, you guys have a very small number of national titles for such a "powerhouse" of a state school.

Ha.

You can praise Anderson all you want, and I too think he's a good guy and pretty good coach, but his coaching job this season was horrible. That team had talent. Anyone who thinks they didn't is crazy.

Honestly I'm not too bent out of shape about losing Anderson, if it's true (which who knows at this point but it certainly seems that way). And Billiken Roy makes about as much sense on this thread as carpet bombing libya.

Well, I obviously forgot the MU v. SLU debate on my list of off-season topics. Glad to see we're getting this one out of the way.

If we were in the valley, we would have Blake Ahearn and and Josh Harrellson and we wouldnt have to worry about this debate.

cheesy and paying mike anderson $2m a year makes sense? the one thing i can say about anderson is he was at least classy enough to stay somewhat out of the headlines compared to the previous regime. i will continue to hate anything tiger until they get off their high horses and play the billikens on an annual basis and their fans quit acting as though they are some sort of a midwest equal programwise to north carolina. until then will i get crazy in a thread about the tigers. of course i will. that is what the tigers deserve.

Honestly, Mizzou should just let him walk. They've gotten played by him pretty much every off-season. Each time he has gotten a raise.

I've also heard he's starting to lose some of the fan base as well as support from some of the big-time boosters. So, it'd probably be smart of him to make the move now.

It's a win-win situation if he does leave.

cheesy and paying mike anderson $2m a year makes sense? the one thing i can say about anderson is he was at least classy enough to stay somewhat out of the headlines compared to the previous regime. i will continue to hate anything tiger until they get off their high horses and play the billikens on an annual basis and their fans quit acting as though they are some sort of a midwest equal programwise to north carolina. until then will i get crazy in a thread about the tigers. of course i will. that is what the tigers deserve.

I'd love to meet the tigers fans you talk to, Roy. They're nothing at all like the tigers fans I know. They sound as delusional as you.

Honestly, Mizzou should just let him walk. They've gotten played by him pretty much every off-season. Each time he has gotten a raise.

I've also heard he's starting to lose some of the fan base as well as support from some of the big-time boosters. So, it'd probably be smart of him to make the move now.

It's a win-win situation if does leave.

I agree with this. If he stays, great. If he leaves, hopefully the next coach doesn't do this every offseason.

Mizzou should hire Kim Anderson to replace Mike Anderson.

To paraphrase the late Bo Schembechler, a Missouri man will coach the Missouri team.

My take is that if Mike Anderson leaves Mizzou, it will not be good news for SLU. Depending upon his replacement, SLU will again face Mizzou as a recruiting adversary. As long as Mike Anderson is at Mizzou, and Rick Majerus is at SLU, Mizzou is no recruiting adversary for SLU.

Honestly I'm not too bent out of shape about losing Anderson, if it's true (which who knows at this point but it certainly seems that way). And Billiken Roy makes about as much sense on this thread as carpet bombing libya.

I am totally hoping MA stays. It will be years of more of the same. A "no tolerance" policy that allows tolerance and a number of years of good basketball teams, but not great.

so how many National Championships was that? And how many Final Fours? Ha.

See the thing is that line of reasoning works for fans whose team has done those things. The lack of final fours doesn't make Mizzou and SLU equivalent programs, Tonka. While Mizzou may not be one of the elite schools, it's certainly got a higher profile than SLU, regardless of an NIT championship that was won before most if not all of the posters here were alive.

I am totally hoping MA stays. It will be years of more of the same. A "no tolerance" policy that allows tolerance and a number of years of good basketball teams, but not great.

Based on reading the posts from this season, it sounds like you all would kill for mike anderson's brand of "good."

Admittedly, I was a huge Mike Anderson fan and wouldn't mind him coming back. However, I'm ambivalent about him leaving. While I realize that Mizzou is not an elite program, I think it's a solid Top 25 program that can take the next step. I do agree with Courtside that perimeter defense was drastically worse with the departure of Tiller and the Delaware transfer, whose name escapes me at the moment. I can see with the right coach, and I think it should be Texas A&M's Turgeon, that they actually take the next step.

Certainly, Anderson's style is unique, but not as unique as it was when Richardson first started that style. It's still extremely effective at home, but is less so on the road and neutral courts due to officiating differences. I think Turgeon, while a KU alum, would be a perfect fit with his disciplined, hard-nosed style and would fit perfectly in Boone County. I see a young Norm Stewart, hopefully minus the baggage.

Great. Aj the troll has crawled back out from under his rock. The last time we saw him on Billiken board he was expressing his fake outrage over the Bills losing on the road to the Sweet 16 Richmond Spiders. Even though the Bills were only down 4 with 2 minutes to go... after watching that game Aj determined it would best for the Bills to "blow up the roster" and start over.

Aj is a huge Anderson fan, but wouldn't mind seeing him go... Huh! :rolleyes: Aj will be waving the black and gold pom poms for whoever the current coach is, but when the coach uses his beloved program as a steppingstone, he'll trash him on the way out the door. IF Anderson stays, it will be funny watching the Tiger faithful try to rally around the guy that they are currently trashing.

Mizzou should hire Kim Anderson to replace Mike Anderson.

To paraphrase the late Bo Schembechler, a Missouri man will coach the Missouri team.

My take is that if Mike Anderson leaves Mizzou, it will not be good news for SLU. Depending upon his replacement, SLU will again face Mizzou as a recruiting adversary. As long as Mike Anderson is at Mizzou, and Rick Majerus is at SLU, Mizzou is no recruiting adversary for SLU.

I hate Mizzou, but I don't agree with that. Majerus probably recruits a different type of kid, but Anderson was starting to bring in some studs. And if he stays at Mizzou, he has a chance to land 2 of the 3 best players from Missouri, each of which are top-50 talents.

I hate Mizzou, but I don't agree with that. Majerus probably recruits a different type of kid, but Anderson was starting to bring in some studs. And if he stays at Mizzou, he has a chance to land 2 of the 3 best players from Missouri, each of which are top-50 talents.

I just think in general SLU and Mizzou have always gone after different players. And if they were in on the same guy it never really seems to come down to the two of them.

See the thing is that line of reasoning works for fans whose team has done those things. The lack of final fours doesn't make Mizzou and SLU equivalent programs, Tonka. While Mizzou may not be one of the elite schools, it's certainly got a higher profile than SLU, regardless of an NIT championship that was won before most if not all of the posters here were alive.

Of course it has a higher profile than SLU in regards to basketball. Did I even start off comparing the two? It was you who took a pot shot at SLU because I said something about Norm. Why is it outside of Missouri, MU Basketball is pretty much irrelevant?

It's funny, you even admit MU is your "team". Why in the world are you here on this Board? What kind of satisfaction does one get camping out on a team's Board where he isn't even a fan. Honestly, is it just to defend MU? Is life that slow, that you have the time to do that?